.12, .20 .25 g BBs

QMERICA

I have a TM, and i've only shot about 2000 rounds. I only used .20 and .25 g BBs.

Can any body tell me why i cant use .12's? why not? Or can i?

Well thecnally you can, as long as they are good quality. But they are llighter and there fore less accurate. I would stay with .2's and .25's

:Dr_Evil:

.12s are generally not very well molded, and can jam an aeg very easily, especially on full-auto. (EDIT: The ones they sell out here anyway)

Also, accuracy becomes pretty much non-existant. (seeing my friend run his aeg on .20s, then .12s)

Only two posts, and yet so much wrong. I see other people typing, but I'll throw my $.02 in anyway.

1) You have a TM what?

2) As with any other pellet weight, if you're using good quality, .12s aren't going to shatter.

4) What happened to 3?

5) .12s can be useful in low powered springers, moscarts and support weapons. In springers, you may find the spring isn't up to firing heavier pellets a useful distance. You get more range from a moscart loaded with .12s than with heavier ammo, and accuracy isn't an issue. Some people with support weapons like M249s use a mix of weights to get varying range in a burst.

3) Ah, here it is.

:zorro:

BB Weights in AEG's

.2= range

.23= Perfect mix of range/accuracy

.25= accuracy

.30-.46= sniper(upgraded PSG1, Sg1)

.12=pray

Thats not true, .25 are better than .2 for range. Up to 50 feet .2 is faster but farther than 50 feet .25 retains its speed better than .2. Therefore, if you want range, you want to use .25. .2 is for CQB when you have close range and you want high fps.

Dont belive me? Go here :D

Okay, let's clear this up.

Sweeping generalizations about the performance of a particular weight of BB are moot. Variables exist, and that's why there are different weights of BB.

Arrange the common BB weights along a scale in your mind. If you are firing different weights of BB out of the same gun, the following will apply:

Lighter BB's will be affected by hopup MORE, you will have to turn your hopup down.

Lighter BB's will attain MORE velocity out of the same gun. However,

Lighter BB's will lose their velocity against air resistance FASTER than heavier BB's. Your flight path will therefore be MORE of an arc.

Lighter BB's will be affected by the wind MORE, and will be more prone to getting blown off course or off target.

Heavier BB's will be affected by hopup LESS, and you will have to turn your hopup up.

Heavier BB's will attan LESS velocity than a lighter BB out of the same gun. However,

Heavier BB's will retain their velocity and lose it due to air resitance SLOWER than lighter BB's. Your flight path will be flatter.

Heavier BB's are affected by the wind less and will be less prone to being blown off target.

Broad generalizations about range cannot be made without testing or at the very least the input of more variables. Neither lighter of heavier BB's always have more/less range - This will be based entirely on the gun from which the BB's are being fired. A lower powered gun could very easily get more useful range ouf of a lighter BB than a heaver one, and vise versa for a more powerful gun, but this is not always the case. Other factors, such as the guns hopup (if any) and its adjustability, barrel length, and so forth will also play a role.

The quality of the BB's will matter, of course, and if you can get ahold of BB's of good quality and multiple weights your best bet is to test them all and see which one YOU think works best.

The above linked thread had absolutely no information on BB weights. It contained one unsubstantiated generalization, one "search, n00b" whine, and one link to Unconventional Airsoft that had... Nothing to do with BB weight.

Personally, I have no problem writing a page or two for the record. Kudos to Sledge for more of the same. Everyone else, get over yourselves.

The above linked thread had absolutely no information on BB weights. It contained one unsubstantiated generalization, one "search, n00b" whine, and one link to Unconventional Airsoft that had... Nothing to do with BB weight.

Dude, can you read? Here's a quote from the above linked thread

There were a few discussions on how the weight of BBs affect range. And the consensus most of us have reached from first order analysis and some experimental evidence was that for 1j energy, the .2g BB has greater initial muzzle velocity, but it also experiences higher air-resistance and decceleration, which cause its speed to drop faster than that of .25g BBs, and the .25g BBs actually will outrange the .2g BBs, and will be slightly less affected by wind.

All the analysis involved will apply similarly to a comparison between .12g and .2g BBs (but I haven't worked out the details, so don't quote me on that), so I'd recommend you get at least .2g BBs if you are serious about shooting them, and .25g BBs if you are willing to pay for the extra range and accuracy. Those .12g are good for casual plinking especially you don't want to spend too much.

Archived