Semi auto gas rifle

Hissing_Sid

This just kinda leapt into my head and it occured to me that I don't think I've ever seen one.

If I'm right then I might actually try to build one.

I figure it could be built out of the guts of a NBB pistol of some sort.

This would make for a quiet, gas efficient gun which would rarely, if ever, jam.

I realise that building it from an NBB pistol would mean that the trigger might be quite heavy, which is not good for a sniper rifle, but if the NBB could be cocked to fire from a single-action trigger it'd work

Unfortunately, that's where my knowledge comes to a skidding halt.

The only NBB I've played with is the Marui Mk23.

Are there any cheap NBBs which have double AND single action triggers?

To use the Mk23 as an example, I figure it'd be possible to build a "bolt handle" onto the side of the slide so that you could cock the gun first (if you wanted to) and then take accurate shots from a single-action trigger whereas, if you wanted to make snap-shots, you could shoot from the DA trigger instead.

Basically, at the moment, I'm just thinking that I can't believe there isn't a semi-auto gas sniper rifle available anywhere and I'd like to have a go at building one if I could.

My first thought, given that the Mk23 is the only NBB I am familiar with, would be to aquire an STTi Mk23 and use that as a base for the project. It is already a powerful gun so I wouldn't have to tune the mechanism and it'd work with the Marui Mk23 mags I already have.

Definately think that's the way forward unless anybody knows different.

Anybody got any suggestions or ideas?

Basically, at the moment, I'm just thinking that I can't believe there isn't a semi-auto gas sniper rifle available anywhere and I'd like to have a go at building one if I could.

G&P Dragunov. GBB, Semi auto and made from a real Chinese Dragunov.

Bit poo though.

well sid you might be on to something. if you build a springer g3a3 around a mk.23 by attaching the charging handle to the slide or you could get really fancy and build an electric gearbox that will cycle the slide after every shot. very do able. if i had the money i might try this. but I am so broke my MK.23 is going up for sale.

My sentiments exactly. A KJW Mk1 Carbine NBB is junk, overpowered and has absolutely no accuracy at all. I don´t know about Marushin/HFC Mauser Carbines, but I assume they´re not really anything jaw-dropping...

I´ve been slightly intrigued by MGC 10/22 or Calico carbines, but haven´t had enough interest to buy one, yet. Guns´n´Guys had a Calico listed few months ago in their gas rifle section, but now it´s gone. Then again, since these date back from classic airsoft era, I assume they had no hopup. They had internal gas tanks, though.

For a NBB "rifle", at the moment I would probably get a Maruzen Beretta M93R and try fitting a shoulder stock in it, plus a longer inner barrel and a silencer to cover it. Not really a "rifle", but I think it could be the easiest way to assemble a NBB "rifle" at the moment. Then again, what do I know?

EDIT: Couple of typos.

OK, I've done a bit of research and bodged around with a couple of things in photoshop and I've come to 2 possible scenarios.

Very, very basically:-

1) I build a PSG1 using NBB internals fitted inside a springer shell.

2) I build a unique compact carbine rifle, again based on a NBB mechanism.

Either way, the gun will have an intergral silencer, be semi-automatic and fire from a single or double action trigger.

Either way, the gun will NOT end up just looking like a Mk23 with a stock on the back and an extended barrel. It's gotta look like a rifle.

The gun WILL end up using standard GBB or NBB mags - another reason why I'm leaning toward using a Mk23, cos I already have 4 mags.

However, I don't know enough about the other Marui NBBs, for example.

If they have an internal gas reservoir AND can shoot from a single action trigger then it might be worth using one and then attempting to to make the gun work from standard Marui G3 mags, providing I can make it powerful enough.

Thoughts so far:-

Making it look like a PSG1 assures me of ending up with something that looks "hawt".

The G3 shell will give me something to work to.

Airsofters are a fickle bunch. I could build the best rifle in the world but if it looks like a paintball gun nobody's gonna appreciate it.

OTOH:

I already have the MSG90. Do I really need a PSG1 as well?

The PSG1 is bloody HUGE. If this was to be truly practical, maybe it'd be better off being as small as possible?

Fitting the NBB bits inside a G3 receiver is just gonna cause extra headaches that maybe I could do without.

Figuring out how to make the gun work with Mk23 mags when it looks like a PSG1 might not be too easy.

So, the options are as follows:-

1) PSG1 knock-off.

2) Something small and practical.

3) Other - if you know of any small, simple semi-auto rifles then let me know. Do NOT say WA2000. ;)

Vote now!

If you vote 3 then tell me what I should be looking at.

if you remember, i thought about doing something VERY similar, but with my Desert Eagle as the 'powerhouse'.

unfortunately money problems meant i couldnt look into it any further, but i had got as far as designing it, and i had a working idea, that i thought just needed to be made.

if you remember, i thought about doing something VERY similar, but with my Desert Eagle as the 'powerhouse'.

unfortunately money problems meant i couldnt look into it any further, but i had got as far as designing it, and i had a working idea, that i thought just needed to be made.

Hmm...

Thing is, A GBB is loud, has lots of bits that need space to work and if it mis-feeds you've gotta have access to the slide to clear it.

A NBB would make for a semi-auto rifle which is super-quiet, has no recoil and doesn't have many moving parts.

yeah, but i wanted some re-coil. my eagle has NEVER mis-fed or jammed, so i didn't see it as a problem, and i thought that bearing in mind it would be rifle length, finding room to fit a moving slide wouldnt be a problem. but it would be loud. very loud.

a NBB system would be far superior for power and quietness,and, like you say, ease of maintenance. i tried to design mine so that i could take the pistol out and still use it as a pistol, and that was where the problems arose.

Damn Sid, you stole my idea from the thread about new Maruzen guns (M11, MP7, UMP and MP5)!! :D

I've been also thinking about building an NBB long range weapon from a pistol. I think getting a working set of internals into a good looking gas rifle is more trouble than it's worth. That's why I wish some manufacturer would build a gun that readily matches what we're after.

My best attempt towards this kind of a weapon is a suppressed Digicon DE with a pistol scope. So far I got the can and gun, but no scope. I've built a hop up system and gotten pretty good range with it. I can hit A4 sized targets with my .357 revolver from 100 metres with open sights, so I think a scoped airsoft "sniper pistol" wouldn't be unrealistic at all. You just need a really good trigger pull (which the DE has but TM Mk23 unfortunately not). Otherwise the TM Mk23 is a better base, because it has a good adjustable hop up straight from the box.

-Sale

P.S. Being the annoying f*ck that I am, I need to nitpick a little. Technically if you base this kind of a gun on a revolver or NBB pistol and don't construct an automatic loading mechanism to cock and load the gun after each shot, it's not a semiautomatic.

-same

An hour twiddling about with photoshop produced the following pic.

The parts are all to scale. It makes use of a HK53 receiver, a Mk23 and an MSG90 stock and silenced barrel.

I'd probably fit a cut-down M16 mag to look like the PSG1 mags seeing as how it's just a dummy.

I know there's a long way to go but this is the sort of thing I'd be looking to build.

Ideally I'd set it up so that there was something of the slide left inside the receiver and the cocking lever could push on it to cock the gun to shoot a single-action shot.

Semirifle.jpg

I would just liek to mention:

1) The HFC Mauser has SA and DA (NBB).

2) The HFC Mauser does not need it's pistol grip to function(just the trigger,hammer assembly and magwell), so you could probably fit it in the G3 shell a bit easier.

3) The HFC Mauser's mags load in front of the trigger guard from the bottom, which could possibly mean you could bodge them into a G3 Springe mag and use that to (semi-realistically) reload.

4) The HFC Mauser is cheap. $650HKD from GnG cheap.

5) It's full metal, and as such may withstand the rigors of whatever you intend to do to it better.

I would think of putting the HFC mauser in the G3 Shell minus it's pistol grip and barrel, hiding the mags in the shells of the G3 mags and somehow bodging the cocking handle of the G3 to actuate the Mauser's hammer, for SA.

Thanks for the heads-up DarkLite! I just might get one to bunge into a Marushin XM177E2 modelgun shell. If it doesn't work... Well, I tried. :P

Another solution I've thought of is a KWC gas system with a solenoid valve with timer. The valve only needs to give a determined amount of air to the system and then shut. The mechanism takes care of the feeding cycle.

Of course this would be limited to internal green gas which sucks, or external air/CO2.

-Sale

Lol when I saw this thread, I was looking on ebay for cheap GBB's for this exact kind of project. I was thinking it should use co2. Anyone know of any cheap co2 pistols? Maybe between $40-80. The great thing is, since I will be putting a longer barrel on it, the fps dosnt need to be all that high, since the longer barrel will greatly increase my fps.

Did I miss something, or has noone mentioned the HFC Mauser carbine? (I'm assuming that you're ignoring the 8mm Marushin M1)

The pistol comes in at 1J with 134a (the Digicon Target is too hot). The extra barrel will make some difference, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.

If you don't like the looks, then "all" that's involved is covering the metal receiver with something: it's double-action, so you can safely cover the hammer (albeit with the usual impact on single-shot accuracy)

The one downside is that the mags are designed to be filled directly from a speedloader: looks pretty unlikely that you'd be able to keep charged mags filled with BBs :(

Did I miss something, or has noone mentioned the HFC Mauser carbine?

Also HFC C96 Masuer Carbine. Apparently V accurate and powerful.

I would just liek to mention:

1) The HFC Mauser has SA and DA (NBB).

2) The HFC Mauser does not need it's pistol grip to function(just the trigger,hammer assembly and magwell), so you could probably fit it in the G3 shell a bit easier.

3) The HFC Mauser's mags load in front of the trigger guard from the bottom, which could possibly mean you could bodge them into a G3 Springe mag and use that to (semi-realistically) reload.

4) The HFC Mauser is cheap. $650HKD from GnG cheap.

5) It's full metal, and as such may withstand the rigors of whatever you intend to do to it better.

I would think of putting the HFC mauser in the G3 Shell minus it's pistol grip and barrel, hiding the mags in the shells of the G3 mags and somehow bodging the cocking handle of the G3 to actuate the Mauser's hammer, for SA.

Reading.

It rocks.

I'm sorry that this doesnt help you in the slightest but last night i was again thinking (dangerous i know) about a GBB rifle. Some non moving barrel type of pistol bodged into a made receiver using a fair few SLR parts seemed good. Apart form the fact that GBBs dont like long barrels and custom building GBB mags would be hard even for a machinist.

M1 carbine? Ever thought of doing something to that to make it go semi sid?

Archived