A challenge.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What boomboomairsoft posted a few posts up is exactly what I am talking about. On a side note, I am in love with DuraCoat and think it is the best paint product for guns ever. When I am done with my new project finished in DuraCoat I will post it up for you guys to check it out.

Hissing Sid, the reason you dont see many soldiers with painted guns or anything is that your standard infantryman is not allowed to paint there guns. Now, on the other hand, special forces groups like SEALs, Delta Force, Army SF etc. are usually the ones painting there weapons.

Here's a couple pics:

(all of these are from MilitaryPhotos.net)

Army SF in Philippines

sfp3.jpg

a_sfp46.jpg

a_sfp08.jpg

Army SF in Afghanistan

b_sfa08.jpg

c_sfa25.jpg

c_sfa03.jpg

c_sfa13.jpg

d_sfa05.jpg

SEALs in Afghanistan

(these two are bit to large to display)

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/alb...seal_afghan.jpg

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/alb...Command/aaa.jpg

Ive got some more, but I am sure that gets the point across... It's more the guys who have their own customized gear and setups that paint their weapons, rather then the guys who have standard issue stuff.

:D

Edited by banksster

In response to your questioning if I know many snipers. Yes I know a few, but I only know two military snipers and one of them is related to me. I am more interested in SWAT than in the military and I have done programs with the local PD and I am studying criminal justice, so I have had the oppurtunity to meet many of them.

A friend that is joining ATLAS is on either SWAT. or trains with swat I forget. he even has his 5-7 painted. garsh it has been so long since i talked to him I cant even remember if he still has it.

Milphotos had an upgrade recently, so most of it has gone now (which is a shame), but there used to be uber-threads about painted weapons.

I've seen a few pics of L85's spray painted (including a few dessie ones!), but they don't seem to be as style conscious as the Yanks. I recall one M16 (being used by SAS trainees apparently) that was half bodge tape, half sponge-painted with the least tactical green I've ever seen :P

A quick raid of the MoD website produced...

snipe_night.jpg

snipe_return.jpg

patrol_drills.jpg

ptarm03.jpg

Edited by doc_newstead

i very much doubt the SBS allow photos like that to be released of them (im sure i read it somewhere else on this forum today)

on topic - well the photos Doc posted only back up Sid's view, in that painted real steel guns that actually get used look like *beep*.

the 'fanciest' one is the armalite that dude is holding in the thrid pic - and that looks like somebody puked in his gun then lacquered over it.

edit - also, in that third pic it looks to me like the bloke giving the signal doesn't have a mag in his gun :blink:

Edited by screamin_weasel

Sid, I'd hardly call havoc's sprayjob on his M4 "arty farty"... he just basically put lines of OD straight over the gun! :)

the reason that rifles are often sprayed is because the black silhouette is a dead giveaway. When painting a camo scheme you have to think if the paint will have any use against a) your OWN camoflage and B) the local surroundings. Make the scheme too light or dark against your own uniform and vest and you'll have problems (thus if you're wearing a black tactical assault vest, it's pointless to spray your gun as you're already a moving target).

a simple OD sprayjob can help break up the pattern.

exp - that can be seen from the 1st and the 2nd pages.

I quite liked the matte finish - first picture Razer posted.

Most paint job pics have this killer reflection and it just makes me laugh. But that US sniper in Iraq had a good rough paint job going there. Really good sandy dirty texture.

If I had enough pocket money, that's what I'd do to a sniper rifle, say M700. or just paint a tubigrip and slip it on :D

exp - that can be seen from the 1st and the 2nd pages.

I quite liked the matte finish - first picture Razer posted.

Most paint job pics have this killer reflection and it just makes me laugh. But that US sniper in Iraq had a good rough paint job going there. Really good sandy dirty texture.

If I had enough pocket money, that's what I'd do to a sniper rifle, say M700. or just paint a tubigrip and slip it on :D

The sandy, non reflecting paintjob is achieved with krylon.

In that 3rd picture, the block with the m203, on the top of the heatshield is something that looks alot like the hensolt sight for the g36, or is just a llm or something?

Talking about the DPM ones Doc posted by the way.

Edited by Skarclaw