Taking the plunge, buying an Armalite

PariahWolf

Ok finally decided to take the plunge and buy an armalite.

I decided on the ICS m4 RIS with peq/AN

Just a few questions on if things fit together and a few other Q's

m4accesorys7pw.jpg

Sorry for wrong gun pic

Ok those are the first upgrades I am planning on getting...

Star crane stock.

ICS phantom flash hider.

King Arms G27 grip.

I do not see any problems with them fitting on it but I am completely new to armalites. Also what size battery fits into the Crane grip is it a small or large type battery does not matter but if they are small I need alot of new batterys.

Cheers,

Pariah

ps:also welcome any suggestions just not on front ends or metal bodies.

Not sure I'm totally clear, but...

If you put on the crane stock and don't rewire the harness to the rear of the gun...then you should be able to use whatever mini battery will fit in the compartment that you already have.

If you re-wire it...you will want the batteries like the ones in the link.

I'm not sure if they're available in 8.4v. I've seen mainly only 9.6v. That's what I have in mine. If you don't re-wire the gun...it won't matter because a crane battery won't fit into a normal battery compartment. At least not without some modifications! :P

Hannibal

Ok finally decided to take the plunge and buy an armalite.

I decided on the ICS m4 RIS with peq/AN

Welcome to the club. I've owned TM, CA, and ICS M16 variants. I have to say that I like the ICS the best. Granted I've toyed around with my TM and CA and was happy with them, but the features on the ICS and the ease of worrking on it are very cool.

Just a few questions on if things fit together and a few other Q's

m4accesorys7pw.jpg

Sorry for wrong gun pic

Ok those are the first upgrades I am planning on getting...

Star crane stock.

ICS phantom flash hider.

King Arms G27 grip.

Sorry to say that I can't help much with the Crane Stock, but if your AEG is coming with a PEQ, you could just keep the battery up there. What stock does your ICS have (retractible or full). If you've got the retractible stock, you are going to need to rewire your mechbox to the rear of the weapon, should you want to use a Crane battery stock. IMO, it might be easier to add a Crane stock to a Full stock ICS, but you'll need to buy more parts (ie. stock tube, spacer by the receiver, stock, and maybe others) and then you'll probably need to mod the buffer tube near the receiver (again ICS didn't copy the TM). So if you still want to add a Crane stock, but are fine with leaving the battery in the PEQ, you could just buy a Zenith Crane Stock. I'm not 100% sure, but this should be a drop in part, just remove the old stock and install the Zenith. The Zenith doesn't work with batteries. I've used one for 2 years now on my TM M4 RIS and really like. In closing, I will say that the Crane Stocks do a wonderful job at balancing out a M4.

Okay, with the flash hider should not be an issue provided you get the correct threading. Pretty sure the ICS has 14mm ccw threads (someone correct me if I'm wrong) like MOST other AEG's, so you're good to go with that one, especially if you get the ICS Phantom Flash Hider.

The KA G27 Grip is a different story. In short, your stuck with the ICS grip, until someone comes out with a replacement. For some reason, the ICS grip is at a slightly different angle than the grips on TM and TM clone M16's. I've read stories that some people have got the aftermarket grips to work, but it takes a lot of careful modifications to work. More often than not, people end up posting that they ruined the grip trying to get it to work. Like I said, you're stuck with the ICS grip.

I do not see any problems with them fitting on it but I am completely new to armalites.  Also what size battery fits into the Crane grip is it a small or large type battery does not matter but if they are small I need alot of new batterys. 

The other posters talked about the battery. On my SR-47 w/ Prime Crane stock, I'm running a 9.6 volt, 3300 mah battery. These batteries are very specific so make sure you get the correct battery for your stock.

ps:also welcome any suggestions just not on front ends or metal bodies.

IMO, the 2 lamest items on the ICS M16 variants is the Delta Ring Spring (collar that holds the handguards in place) and the hop up bucking. I've done 2 things to correct the Delta Ring spring issues (FYI, I've got a M16A3 and SR16 upper for my ICS).

The first method I tried was on the M16A3 upper. I took a kids 20" bicycle innertube and cut 1" rubber bands out of it. I then slide 3 of these rubber bands over the hand guards on my M16A3. To tell you the truth, this was easy to do and worked very well. Any wobble I had in my hand guards is now gone and the color of the innertube rubber bands is almost the same as my hand guards.

For my SR-16 upper, I wanted something a little more proffessional. I actually got a Delta Ring spring from a real steel AR-15. Obviously I replaced the ICS spring with this spring, but I did modify it a little bit. I remove 1 leaf from the real steel spring. Even now this spring is very very tight (almost too tight). The nice thing about this fix is that my RIS now has no wobble at all.

IN closing, just go out and get a new hop up bucking. I personally am using the Prometheus Purple (soft) bucking and have had no issues at all. Just be careful when removing the barrel clamp when you remove the barrel from the hop up assembly. The ICS barrel clamp has a tendency to break very easily for some reason. I've actucally replaced both of my ICS barrel clamps with TM and Systema ones that I had sitting around.

The battery thing, I do not want to use the PEQ becasue they are ugly and a bit gash to be honest. I think I will just use minis in the hand guard because I do not need a 9.6v battery I notice those batterys say they are for the CA crane stock? Links to other makes of crane stock?

Nextmayor: that Delta ring spring thing, will that be a problem with the full metal RIS system ?I am ordering a new hop bucking from AD and a new tappet plate as well. Zeroone say they mod it to fit Systema ones so I will get one of those.

Cheers,

Pariah

ps:any idea how much FPS will be gained by puting a tightened barrel in it.

As its an ICS then i recommend you get an Aftermarket Tappet Plate, the ICS one's are brittle.

I haven't had any issues with my ICS tappet plate. I think this is one of the parts that ICS improved pretty quickly, like the anti-reversal latch.

The battery thing,  I do not want to use the PEQ becasue they are ugly and a bit gash to be honest.

To each their own. ;) I personally like them, but I've either gotten a battery Crane Stock or full stock on my last 2 AEG's so I didn't have to use a PEQ. Like I said the Crane Stock or full stock do wonders to balance out an AEG.

I think I will just use minis in the hand guard because I do not need a 9.6v battery I notice those batterys say they are for the CA crane stock?  Links to other makes of crane stock?

To start with, I'm still not 100% following your question. You said that you'll use mini's in the hand guards, but then you're asking about the makes of Crane stocks. Is this the ICS you're looking at? Where will you be putting that battery?

ICS M4A1 R.I.S. Cabine

http://www.wgcshop.com/WGC_Shop/images/ics_aeg_m4ris_low.jpg

So to begin with, I'm really not sure if a mini will fit in the ICS RIS hand guards. Pretty sure the RIS on my ICS SR-16 upper is the same as on the ICS M4 RIS. I really don't see getting a battery in there, even a mini.

Additionally, if you don't want 9.6 volt that's cool, but you'll still probably want as much mah as possible. I used to have a P90 that used mini's (8.4 volt 600 mah) and it was a pain to have a battery go down in the middle of a fight.

In regard to to who makes Crane Stocks, here's a list.

G&P (battery), Zenith, APEX (battery), Prime (battery), and Star (battery). I couldn't find it in a quick search, but I thought Classic Army just came out with one too, but I might be wrong. I've got the Prime and have had no issues with it. Here's the battery I'm using.

10267.jpg

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10308.26

Nextmayor: that Delta ring spring thing, will that be a problem with the full metal RIS system ?

As I said, the RIS on my ICS SR-16 Upper is the same as on the ICS M4 RIS. Mine is full metal. You won't have any issues using a real steel delta ring with the ICS RIS, but if you really plan on putting mini's up there, getting into the RIS is very hard, due to the tension of the spring.

I am ordering a new hop bucking from AD and a new tappet plate as well.  Zeroone say they mod it to fit Systema ones so I will get one of those.

Sounds good. Just use the ICS tappet plate til it breaks though. Why fix it, if it's not broken.

ps:any idea how much FPS will be gained by puting a tightened barrel in it.

I'd guess around 5-10 FPS depending on what type of bb's you'll be using. Brand, weight, and diameter will all make a difference when it comes to bb's.

Ok I am going to go for the carbine simply because I do not want to have to buy different batterys for every gun I buy and it takes standard minis. I am going to but the systema replacement so I can change it as it breaks and do not have to wait for the replacement to arrive.

So is that a definate that the RIS will not take standard minis?

I really do not want the fuss of different batterys I will still get a crane stock but not put the batterys in it.

Cheers,

Pariah

ps: I really have no idea about how armalites are put together so sorry if I seem a bit stupid.

Ok I am going to go for the carbine simply because I do not want to have to buy different batterys for every gun I buy and it takes standard minis.

Now I get it. I really don't think the ICS M4 RIS is what you're looking for then. Batteries usually don't go inside the RIS, unless it's an after market RIS. Further more most after market RIS won't fit on the ICS (with out modification) due to the odd ICS Delta Ring. I know you don't like PEQ's but your mini battery would fit in the TM PAQ/4. Same basic idea as the PEQ/2 but the PAQ/4 is designed for mini's.

Here's a link to the TM PAQ/4

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=2250

I do think the standard M4A1 like this would allow you to use your mini batteries in the hand guards.

ICS-20(3).jpg

I know you'd loose the RIS, but what can you do?

I am going to but the systema replacement so I can change it as it breaks and do not have to wait for the replacement to arrive.

I would not recommend getting all Systema parts as replacements. Stick with the ICS tappet, ICS anti-reversal latch, and the ICS bearing spring guide w/ screw. Additionally the motor is a little weak, but seeing as how you're in the UK, it shouldn't have any issues pulling the spring you use over there. Other than that, most Systema parts should work fine.

I've got the following in mine

Systema Bore Up Cylinder Kit (nozzle, cyl. head, cyl, piston head)

Systema Red Piston

Custom Cut PDI Spring

ICS Bearing Spring Guide with Screw

ICS Anti Reversal

ICS Tappet

ICS Switch Plate

Systema Gears

ICS Bushings

TM EG1000 Motor

Systema Tight Bore Barrel

Prometheus Hop Up Bucking

So is that a definate that the RIS will not take standard minis?

Yes, that is correct.

I really do not want the fuss of different batterys I will still get a crane stock but not put the batterys in it.

Like I said, look at the Zenith. It's very solid and is not a battery stock. Should be a drop in part on the standard (non-RIS) ICS M4A1 too.

ps: I really have no idea about how armalites are put together so sorry if I seem a bit stupid.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. :P Seriously, we've all got to start somewhere.

Archived