The look of XM's?

onidemonXLR

Hows the look of the XM8 style rifles compared to Armalites  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Hows the look of the XM8 style rifles compared to Armalites

• They look beautiful and are a beacon of the future. I like them
    • BAH! they look like plasticed up weenie versions of the good old American firearm the AR-15!
    • They look like Hamburgers
    • They look like fish and might taste good with chips!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The major downfall of the US Army during Vietnam was pulling out too early. Had we stayed longer, we would have won.

Topic - G36s look much better than the XM8

I thought the major downfall was using low capacity magazines filled with low caliber ammunition, and fighting people with high capacity magazines filled with high caliber ammunition.

There were a lot of downfalls in Vietnam, denying that troop moral was a factor is like denying that meat tastes good. And meat tastes pretty damn good. Look at all of the historical battles that were won because the troops were willing and wanting to fight. And look at... well, Vietnam, where it was the troops didn't want to be there, and didn't care about the outcome of the war.

The downfall of Vietnam was going to Vietnam. It wasn't a war Americans supported.

Now framing Al Qaida for the 9/11 attacks was a good idea for getting Americans willing to fight.

Aaron

Anything which moves us closer to looking like it's the future already is fine by me. This is why I love tiny bits of technology like the iPod nano and the motorola V3. The year is TWO THOUSAND AND FIVE dammit! We should have interplanetary space soldiers and stuff by now! Get a move on people!

Anything which moves us closer to looking like it's the future already is fine by me. This is why I love tiny bits of technology like the iPod nano and the motorola V3. The year is TWO THOUSAND AND FIVE dammit! We should have interplanetary space soldiers and stuff by now! Get a move on people!

QFT.

*scientists scratch their heads and embark on a 20 year study to determine why an American just agreed with a Frenchman*

*Scientists are given a research grant*

*Because of this, the Center for the Study of Interplanetary Space Soldiering doesn't recieve enough funding, and is torn down to make way for a skate park*

noo! Why do my evil schemes always result in the destruction of what they try to create?

Seriously dude, I'm not actually French ;)

I would love it if the US adopted the XM8. I'd love it more if they just bit the bullet and admitted that the G36 is a perfectly fine rifle for them to adopt, but that's just not going to happen :)

*starts evil corporation with secret mars base, interplanetary flight and SPACE SOLDIERS DAMMIT! WITH BIG ROBOT SUITS AND COOL ARMOUR AND STUFF!*

Gotta give it to the British, the Power Suits of Warhammer 40k are pretty tempting :P

Right, Althought not being to particularly happy with my government at the moment, I must say that sledges accusation of the M1 Garand is miss placed. The M1 garand was labeled one of the finest weapons of the 40's, 50's, and 60's next to its brethren the BAR and Thompson SMG. M1 Garands were later designed to have the ability to pull out the clip and replace it a full one however whats to say that your not going to shoot it till its out anyways?

As far as armalites are concerned, Its been working for 40+ years now, I see no issue in changinge to give it a break, but please to god NOT with the XM8. I actually wouldnt mind seeing the US Army outfited with G36's, or G3's. But please anything but the XM8, if we wont change to a European Rifle that has the looks of real men (i'm not saying the M16 doesnt) dont change. I'd rather have an Armalite that can shoot 6000 rounds and have to be cleaned, then a gun that can shoot 2000000 rounds and doesnt have to be cleaned. Point being, if i have to clean it, then I know its going to fire a bullet out the end of the gun, and not back into my face because of a misfire. As far as looks, has anyone seen the XM8's competition? it looks no better and who has the need of a 20mm Airburst round?!?!?!one!shift/

Again Point is: Change to European>XM8, but replace M16's (and variants) with XM8 is a BAAAAD IDEA.

Screw 9mm and screw 5.56mm...Lets just take back our old 1911's and M14's! Menly mens guns. Mhm.

Amen, M14's and 1911's FTW! Dang UN convincing us to change to the 5.56 is just hell. Argh i suppose thats Gineva isnt it.... W/E :D:flamed::flamed::flamed:

Holy sh!t... :rolleyes:

Do we really need again such a stupid topic?

The comments of the Americans are always the same:

*blahhhh they look fish*

*blaaahhh the AR15 looks so much better*

*blaaaaaaaaahhhh the AR15 is so reliable and so much better than every other weapon on the planet*

*blllllllaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh the AR15 is American so it's the best rifle on earth*

*bllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh we need a bigger calibre, because bigger is better and even if our soldiers are unable to aim properly, the elephant killing round will solve all our problems in Iraq*

I can't stand it any longer... do you really believe this BS?

What I do not know is why the military doesnt just adopt the G36, if theyre so interested in it.  They seem to be spending alot of time and money to reformat it, when the original format isnt that bad in the first place.

Because it wouldn't be an AMERICAN gun. :rolleyes:

*blahhhh they look fish*

*blaaaaaaaaahhhh the AR15 is so reliable and so much better than every other weapon on the planet*

*bllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh we need a bigger calibre, because bigger is better and even if our soldiers are unable to aim properly, the elephant killing round will solve all our problems in Iraq*

Stop and think for one second... "The comments of the Americans..."

WE are the ones re-arming. WE will be the ones affected by this. And WE are the ones that will be making the decision. And you're views above are just plain wrong. Those are not the reasons we don't like the XM8. Here's a few real reasons we don't like it:

-Its lightweight, and plastic. This makes us nervous, as we aren't used to plastic rifles. We just haven't had enough time to trust them.

-It has a red-dot, and "optional" crappy flip up sights. Training soldiers marksmanship with reddot scopes is also something we're worried about, as it takes away from basic marksmanship, and turns toward video-gaming marksmanship.

-It has not been battle tested enough for us to determine that it is a good rifle. We aren't just going to buy it because the Germans tell us it's good. We'll want to find out.

-Buying XM8's means buying a lot of XM8 magazines. It is a big expence, and we want to be 100% sure that it is what we want before we throw all of that money and trust at a rifle.

Sorry, I forgot to say blllaaaahhh before all of those points. If you'll let it slide, maybe I won't neg rep you for condescending my people.

Aaron

*blahhhh they look fish*

I beg to differ. I love the looks of the xm8. If taxes dont skyrocket* than I wouldn't mind the US getting xm8's instead of armalites.

*note I do not pay taxes, but if taxes want up than my parents would be bitching like no other

:Dr_Evil:

I love the XM8 to bits, I think it is the future, maybe not the gun we will use, but the start of a new generation of military small arms. I wouldn't mind seeing our soldiers use G36s though. But, we can't be the judges of what happens, because unless you've had first hand with experience with the firearms in question, I dont think it's right to make a 100% accurate accusation or complaint. Just because it looks weird and its plastic doesn't mean everything. We'll just have to see how it plays out...

But in the mean time, lets burn the M9s and start handing out .45s :D

I'm an M8 supporter. I like it. Not only how it looks etc, but it will perform as well as a G36 (i.e. very well indeed) and is designed well.

Materials might be 'plasticy' but advanced polymers dont rust and have many advantages over metals.

It's also about ergonomics over looks. All those who have actually handled one are very very impressed with how comfortable it is to use. (gleaned from excerpts from various web sources - so not trustworthy, but highly likely to be true as all opinions seem concurrent)

Personal taste, they look cool... it's perhaps the only reason to watch xXx2, and then only the first 5 minutes. Please stop after that or you'll be sick.

As for the what am bestest country's guns debate, I think the only real point to consider is "will it kill the guy I shoot at? Yes? fine, works for me..." (perhaps you should add "at better range, speed and r.o.f then he's got")

And just to show I'm not a H+K fanboi (well not completely anyway) I can't stand the MP7... at all... no way.

ok...here we go...

I am a supporter of the XM8 and I have gotten to hold the airsoft version of it...which to this day I cant find a stronger gun...and it just feels...right...and I plan on buying a G36C to make it an XM8...

Now...onto Vietnam...we lost because our Generals didn't know *fruitcage* about fighting a war...and when our troops were sent in with the M16 the Army...in all their godly wisdom...changed the type of powder that was used, not the powder the creator intended...which led to jamming of rifles

Also when our troops were sent in they were told that the M16 didn't need to be cleaned...then about the middle of the war the generals looked at their mailbox which was filled with letters telling them that the Army's..."god rifle" was jamming in combat...a prompt oh ****! happened and the Army issued comic books that showed the troops how to clean their rifles...to gain the troops attention to the books the Army had "suggestive" pictures in them...

The last...and most important reason we lost is that our troops where hiding behind trees and concrete walls...only to find that the AK-47 can easily shoot through trees and walls!...so while we are hiding the farmers with their $99 gun are shooting through the trees and hitting us with little or no effort...

Surely there are lots of other US guns tht haven't been mentioned...

ie, Barrett .50s, M14, 2011s, S&W revolvers, Para Ords, macs, cheytac, M134, remington shotguns and rifles...etc

They are all great guns...

Not to be too picky but Para is Canadian company

Para-Ordnance Mfg. Inc

980 Tapscott Road

Toronto, ON

Canada, M1X 1C3

You can send them a letter asking them to move to the states.

For all of guys wanting to go back to the old 7.62 nato round for all infantry rifles here's some things to think about. One of the reasons most armed forces switched from 7.62 to 5.56 is because it is a lighter round. That means you can carry more 5.56 into battle than 7.62. A lot more. I don't if you guys have ever handled a loaded 20 round mag of 7.62 compared to a loaded 30 round mag of 5.56 it is much heavier, and bulkier. My friend compares them to old school metal lunch boxes construction workers used. They are just plain heavy, you could seriously kill someone just by hitting them in the head with a 20 round mag of 7.62. Plus it is a lot cheaper to manufacture 5.56 than 7.62. I am not a huge fan of 5.56 myself, but it does have some advantages over 7.62.

ok...here we go... 

Now...onto Vietnam...we lost because our Generals didn't know *fruitcage* about fighting a war...and when our troops were sent in with the M16 the Army...in all their godly wisdom...changed the type of powder that was used, not the powder the creator intended...which led to jamming of rifles 

The last...and most important reason we lost is that our troops where hiding behind trees and concrete walls...only to find that the AK-47 can easily shoot through trees and walls!...so while we are hiding the farmers with their $99 gun are shooting through the trees and hitting us with little or no effort...

I do agree that it was idiotic to change the original powder, which worked perfectly fine in the m16, to the crappier ball powder. They changed it all because it was cheaper and could buy more. This has all been fixed now with the appropriate cleaning manuals. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Also, I would like to point out that the majority of casualties in modern warfare are from bombs and artillery. Sure, maybe an American figured an AK round can go through a wall, then the Vietnamese learned the hard way that artillery shells, bombs, and napalm really, really, really hurt. Besides, if a round goes through an object, it is not always going to continue going in the same direction. There is a good chance the round will deviate from its original path. Also, I really doubt Americans would hide only behind trees and concrete walls not thick enough to provide protection from small arms fire. The problem with Vietnam was that the enemy was not always clearly defined. A platoon may pass by a South Vietnamese farm, only to discover that the farmers were really Viet Cong and get ambushed. The jungle made it perfect territory for guerilla type warfare.

Anyways, this isn't even on the topic. About the M8, I really don't think it matters how it looks. If it can shoot and kill reliably, I don't see why we should not replace the the m16/m4 with it. Besides, its based of a German design, it can't possibly be a horrible gun. :)

Ref one of todays posts. It may seem stupid to some but not necessarily to others, and courtesy costs nothing.

Nobody is forced to contribute to a bit of harmless discussion. If a person does not have a valid point of view or argument to put across in this topic (or any other for that matter) then there are plenty more topics and forums to choose from.

Steve.

I think we should adopt the XM8...the US has been using it for almost 50 years! give it a break!...besides...polymer guns do alot better in harsh conditions...keep some M16/M4s for spec ops groups and for homeland security...and with the rest...sell them to the British they NEED SOMTHING better than the L85A2...and we can give them a bulk discount for going into a war for no reason...besides we Americans need a good war once in awhile...

Archived