• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, time for me to 'fess up. I'm the Tech Ed for AI - yes, the poor sod who spends far too much than is healthy looking at the guns in microcosm - and no its not as much fun as you'd think (you try and think of a polite way of writing "this product is sh!te!) Between my full-time job and the work on AI, i put in regular 12 hour days - and for this reason, I dont get much chance to look round all the forums. Therefore, if anyone *does* have any constructive suggestions, please feel free to drop me a line at jay@ai-mag.com

Regarding the balance of technical/review articles, it's a very difficult balance to get - what will be useful to one person, will not be to the taste of another. You can't please all the people, all the time.

I've seen a few negative posts on here - thats cool, everyone has their own opinions (thank god, it'd be a boring world if people didnt have opinions!) - but if we at AI are to truly make a magazine that will last, then we need your feedback....

Edited by QQexDERA

Speaking as somebody coming back into Airsoft after a good 10 year break, i have to say that while i disagree with the majority of this review, i can see where you are coming from.

I've bought both issues of AI now in order to help me get back upto speed on the current scene, and have to say that i believe the first one to be better. I was looking forward to this second issue and on the whole wasn't too disappointed, although it did come across as lighter in content than the first one. I was especially waiting for the 2nd part of the Bolle Article before buying a new pair of glasses/goggles and was a bit upset with the 1 page i found this time.

Now i know that, that information could be found on the web in a number of locations, but how independent are those reviews? At least with this magazine from what i have seen so far they are trying to be quite independent. Yes, their major sponsor at the moment seems to be Airsoft Warehouse, so, they stock a large spread of kit and are not tied to any one manufacturer so there's no problem as far as i can see (Apart from the absence of the nice Blonde in their 4 page spread this time).

This i think could be the biggest selling point of the magazine, their independence! We all know that certain groups amongst us favour doing things in certain ways or using certain kit, look at the whole mp5 vs m4 debate. But as long as AI continues to use a vast pool of resources for its articles, Arnie included (Nice job so far matey) i think it should be quite independant and that if we have problems with it - Let them know! After all, if the people the magazine is aimed at don't like it then they aren't going to make any money, so i imagine them being only too glad to hear what we've got to say.

In reference to the site reviews in issue two, i do think that they weren't as good as in the first issue. Now i've played at black ops recently and while reading the review i thought that it was missing the second half! It did highlight the benefits that the site has, but could have done with carrying on into the games and whole day rundown in a bit more detail as i thoroughly enjoyed the site and thought that this could have done more to "spread the word" about a good new site.

In reference to the whole "girlsoft" issue, i really don't see your problem? In the majority airsofters are blokes and i think that it's really nice to see the ladies getting involved (although i still think that they're more scary than any bloke i know when playing!!) and reading this short article about how one got involved and how she is really enjoying it was a nice aside and added to the "encompass ALL airsofters" content of the magazine. My wife who doesn't play, thought that the article was "mildly" interesting even if it didn't encourage her to start playing :( But you never know it may encourage other, so good on it.

The technical articles so far i think have been especially interesting. Yes, once again that information is available on the internet, but you have to go look for it, and if you're not thinking about looking into that area in the first place you're not likely to go looking for it. So stumbling across it in AI (especially the gas magazine article) did make me think about an area that i may not have otherwise.

As somebody who has started reading (and occasionally tries to add to) Arnies and other Airsoft resources i thought that the overall content of the magazine, in trying to cater for all levels of players is a really good start and something that they can build on for the future.

Personally my biggest gripe would be that i would like to see is more companies advertising in there. Yes i know we can view it all on the Inerweb, but having good adverts at hand and able to compare kit at any time as thoughts strike i.e. do i REALLY want to add a green laser to a SPAS? and not having to log on the computer to look things up is really nice.

In contrast to some posters here me, my team members and everyone i've spoken to about the magazine think that it's a really good start and if not perfect yet then it's going in the right direction. So lets get them to hear comments like Razers and make a publication that the whole community can find interesting (at least in places)

• 3 weeks later...
So they shouldn't bother to change their style of writing because I'm not going to buy the mag. nevermind trying to tempt me back into buying it>?

Razer

I am a Doctor of psychology, and after spending many hours reading your reviews I have decided you are a perfect subject as one of my psychiatry patients... here is what I have deduced from your incoherent ramblings so far: -

1. You are probably in your mid 40's and still live with your mother

2. You have never had a proper girlfriend

3. You have never left the country (apart from a Lad's holiday to Magaluf)

4. You only play airsoft so you can spend time with young men in uniform!

5. You have a very big gun to make up where you are oh so lacking in other 'manly' areas

6. You idolise hitler and probably have neo-nazi tendencies

If you want to sign up as my patient, let me know I would be more than happy to give you free therapy

The Brain Doctor

p.s. Razor is spelt R-A-Z-O-R, or are you trying to be ironic?????

Razer

I am a Doctor of psychology, and after spending many hours reading your reviews I have decided you are a perfect subject as one of my psychiatry patients... here is what I have deduced from your incoherent ramblings so far: -

5. You have a very big gun to make up where you are oh so lacking in other 'manly' areas

If you want to sign up as my patient, let me know I would be more than happy to give you free therapy

The Brain Doctor

:rofl:

Oh how wrong you are on all counts excpet the spelling of my name,a nd then it means something totally different to what you think it does so it's spelt right.

Also why did it take you hours to read my reviews? I've only done four. But I agree you must have the brain level of a four year old so reading probably takes you a little longer.

Do you work for AI in some way?

So you felt compelled to sign up to a site to post that and then you're telling me you have mental issues I think you need to get a mirror and take a good long look into it.

Edited by xRAZERx

Oh goody, the trolls have arrived. Is that what passes for wit, elsewhere these days? :rolleyes:

QQexdera: I endeavoured to produce some constructive criticism on page 2 - I hope that 's of some use. I'm happy to e-mail it to whoever if it helps AI at all - I must confess I considered the idea, but after seeing the reception another reader got on another forum (even if the reader did come across as a bit of a muppet - I'm referring to the chap who was unhappy with the prizes his missus won), I must admit I was put off somewhat from contacting any members of your magazine, lest I received a similar response. If that was an exception rather than the norm though, then I'm sure people will be happy to offer feedback. :)

Edited by Marlowe

*Sigh* Sadly, you've decided to troll on a forum that actually holds events. As such, a lot of us know each other and are literally wetting ourselves with laughter at just how inaccurate your analysis of xRAZERx is. As such, your analytical abilities have convinced me that you are actually a roadsweeper who was once hit on the head by a copy of Freud's "The Psychopathology of Everyday Life."

Now, care to tell us why you signed up?

:zorro:

I've only skimmed a copy of issue 2 a couple of times, most of the stuff i had read elsewhere. Although i'm sure that it has been mentioned that its nice just to have a mag to read on the bus/khazi etc. I thought the content was pretty good and i'm sure it will pick up after another couple of issues.

Razer

The Brain Doctor

Really? Sadly PhD's from the back of cornflake packets and imaginary consultations with invisible patients don't quantify one as a 'Dr'. ;)

If you're just posting to become the latest forum troll and make silly claims against another user because they have quoted their opinion on something that you disagree with, then why not just say that you disagree and post your contrasting opinion on the subject?

Many positive comments about AI have been made in comparison to the few negative ones (for one it's basically impossible for a magazine to be more up to date than online material).

If you're a friend of Pauls or the people behind AI, that's cool however I don't think that defending the matter in the vein you have decided to take adds much merit to your words.

Hell I write and submit work for each issue at request and I didn't take offence to what was said above, I'm not quite sure why you obviously did.

P.S. Your other "schizophrenic" accounts have been cordially banned:

Athena angelandmambo@hotmail.co.uk

bushy angelfish101@hotmail.co.uk

Like wound ballistics ones? ;)

AH hahahaha ;)

Oh my, I still buy AI, even though i consuider it to be a tad on the ###### side (polite way of saying it is ######) be aswell support them, they can only get better, they can't get any worse :D and my mates seem to like reading them.

To all those that have emailed/PM'd me. To those that I took some time to respond to, my appologies. I dont seem to have time to get half done of what id like to!

Thanks for the positive and negative comments. It all helps (even if reading the negative stuff does get you down after a while ;) ) - then again, Airsoft is good for getting it out of the system :)

Cheers

Jay

• 6 months later...

Well it would seem that initail view of this "magazine" were correct. Now that it has gone live with WH Smiths and Mr Monaf is talking of running away to the US (where I'm sure they'll love the out of date news and articles about Action Man, but I'll admit he has a lot of loadouts...)

Now that the magazine is available in Smiths, they'll be republishing articles from before (like the MP7 review).

Some things for you to think over.

Taken from the AI website

Advertising Rates

Display Rates      

1 6 12

A4 Page £950.00 £800.00 £650.00

1/2 Page £550.00 £450.00 £400.00

1/4 Page £275.00 £200.00 £150.00

Banner Advertising      

Site Sponsor £600.00 £450/00 £375.00

Banner £350.00 £275.00 £180.00

To place your advertising in

Contact Paul Monaf

paul@ai-mag.com

£950 for a full page ad (plus VAT) he must be raking it in. No wonder that his issues have 10 more pages of ads alone and the price has gone up, so not only are we paying more but Mr Monaf is making more. But not only that but the issue was sponsored by UbiSoft so once again he's raking it in..

Well okay one more post- you lot might be able to help me out with seeing your so concerned about Ai

Im currently looking through the fleet lease companies with the objective of ordering a few vehicles

Now I know the wife wants a Mini cooper soft top so that’s gone onto the list, but im not sure if I should go for a BMW X5 or M3 do you think i should get both the

X5 to go to sites in and the m3 to use as week day car

Oh and seeing Ai is on sale in the US as of issue three I’m also looking at villas in the  in the US so we can set up base there. Now the wife wants place in Kissimmee its close to Disney and all that and the kids would love it

Thanks

Paul

But this is the attitude he is taking on other forums.(can anyone say smug git?) If this guy is the face of airsoft then god help us.

He claims that everyone, but a select few like the Young Guns section and the Toy Soldiers part. But I have yet to meet a person face to face who says they're any good.

So to sum up, what do we have.

A magazine that has about 55 pages, most of them are adverts and that averages about a grand a page, some articles (that will be republished in further issues) that in themselves are adverts. And some rubbish about Barbies Commando Boyfriend (but fear not you can find out in the next issue how to make you 1/16th toy look like it's really been in the field...

So the AI crew, hope you enjoy cruising round in your rented X5 while you wipe your *albartroth* with £50 notes.... The rest of us will just use andrex (slightly higher paper quality and cheaper than your mag.)

Don't forget Paul. We, the airsoft community, pay your wages (and I sense you're about to get your P45...

Edited by xRAZERx

I have come across one of his posts on a ` one sixth` forum which points to his idea of starting a toy soldier mag, I believe he`s `testing the water` by putting similar articles in AI. I am disturbed that AI isn`t a purely airsoft mag, and he does seem an ambitious lad who has seen an opening with airsoft to gain a foothold in the magazine market. I did buy issue 1-5 but there isn`t enough solid content in the mag to make me purchase it again. Has anyone considered a free online mag in the form of a PDF, there must be enough people willing to participate on this forum alone. :unsure:

I have come across one of his posts on a ` one sixth` forum which points to his idea of starting a toy soldier mag, I believe he`s `testing the water` by putting similar articles in AI. I am disturbed that AI isn`t a purely airsoft mag, and he does seem an ambitious lad who has seen an opening with airsoft to gain a foothold in the magazine market. I did buy issue 1-5 but there isn`t enough solid content in the mag to make me purchase it again. Has anyone considered a free online mag in the form of a PDF, there must be enough people willing to participate on this forum alone.  :unsure:

Now thats a good idea.

I agree with you Razer when you state that the forums are the best source for news & reviews. It is the most unmoderated and unfiltered medium available to airsoft players, and thus is the most informative as well. I do however disagree with you saying that the UK does not need an airsoft magazine. If companies are paying 1,000pounds per full page then they must believe it to be worth it. And from that sole fact, AI magazine has a very valid existence.

It's a *beep* magazine, but so are most on the shelves. It is the only major UK airsoft magazine, so it gets bought. Airsoft International will not go away, untill more airsoft magazines appear and drive it out of the market.

Well it would seem that initail view of this "magazine" were correct. Now that it has gone live with WH Smiths and Mr Monaf is talking of running away to the US (where I'm sure they'll love the out of date news and articles about Action Man, but I'll admit he has a lot of loadouts...)

Now that the magazine is available in Smiths, they'll be republishing articles from before (like the MP7 review).

Some things for you to think over.

Taken from the AI website

£950 for a full page ad (plus VAT) he must be raking it in. No wonder that his issues have 10 more pages of ads alone and the price has gone up, so not only are we paying more but Mr Monaf is making more. But not only that but the issue was sponsored by UbiSoft so once again he's raking it in..

But this is the attitude he is taking on other forums.(can anyone say smug git?) If this guy is the face of airsoft then god help us.

He claims that everyone, but a select few like the Young Guns section and the Toy Soldiers part. But I have yet to meet a person face to face who says they're any good.

So to sum up, what do we have.

A magazine that has about 55 pages, most of them are adverts and that averages about a grand a page, some articles (that will be republished in further issues) that in themselves are adverts. And some rubbish about Barbies Commando Boyfriend (but fear not you can find out in the next issue how to make you 1/16th toy look like it's really been in the field...

So the AI crew, hope you enjoy cruising round in your rented X5 while you wipe your *albartroth* with £50 notes.... The rest of us will just use andrex (slightly higher paper quality and cheaper than your mag.)

Don't forget Paul. We, the airsoft community, pay your wages (and I sense you're about to get your P45...

Think you've missed the sarcasm on the X5 comment. Im the Tech editor on AI, and I can tell you that i'd be living in cloud cookoo land if i believed that for a second. Plus, X5's are for for women in chelsea and blokes who arent quite sure which team they bat for ;)

Wipe my *albartroth* with £50 notes? yet again, chance would be a fine thing. I do a full time job in addition to working on Ai.

Your comments on the advertising rates & supposed "profit" show a total lack of knowledge about the publishing industry. Then again, if you're not in the industry its very difficult to gauge just how much design, print, distribution, incidentals, expenses, contributor remuneration, banking charges, non-payment of outstanding debts, marketing, accounting, tax, VAT etc etc cost. To say that ive had to learn a lot about an industry thats as far removed from my normal employment in the defence industry as its possible to get is an understatment.

Being blunt, I see it from the "other side", and frankly, there are a lot of people out there who see things as "income = profit", not the reality of "income - costs = profit"

Hell, regarding your forums comment, I agree. I use forums for up to date news and to chat/argue/rant about most things in the Airsoft world :) . However, they are by no means the be-all and end-all of Airsoft.

xRAZERx - what skirmish site do you frequent?, i'd be interested in meeting up for a shoot and a beer (pints on me - and no, i wont be able to pay with a £50 note lol ) and a lively discussion about the pro's and con's of Ai :D

Regards

Jay