Hunting

Butter18c

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snaring is inhumaine, and should only be done in desprate times! fishing is fun as it is not simpily a case of lifting it out the water the animal needs tiering out, this can take some time depending on the size and natuer of the fish.

as for hunting big game iv never had the chance but i would love to spend a whole day stalking a dear. iv done quite a bit of hunting with a .22, 12bore, bow and air guns and i realy love it. but i would love a chance to go for bigger pray, one that could do me damage if i miss...just to up the expoeriance!

A good trapper does not make it inhumane. They simply trap the animal - no suffering needed for most traps employed today. Then you club it around the head. Dies in an instant. Any way that is my opinion, you have yours, lets keep it that way and not argue. I think that big game hunting (Africa) killing Lions and things like that is inhumane because you aren't going to eat it it is a waste of resources, money and life IMHO.

Hardcore - i occasioanlly go 'fishing' (read- excuse to camp out and get caned with mates), and part of the hobby IS just the chase and the satisfaction of catching the fish.

its not so much with small fish, but when you catch a nice big carp or whatever, after waiting for a few hours, you feel chuffed as *fruitcage*/ then you put it back, it has babies, and then there are more pukka fish for you to catch. thats why they get put back (and also they are worth lots of cash).

i haven't been hunting, but would like to go. we did have to kill a couple of pidgeons at airsoft once though, as they were in the barn we were going to sleep in, and they wouldnt get out.

we treid scaring them, chasing them, and ushering them out, but they couldnt find the doors. they kept flying into the walls, and eventually they spazzed themselves out and couldnt move properly.

once this happened, we just walked up to it, put a blanket over it and picked it up. when we put it outside, it didnt move. we left it here for about 20 minutes, and it still hadn't really moved. the barn is in the middle of 4 farms, hence lots of foxes about. so we decided ratehr than letting it get eaten and torn up by foxes in the middle of the night, we would quickly club it with a massive MagLite, and eat it.

I guess the main reason people like it is because it's a way to challenge yourself, you can just keep trying to get bigger and rarer types of fish.

they get rarer everytime ;) , around here people seem to go for fishing in maintained ponds, which i really can't see the point of, especially when there are lakes and rivers full of fish a mile down the road

I hunt with a camera. I enjoy the stalk/hunt, and i enjoy it alot more knowing that i don't have to drag a 150pound carcass 5 miles :) .

round here we really don't need pest control of deer so i don't see the point in shooting them for the hell of it, fair enough if your going to eat it, but not just because you think it'll look cool on your wall.

Foxes are another matter however, and i will humanely (I hate hunting with hounds as much as most people) take care of any I come across,

I once accidentally shot a pidgeon with an L85 (on the range it flew between me and the target as i pulled the trigger), there wasn't alot of pidgeon left lol.

Cheers

Mig

Done a fair bit of hunting over the years, i find its always more satisfying if you eat what you have shot. This isn't always possible though, like the rat i shot out of my bedroom window.

Also, like fishing its all about the thrill of the chase. You may go a whole day before actually shooting something, its a challenge.

I once accidentally shot a pidgeon with an L85 (on the range it flew between me and the target as i pulled the trigger), there wasn't alot of pidgeon left lol.

Hmmm, it just happened to fly right into your line of fire, at exactly the time that you pulled the trigger? You didn't happen to aim off a little in order to hit it did you? :P

They always say at ranges, "if any live target comes onto the range, you must shout STOP and stop firing." What are the chances of that happening really? If a rabbit hopped onto a range I was on, I'd give it no more than a second before someone slotted it!

Graham

So jealous of you... All the hunting I've ever done is air rifle on Pigeons.. A lot of the farmers in the UK do hunt pigeons and other pests with shotguns which I will probably do sometime soon at a friends farm...But still the hunting that I wanted to do most is deer hunting.. maybe i should move to the US...

anyway, did you really ate a squirrel?... it sounds a bit frightening... and I am chinese...

Sure we could always use more hunters. :)

Yep, I killed it and firgured why let it go to waste and the pioneers that first settled in my state ate squirrel so I firgured it couldnt be that bad and it actually tasted pretty good.

PAGE 3 SNYPAH

Yeah, there're lots of hunting natinowide. It's properly set up and a generally well run system. You get taught loads of stuff before you are allowed to go out to hunt with rifle or whatever is legal.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

It's about pretty much every bit of wild life too.

I'd love to go deer hunting, rifle and bow and arrow. Would like to experience that at least a few times. And venison is supposed to yummy.

Anywho.

-----------------

Sledge: Sushi. :P

oh dear.

most of the regulars will know my views on this particular subject, but the question was "does anyone here hunt" NOT "do you consider the act of hunting to be something that is good/bad/indifferent"

for the sake of this staying open long enough for it not to turn into a "screw you hippy!" "murdering redneck!!" flamewar, lets try and keep this on topic, shall we?

thanks, I'd appreciate it.

Ah.

I can see my usual politely angled rhetoric isn't going to work here.

that wasn't a request, even if it sounded like one.

Keep it on topic or the thread gets locked. Turn this into a moral fist fight and I'll see the people responsible hang, ok?

that, also, was not a request.

oh teh noes!!!!!shiftcapsspanky has Harry lost his sense of humour?!!!

dunno, lets find out ;)

Hmm. Hunting? No?

Waiting in the hide for 10 hours without moving with my air rifle for those F**king jackjaws that've been stealing eggs from the local wild birds and harassing our chickens? Yes?

Getting stalking (Before some git goes and tries to poke fun at this, It's a term used for hunting deer, mkay?) lessons from my uncle? Yes.

actually, on a side note, here's something I've been wondering about.

ok, so there's lots of hunting camo out there, right? and hunters always get shown in the promo catalogues wearing it, looking extremely shrub-like, right?

but then they sort of ruin it all by wearing a great big glow in the dark orange wastcoat.

now, I understand why you'd wear camo to go hunting.

And I can also understand why you'd wear a great shiney glow in the dark orange wasitcoat to go hunting- nowt worse than coming under not-particularly-friendly fire while out with the guys for a spot of gentle blood-letting, now is there?

BUT. both together? could someone please explain to me, in a spirit of friendly information-sharing, WHY I keep seeing pictures like this in my outdoors catalogues? Is their a point? can deer not see bright shiney glow in the dark orange?

it just befuddles me, is all...

really?! then why isn't the hunting camo done in shades of bright shiney glow in the dark orange? ok hunters might look a bit vomit-inducing, but surely if your prey can't pick up the colour, its in everyones best interests (obviously not the deer, but who asked it?) to stand out as much as possible while remaining hidden?

just seems strange, is all.

maybe I should go into business...

Archived