Well I read issue one and I thought it was OK, if not a bit lacking, so i thought I'd let them off me passing judgment untill I got issue two.

I've just read issue two and I was very very dissapointed.

I find the articles lacking in any content at all and some seem very vauge.

I will use the site review of Black Ops airsoft in Bristol as an example. They have a three page review that drones on and on about how good the facilities there are, how they have hardstanding and enough seating to sit 120 people, and wow even toilets now this goes on for two pages then they devote at leat 30 words to describe the games

And I can't help but notice they give the site 5/5 (yet most of the people I've spoken to who've beent here have said that the game styles were very basic/paintballish and they really wouldn't reccomend it for anyone but a newb I can't help but wonder if this is because Black Ops are run by Airsoft Warehouse who seem to be the main contributor to AI what with their 8 page colour center spread.....)

Then another site gets 4/5 all the way through the review and then a winning score of 5/5 (maybe they're doing this because they were a bit mean with their reviews in the first issue).

There is a whole page about GirlSoft, telling the story of some woman getting into airsoft... So what? Who is she? We don't care and it's not even very interesting.

Also the section on different teams didn't really interest me. This is a section where they go out and review one of the airsoft teams and do some photos. In issue one they interviewed a team who'd never been beaten on their home site. And why not you ask? Because nobody had ever played them...

I feel that the articles would be very good for someone whose never played airsoft before or has no idea what it is, but even then they might find it a bit lacking in content.

There are lots of adverts (like Airsoft Warehouse's 8 page colour spread where they advertise that they have 40 T34/85 TANKS in stock for only £7(ish)000 :rolleyes:) but I'm looking at the adverts and I'm looking at the articles and I'm thinking that the adverts are better written.

There is a "pimp my gun page" (I bet the Razer MP7 could win that ;) ) that just shows pictures of pimped guns but doesn't tell you how to do it, where to buy bits or even how much it costs.

The news section (by our very own Arnie) is very good in the second issue, I found it a bit "old" in the first as they were telling me that TM were bring out a new 226 when I'd been wearing it on my leg for two months. And while I understand that there will be a delay between the time the article is wrote and when the thing goes to press then gets delievered, I still think the first issue one was old news (sorry Arn)

In issue two they tell you how to look like UKSF in their wannabe section. I find it highly funny how in the words they tell you not to wear the badges and to leave that to the professionals YET in the photos all of them are wearing para wings and the like. And even though this article went on for three pages there was very little on there in the way of directions, places to get the kit, prices and the like.

So over all I think that if you are just getting into airsoft then maybe the magazine will do you some good. If you are a seasoned airsofter then it probably won't do you any good at all..

Then this rose the question in my head of, is an airsoft magazine needed in the UK?

The answer was a big old no.

Why you may ask?

Because any information I need i can get from the forums.

They have a news section. So do we here, and ASCUK.

They have adverts, so do the forums.

They have a wannabe section, I gurantee you that you can get better info and more accurate loadouts by posting in the AA Gear Forum than you will from there.

So if you want to get something to take on a train ride (it'll have to be a very short one) then this magazine will do you good. Or if you want to see adverts from the likes of 5.11, Eagle or just to laugh at the Airsoft Warehouse advert with their 40 Tanks IN STOCK then this is also the magazine for you. But if you want in depth technical help, gear related advice, the latests news and views: Stick with the forums.

Edited by xRAZERx
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its so easy to critisise - so much harder to contribute.

AI may not be perfect, and I might even broadly, somewhat agree with some of your points, but in the current climate they deserve our full support.

Why do they?

The way I look at it, if I had a gun that didn't do everything I wanted it to and one that i found lacking I wouldn't give it a good review and I wouldn't buy another....

I also have to say that i'm dissappointed. There are many good bits, like all of the pictures, but i found a huge number of typos, and that as xRAZERx said; the articles were very vague and contained a lot of droning.

For example the article about the woman getting into airsoft was pretty much pointless. I didn't see what good it did.

The "Young Guns" article was obivously written by a young player, which might be the aim of it, but instead he drones on about whatever and even asks the reader for advice on where to buy stuff! Isn't he meant to be giving us advice? He sounds a bit incompetent to me.

But one of the most dissapointing thing of all for me was that they didn't live up to their promise. If you look at issue 1, they say that they will be customising the M4S and the M15A2 in the next issue, which they don't. They also promise DVD and games reviews which they didn't have (not that i wanted them or anything, its just a bit annoying, when they say one thing and do another).

A minor problem could also be that the skirmish site guide at the back is out of date with prices and website details, at least for my local site.

All i can is that i hope that the mag improves, or i'll stop buying it. £3.50 is quite a lot of money. I could buy FHM or something or even spend it on a double bacon cheeseburger at my skirmish site, which would be a far better investment ;)

Edited by Architect

An interesting review but unfortunately flawed in it's conclusion. In order to become a more widely accepted sport and ultimately grow and be tolerated by narrow-minded busy bodies who would sooner see it banned Airsoft NEEDS a magazine...it lends credibility and spreads the word to potential newcomers who right now have never heard of airsoft but will hopefully see the mag in WHSmith and take a look.

A girl page? What's wrong with that if it encourages girls to get involved? Angelica plays at Black Ops.....she's nice. Leave her alone :P

Airsoft Warehouse? You really have a thing about them for some reason....I dunno why.... they are the only supplier for miles around with a big showroom packed to the max with a variety of gear at good prices and regular stock deliveries.

Sites scoring too highly? But before you predicted a 3/5 for Black Ops because that was all AI ever gave out? How to win I wonder?

I actually enjoy reading the mag....I take your point that some articles may be lacking in in-depth info but it's only issue 2 and will undoubtedly improve as they get more and more feedback. And you have to remember that the mag has to appeal to all readers, newbies and hardcore alike AND attract people to the sport that currently haven't heard of it. Packing it with techy jargon is going to put a lot of people off and that wont help the sport grow now will it?

My only real critisicm is that more space should have been dedicated to the VCR bill rather than just Arnies short piece. Pulling together all the KNOWN FACTS and posting links for players to contact to do their bit rather than leaving people to stumble round the forums picking the wheat from the chaff. Not everyone has regular access to a PC remember.

There, I think that's balanced things up a bit. AI......can I have my free subscription now??!!!! ;)

A girl page? What's wrong with that if it encourages girls to get involved? Angelica plays at Black Ops.....she's nice. Leave her alone  :P

Well if you want an article on GirlSoft maybe we should get a woman whose been into the sport for a while to contribute. I and everyone else I've spoken to agreed that her part of the mag was one of thwe wrost and it made the least sense to include. yes she probably is a nice person but there are millions of nice people who soft. Maybe they'll all get a page too...

Airsoft Warehouse? You really have a thing about them for some reason....I dunno why.... they are the only supplier for miles around with a big showroom packed to the max with a variety of gear at good prices and regular stock deliveries.

And so do other shops like AA in Cannock. But look at the magazine, almost every other page has the AW logo on it (oh and the BirdSofter also plays at their site and her hubby shops in AW) so no wonder their site got a good review...

There, I think that's balanced things up a bit. AI......can I have my free subscription now??!!!!  ;)

You're only being nice about it because they have your photo in it :P

And on the subject of them using the mag to bring people into the sport as it is only for sale in Airsoft retailers I think that their plan has fallen at the first hurdle...

ALSO how many times have you walked into Smiths and picked up a magazine then started doing a hobby because of it...

You're only being nice about it because they have your photo in it :P

He he...twice actually....but I'll forgive you for not recognizing either as they are both silhouttey. Thats me behind the Black hay bale in the site review too.

Its true...the retailers...AW in particular ARE carrying the mag to some extent to help get it off the ground.....this obviously is reciprocated by the odd plug here and there. But thats good....this mag NEEDS to succeed to help this sport stay alive. I'm amazed you can't see how important it is.

He he...twice actually....but I'll forgive you for not recognizing either as they are both silhouttey. Thats me behind the Black hay bale in the site review too.

Its true...the retailers...AW in particular ARE carrying the mag to some extent to help get it off the ground.....this obviously is reciprocated by the odd plug here and there. But thats good....this mag NEEDS to succeed to help this sport stay alive. I'm amazed you can't see how important it is.

Come on in that one photo you look a bit camp... :P

No, I really can't. The sport survived without a magazine for years before.

And on the subject of them using the mag to bring people into the sport as it is only for sale in Airsoft retailers I think that their plan has fallen at the first hurdle...

ALSO how many times have you walked into Smiths and picked up a magazine then started doing a hobby because of it...

Only last week I went in for a copy of Guns and War Death and Destruction Monthly, my eye fell on Crocheting Weekly and I now have a large collection of hand crafted tea cosies......erm probably....

The plan is to get it into newsagents but they are trialling first with the retailers as its a way to get the name around first so that the first issue on newstands doesnt totally flop.....

Only last week I went in for a copy of Guns and War Death and Destruction Monthly, my eye fell on Crocheting Weekly and I now have a large collection of hand crafted tea cosies......erm probably....

The plan is to get it into newsagents but they are trialling first with the retailers as its a way to get the name around first so that the first issue on newstands doesnt totally flop.....

But why would newsagents stock it? I mean how big will their audience be in things like

Mr Smiths local news (for local people) in EmptyVille NoWhereshire won't take it because nobody around airsofts and they've never been in to ask if they stock the magazine....

But why would newsagents stock it? I mean how big will their audience be in things like

Mr Smiths local news (for local people) in EmptyVille NoWhereshire won't take it because nobody around airsofts and they've never been in to ask if they stock the magazine....

They stock all sorts of weird stuff that you would think no-one was interested in....but it still sells. We'll have to wait and see I guess...its pointless speculating. Its just in our darkest hour, with a total ban on the horizon I don't get why you can't see the importance of the mag and that supporting it will not only help make the mag better in the long term but may help keep the sport alive full stop.

There is more to people than their jobs...

erm...yeah, i know....

They stock all sorts of weird stuff that you would think no-one was interested in....but it still sells. We'll have to wait and see I guess...its pointless speculating. Its just in our darkest hour, with a total ban on the horizon I don't get why you can't see the importance of the mag and that supporting it will not only help make the mag better in the long term but may help keep the sport alive full stop.

Yes I know they do, but my local newsagent won't stock one magazine I want because he thinks there'll be no call for it beyond me, even though it's a massive thing. So how will AI get out there?

erm...yeah, i know....

I can see the logic, but that would mean you'd expect us to buy the magazine even if it is rubbish, just so that we could show that we support our sport.

I agree that the magazine has potential, but as it currently stands, it has NO substance and nothing that isn't already available.

I'd rather just send the money to SaveAirsoft.......

An interesting review but unfortunately flawed in it's conclusion. In order to become a more widely accepted sport and ultimately grow and be tolerated by narrow-minded busy bodies who would sooner see it banned Airsoft NEEDS a magazine...it

What has that got to do with it? Razer read both issues and didn't like it. That's his conclusion. Your assertion that the sport needs a publication to prop itself up may be worthy doesn't take anything away from the fact Razer didn't think much of the magazine. You are getting off topic.

I haven't read Airsoft International, but I can say this; some of the criticisms levelled at it by Razer and others in this thread could have been fairly levelled at the equivalent issues of SZM.

Girls in airsoft is worth doing, it's harmless, slightly titillating fun, as are reviews, but -and I think I've mentioned this before somewhere- editorial Independence is key. When Steve Cheshire at Airsoft Armoury lent (note LENT) me tackle to review, more than once he said, look, we both know some of this gear isn't top notch. If you aren't honest about it, I won't *lend* you any more stuff. Having discussed this retrospectively with SC, I think I did an OK job. Constantly bigging up your major advertiser, if that is what has happened, is a very silly thing to to and it will be the undoing of AI.

I can see the logic, but that would mean you'd expect us to buy the magazine even if it is rubbish, just so that we could show that we support our sport.

I agree that the magazine has potential, but as it currently stands, it has NO substance and nothing that isn't already available.

I'd rather just send the money to SaveAirsoft.......

Well put, my thoughts exactly. They need to sort out some decent articles and reviews then maybe it might be worth considering but till then, no thanks.

I'll add my claim to fame for no reason other than to stop this bitching :P :

I got shot in the lip by the guy on the front cover from 1 meter away yesterday :D

Care-Stadium.jpg

mmm... why am i making fun of myself ? :P

Back on a serious note, as Aurelious said, I'm not going to buy a magazine just to keep the sport going. Might as well just start an airsoft Charity. I like the idea of an airsoft mag, but if it's to have any success in the future, and if it wants me to buy it, then it's gonna need to change.

And the thing is I'm not alone in this. A number of people I spoke to at Arniegeddon about issue one felt very patronised by the reviews (esp the one telling you how to load a GBB mag) and then everyone I have shown issue two to has made the same comments, that they think it could be a lot better also that they wouldn't buy it...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...obviously....and no you're not going to buy something if you dont feel youre getting something out of it...my point is that I think a successful mag will help lift the sport to a higher level and reduce the risk of it being destroyed. And in that aim I think we should support it whatever AND by giving feedback make it better and more what we ALL want to read (ie not just have it focused on the hard core techies but be interesting to people at all levels).

Slagging it off and basically saying its a pointless excercise and people should use the net instead doesnt do that....hence I felt the conclusion was ultimately unconstructive. The other points in Razers review are personal opinon and I agree with some of them.... hopefully someone will take them on board and use them as appropriate in shaping future issues.

OK then in the interests of fairness I've showed Ai to my non airsofting other half and she made the following comments

"Do you know the people who wrote it?"

No, I don't.

"What's this bit about that woman got to do with anything"

Good question...

"Do airsoft warehouse own this magazine"

OK, I know that AI needs people to sponsor it to keep it going but even when a non softer can see that it's virtually a "AW advert" then I can't see the point in it....