ICS AK74

Hissing_Sid

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they ditched the 3/4 peice gearbox.

Who copied who... G&G or ICS? That bolt looks very familar!

I dont like the hex screws on the non ejection side of the receiver.

Field stripping hand guards are cool... but I dont every really have to switch my handguards mid game.... just one more part to become loose and bug you mid game a few months down the road.

Isnt the receiver cover sopposed to be ribbed for my pleasaure?

When I first looked at that Stock and foregrip the word Oprah came to mind.

Cool thing is that the receiver is prob steel as hinted by this (OLD *albatross*) pic, too bad that means you have to screw in the gearbox.

mini-DSCN7307.jpg

They had a firing one at the Airsoft Expo last year in Ontario. Tons of people were lined up to play with it and fire off a hicap into a makeshift range they had and it seemed to shoot very smoothly. I don't see what's taking them so long to release it.

OKAY...I talked to Pat of ICS...

THis gun is coming out END OF THIS MONTH.

I've heard that one before :(

The hex screws are for an optics mount, check the website, they have the optics plate + rail advertised.

Wonder if the bolt does go back all the the way....

I wonder how well this gun can accept real gun stocks, as it seems close to the single tang rear trunnion. The front grips look like they will require modification.

That's the $64,000 question for me too. I really want a wooden-stocked AK74, but if the ICS can't take the wood pieces, I'll have to bite the expensive bullet and get a Guarder kit.

To have a real stock go on to an airsoft gun would be IMPOSSIBLE without either requiring end user modification of the stock, or drastically make the receiver look FUGLY by extending it out another 2 inches on the back to accomidate the stock block.

Even if it was a semi-easy change, I HIGHLY doubt ICS would be willing to change anything at this stage. Its not in devlopment, its in testing and is prob on a boat traveling to Airsoft Elite as we speak.

To have a real stock go on to an airsoft gun would be IMPOSSIBLE without either requiring end user modification of the stock, or drastically make the receiver look FUGLY by extending it out another 2 inches on the back to accomidate the stock block.

Even if it was a semi-easy change, I HIGHLY doubt ICS would be willing to change anything at this stage. Its not in devlopment, its in testing and is prob on a boat traveling to Airsoft Elite as we speak.

Good points. Getting RS wood stocks to fit from the factory would be nearly impossible and if they're due at the end of the month, there's no way to change them now. The only possibility now is for someone (ICS?) to come up with a conversion kit, like the G&P ones for TM AK47s.

should imagine so.

I'm pretty happy to see its got the ICS two-part gearbox- always hated taking apart the usual ones, especially CAs v2 gearbox, accursed thing

:(

and it turned out seems like they failed to develop one for v3 gear box, new pics from ICS the gear box looks like a normal v3

PICS from March :

21.jpg

PICS from current poster

icsakjan2.jpg

I think that would explain everything. Their working prototype was probably a traditional Version 3 gearbox, as they covered up the fact that they were still trying to get a working two-piece one. I think they've realized that it's a hopeless cause.

Personally, on an AK, I could care less if it was a two-piece design, as long as there was a decompression lever somewhere and it was easy to strip down to gearbox level.

The M16 series has a gearbox design that actually works with the real M16 field stripping and it makes perfect sense there, but the case is not exactly the same on an AK.

modified fire select click it up past safety and decompress ? (similar idea to the SA80)

M16 does have advantage - with the upper receiver holding the upper gearbox and barrel, that wouldnt have been viable on the AK

but... they could maybe have cast the front of the gearbox itself to act as the pivot point?

eg not a completely two part design but held together with a pivot pin that allowed the upper to tilt on the lower

Remove the pin and you have an easily seperatable two part gearbox - not as neat as on the M16 but still easier to work on than a 1 piece design? biggest prob would have been alowing the hop unit to push forwarsds enough to clear the nozzle and allow the upper to tilt (again something that isnt a prob with the M16 as barrel and hop unit tilts along with upper gearbox anyway)

stevie

• 2 weeks later...

Email I got from Z1 this morning re the ICS AK's and STAR HK range:

Hi Tom !

The Star G36 range will be in stock within 2 weeks, the ICS AK is due for release roughly next week so about 2 weeks on that as well.

Feel a bit silly about ordering that CA SLR now <_<

Archived