Find it! - New interactive map

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arnie? How long does it take you to get too the closest town/ skirmish?

Me:

Town: 1 hour and 20 mins (Ish)

Skirmish: 16 hours (To get to the only site that I know of that lets someone my age play..)

I meant in distance away from another airsofter. :)

I was just having a look at the AIRSOFT MAP and I noticed that BB-Toyz is missing.

I clicked on the ADD A LINK thing and I considered typing in the co-ordinates of BBT but, TBH, I didn't want to risk screwing it up.

Would I be right in thinking that all I need to do is type in the coordinates shown at the bottom of the pic to put a blob where the red box is on the map?

I wouldn't mind buggering about with my own pin but I didn't really want to muck about when submitting something on behalf of somebody else.

Thanks.

BBT.jpg

Yeah that's how you do it. Those coords relate to the centre of the map on the interface here.

http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=....x=292&down.y=3

Easy way to do it, is to go to multimap, and enter an address. Now find the location and click on the map to where you want to stick the pin.

http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=...3&multimap.y=84

Now click the URL under the map image (says "Web Address") and you'll get a version of the same map with a red circle on it where you clicked.

http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=53....le=10000&icon=x

Just copy the Lat/Logitude digits (again listed under the map) to submit the link here.

For the last map (above) they are listed as: "Lat: 53:15:25N (53.2569) Lon: 2:58:42W (-2.9782)"

You'd take the digits in the brackets to submit the link.

The digits with the colon and North/West logos are versions of the same coordinates except in minutes and seconds. The degrees system, which is purely numeric is easier to deal with, so that's why I use it.

Google haven't finished adding the map overlays for a lot of countries. The UK and USA are done, and the rest are in English as they have yet to be filled in. I'd guess that once the rest start filling in they'll be listed in heir native language too, like Japan.

Sadly HK and the EU still haven't been updated with street maps yet, although Google are apparently worrking on updating their systems.

I'm in the middle of bloody nowhere myself.

I don't drive yet, but I'm getting there... when driving, it takes me between 1 hour and 2 and a half hours to get to the nearest airsoft sites. There is none very local to me though.

There is however some really cool bits of land I can rent and turn into a skirmish site. I know a farmer who's farm is right on top of an old MoD bomb manufacturing plant and railway, and he always let me do springer wars there for free.

No doubt it'll be 100% impossible due to health and ###### safety bull though.

Heh, I can see a clear photographic image of where my girlfriend lives, but google are still to image map my town.. :(

Edited by TMC

Actually.. there is :) I finished writing the php export code for .ov2 files last night. I just need to tidy the code up a bit and create the POI icons for it all. Soon as I've done that and ported my cache code over I will be able to output the whole set in a POIEdit compatible format for you to import into your PDA.

If I ever have to work out the TomTom API and code little endian 4 byte gps coords into an output stream in PHP again I'll scream.

The POIS in OV2 format would be an amazingly handy utility for people attempting to plan a skirmish / pick up other members on the way. I can foresee it making AG06 next year (if it happens) a lot easier to plan for those of us driving. :)

Edit: I keep refreshing the map, but no indication of my flag as of yet. I've entered it in the correct format and refreshed etc to make sure I wasn't just looking at a cached version. Is there a period before it'll register the flag?

Edited by Marlowe

Eh? I thought I was supposed to enter them in brackets...I'll remove them anyway. :mellow:

Edit: By the way, does mean that we will see the Member's Map phased out eventually? This seems like a much more streamline approach - maybe it could even be used to automatically set the person's nationality! :)

Edited by Marlowe

Yeah the old member's map will go eventually as it's a bit clunky in comparison. ;)

Yeah setting people's matioality automatically or country of locale is easy to do with the GPS data. I'm not making too much work for myself with all of this though.

There ya go, you're listed up near Sheffield now :)

Right, if you've got TomTom or similar and use POIEdit, just stick this XML file in your autoupdate list:

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/links/map/airsoft_gps_poi.xml

That file contains links to the ov2 files that are automatically updated.

I've only scripted UK resources, but USA and World can also be output if there's a requirement.

Sadly HK and the EU still haven't been updated with street maps yet, although Google are apparently worrking on updating their systems.

I've managed to pin point my place in Hong Kong by guessing in a rather shotgun method. I just zoomed in with multimap as close as I can near my place. Got the coordinates and readjusted accordingly.

There's a road map webby thing for hong kong that I used for finding airsoft shops. It is interactive - not as smooth or immediate as google.

YP Map

It's very clumsy in comparison to google of course, but since google don't do a road map of hong kong. YP map is all you got. It's all very non-BS and simply drawn out. [in my opinion anyway]

And I can find my block of flats very easily with it. As well as pretty much all airsoft shops.

----------

edit: so to summarise.

I used multimap to find GPS coordinates

I only use YP map if I need to find precisely where - you can put a Hong Kong address in, and it'll return something like a 1:10,000 or 1:20,000 map - I don't think multimap can do that.

I also used google because I can better recognise the places I've been to if I look at a photograph. It's so much fun :)

Edited by billymak

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.