Where do you put your used mags?

selfexiled

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have a dump pouch but, TBH, if I'm changing a mag casually then I'll stick the used mag back in my vest, upside-down.

If I'm changing mags under fire I'll put in a hicap and stuff the empty in a pocket/down my shirt/on the floor temporarily.

By the time I need to change mags again the firefight will have ended, one way or another, and I can pick up and store my empty mag properly.

TBH, I just don't see the point in leaving empty pockets in a vest and filling up a dump-pouch with rattly mags.

For a while, I was running the HSGI Subload dump pouch. It is a very good setup for one who has lots and lots and lots of magazines. I could fit 12 to 14 magazines with magpuls into the damned thing! Naturally it weighs a bloody ton and pulls your trousers down.

That said, the build quality is impeccable, and it does it's function well. It's just it's a bit much for a subload dumper. There is infact a modular version that attaches to modular vests with PALS webbing. This might be more to someone's liking.

I currently run a Tactical Assault Gear Dump Pouch which is a great little piece of kit. Can't hold a huge number of magazines but it is a great balance between capacity and streamlining. Not bulky in the slightest and stays out of the way.

I'm also looking to do another dumper solution. Basically a HSGI Modular leg panel, with a Blackhawk Large Utility mounted to it. This would be for my MOUT loadout where I happen to run a CIRAS Releaseable vest which means access to belt mounted pouches is pretty damned difficult.

i am still using a dump pouch made out of a £2 drawstring bag... made belt loops out of the string loops and removed the string alltogether

looks cool with a lion on my leg. and i doubt anyone has a cheaper dump pouch than me

{edit} oh nevermind sledge, the picture has loaded properly now

I really can't reccomend Maxpedition and their gear enough. The RollyPolly is great because when it's not in use it can just fold away. And it can store a huge amount of things.

Yea they make really nice stuff. I almost cried when I ccouldn't get my maxpedition backpack <_<

:Dr_Evil:

I put them back in the ouch, which is fine. Unless of course you are literally being over run in which case i drop it by my feet or hold it ion my hand.

If your worrying about loading used mags then do what i do and put a small strip of tape over the feeding nozzle and rip it off when you load the mag

TBH, I just don't see the point in leaving empty pockets in a vest and filling up a dump-pouch with rattly mags.

The only reason is speed in reloading. with practice, one can get extremely fast in reloading and depositing the empty in a SMP.

There was a question that I didn't see answered in previous posts: are there modular dump pouches: yes, there are several. If ya like the stiff pouch style, Tactical Tailor makes a nice modular dump/demo pouch. There's also the previously mentioned Maxpedition Rolly Polly pouches. I run one of these (the Mega) on my Hellcat. I also still have a drop leg version, the SOE with side pistol pockets, which is probably the beefiest SMP ever made.

I suggest investing in Magpuls.

Instead of dropping magazines and possibly losing them, you just loop the magazine around of the your fingers and continue shooting. Then, when you have the time, put it in a pouch or whatever. Simple :D

As for me, I put em' in my pouches on my vest and thigh. I should get me one of those dump pouches or rolly pollies.

I usually toss mine into my cargo pouches on my BDU trousers, works fine, sure it might rattle a bit, but then again I'm not known for being stealthy or any of that nonsense, full frontal assault is the way to go

If I'm defending a bunker or something the floor becomes my dump pouch

I am one of the few people that uses TM standard mags and normally roll with about 16 of em. I have three dump pouches on my silly self. I am a lefty so switch everything mentally if you're a right handed. I have an upright blackhawk strike pouch on the right I use for immediate dumping and securing. I love the zipper on the top that allows me to quickly stash a mag in zip it shut. No way I am losing any mags out of that pouch. On the far right I have a maxpedition rolly polly I will move the spent mags into when action dies down. Always put your mags in this pouch sideways or you will lose mags when you lie down. I also an emergency eagle industries dump pouch on waist just in case both pouches get too full. I use this as a last resort because mags can fall out of it during play. I prefer to move mags from my rolly polly back into my vest right side up and in pouches that are hardest for me to reach into, but we can't always take the time needed to do this when you have friends are pinned down and you are trying to lay down serious fire so they can displace. I also have a small pouch I use as a dump pouch for pistol mags, it zips shut too. Pistol mags are way too expensive to lose.

Tried the dump pouch for a while and found them not to work well for me. Went back to replacing in mag pouches or cargo pockets in a rush.

For tactical reloads I usually have time to place them back in the mag pouches.

Of course in the real heat they get tossed.

I used a east german AK mag pouch for a dump pouch once or twice. got rid of it because i found that on my vest I could refit them just as fast . plus all my AEG mags have mag pulls. so i can do quick changes and still have some hanging on my fingers.

Archived