the rep system is a joke

Anyway in response to Hardcore Mitsuko

I'm dating someone at Warwick University who is doing creative writing and English Lit i'm definitely used to this. So as i've already said to sledge I never took any offence from anyone's comments I have someone rather closer to my heart that already does it and is definitely a serial offender.

also discovered by using the spell check that i cannot spell definitely this is how i normally spell it "definetley"

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone doing the background check on a potential seller will also read why the guy got the rep points. Even if he asks stupid stuff or posts nonsense, that might not mean he's dishonest.

Besides if you want to sell something, it's not a really good idea being a total idiot around the forums.

-Sale

Personally I think the system works fine.

If you are going to judge someone by their rep points during a sale, surely you'd take the time to read through them and see how they gained their reps?

Unfortunately there are an increasing amount of people who can't write the english language correctly, which irritates the hell out of me. However I don't feel the need to either comment, or neg rep because of it. Maybe I should?

For those who can't spell, there's a spell checker built in to the system. All it takes is an extra few seconds and some consideration. However I have to admit that the spell checker is not the best in the world.

Until some kind soul develops a keyboard that produces an electric shock when someone is being a twat on a forum, the rep system is all we have. I find it very useful.

Unfortunately for Big Boy, not only did he shoot himself in the foot this evening, he decided to empty an entire mag into it. But hey, that's life. Sometimes you're the bird, sometimes you're the statue.

Regards,

Smoke.

Edited by Smoke
mods please close I feel that my opinion has been said along with others.

I don't see the need to close this just yet. There could still be others who want to throw in two cents here, but haven't gotten around to doing so because of time zone and work and stuff.

A thread is closed if a clear violation of forum rules occur, but this thread has so far pretty been on topic and the point raised is a good one.

Personally, I do agree the rep point is not utilized in the ideal way, it would be better if points are given more for informative posts, honest sales, and less for jokes and personal music taste (by the way, I think Depeche Mode is not bad. :P) and whatnot. The system, however, works fairly well as it is. There are some occasion "rep point wars" that needs clean up a bit, but most people do justify the points they gave out to provide constructive feedback. Further, there is nothing wrong with receiving multiple points for the same post as long as they are from different people. People will know a post is probably better if the poster receives 10 plus points for it than if the poster receives only 1 for it, and similarly for neg points.

Now, the system is not perfect, but nothing is. The question is really what can we do to make it better? I suggest everyone who wants to give out rep points think twice about the reason before doing so, and clearly state the reasons in the comment area, and never give retaliatory points.

...I got a negative rep point for calling "getting a car jacked" a "gay" event. Its just that in our "area" we use the word to describe something really bad or messed up, not exactly homosexual...

This is really reatarted.

In this case, the lesson you should've learned is to choose your words carefully on an international forum. People in other part of the globe might not appreciate some of the slangs you are used to. If I were you, I'd change the choice of the last word you wrote above too. ;)

he spelt something wrong too nananananah

but in all fairness I would have PM'ed you about that particular comment rather than neg repped you. If it turned out that it was just an attack on homosexuals then you would have got the point. I'm wondering is there a way to simply make a comment on someones reps rather than give a point because I think their should.

EDIT: and its retarded god even I can spell that LOL

Edited by WOLF_2549
(by the way, I think Depeche Mode is not bad. :P)

A-ha! Another one out of the closet! ;)

Honestly, a lot of people would agree with you, as they are one damn popular band. But do you also enjoy the music of Satyricon, Emperor and Immortal? How about psychedelic techno like Infected Mushroom, Hux Flux and Astral Projection? The Beatles?

That's why I think I'm weird when it comes to music.

-Sale

Edited by Sale
he spelt something wrong too nananananah

but in all fairness I would have PM'ed you about that particular comment rather than neg repped you. If it turned out that it was just an attack on homosexuals then you would have got the point i'm wondering is their a way to simply make a comment rather than give a point

EDIT: and its retarded god even I can spell that LOL

You know, Wolf_2549, the point about punctuations and grammar is not that they make the writing pretty or make the writer look cool; the point is that they make the reader more easily to understand what you want to say. Now, I have some trouble understanding what you were saying above.

A-ha! Another one out of the closet! ;)

Honestly, a lot of people would agree with you, as they are one damn popular band. But do you also enjoy the music of Satyricon, Emperor and Immortal? How about psychedelic techno like Infected Mushroom, Hux Flux and Astral Projection? The Beatles?

That's why I think I'm weird when it comes to music.

-Sale

Er.... Never heard of those others except the Beatles. :P

Just as a note to people who don't know the words "gay" and "retarded" are popular terms in teen American culture. They are not referring to homosexuals or disabled people but to something bad. Most people coming on the forums don't know this is not acceptable and get flamed for it. So when a new user uses "gay", maybe instead of flaming, someone could point out instead that it is inappropriate to use on an international website. This may make new users more friendly and ready to change. If the user persists then neg repping is in order, but try to understand that they don't know it is wrong. Just my $0.02

EDIT Thanks for picking that up WOLF

Edited by DrewLawson

don't worry Shao reading my post back I had trouble understanding it. Just needs some care and attention and a full stop here and there. I also meant it light heartedly not as an attack because face it I have no room to talk. It is true about the fact that the words get used for other meanings, but if a couple of neg reps sorts the persons mis-conceptions out means that they do their job.

After all I have started to use the edit button

and I'm honestly trying with the full stops and things but i do find it hard

And Drew the spell checker thinks NEG should be NAG evil sick thing that it is

which has now been corrected but i'll leave this in to show even the computer ain't perfect

Edited by WOLF_2549

There is no argument in this thread. The rep system, in my opinion, is an excellent system. Yes it may not be a perfect system where all the reps, being positive or negative are all justified, but let's just say there are more people that grant justified reps than people who don't.

Reputation is best used. The most important thing for sales, in my opinion, is getting to know what your buyer or seller's personally and character, and that's what reps have to offer. This is not to mention the addition of information with previous sales and and deals that he or she has done, sort of like a summary of research on the person. If you say that a person's personality isn't related to his or her responsibility and character when it comes to buying and selling, then you are sadly mistaken.

Edit. One too many "In My Opinion...."

Edited by systema

I will argue that point Americans definitely think just look at George Bush dyslexic and President of the United States

Just not always about what their doing at the time

But no as sledge says you should take into account local customs/language use if your going to talk to them.

theres a bank advert about this ain't there

The Rep system is fine. The people who use it however...

Like the fact that the majority of HaVoC's reps are because he had lots of rep points. WTF.

Anyone wants me to clean up HaVoC's rep points, please say "Aye". :lol: Just kidding.

However, his rep points clearly indicate to the newbies that he's one of the most popular members around, and not to be messed with so easily. ;)

Havoc is popular? With who? :huh:

:zorro:

*is wondering the same thing*

Having said that a few of my points are pointless (not sure how many without looking) but there you go, thats how it is. I usually look through rep points rather than just look at the number anyway :)

Must admit, I often find that the rep system is abused and yet I also feel like I'm wasting the Mod's time by contacting them to sort things out.

My main gripe is that when somebody acts like a knob, and I -ve rep them for it, a bunch of the persons mates will scuttle around and give +ve rep points to soothe the poor little soldiers nerves.

Nett result: Person does something disagreeable and their rep goes UP, not down.

Let's call a spade a spade though.

We're talking about Big Boy and the guy deserves everything he gets. He's like a bad smell or an annoying insect buzzing around the for-sale forums.

Check out his posts in there if you care to discuss it. The guy pesters people and causes confusion.

Look at his latest post. A guy offers about £300-worth of stuff in trade for a GBB or shotgun and Big Boy comes along and wants to trade ALL of it for a G23 worth about £60.

He has a telescopic sight which he posts to ask for help cos it doesn't fit his gun then, within an hour, he has seen a different one so he's got the one he's complaining about up for sale and lying about the description of it.

To add insult to injury, the scope sells for £39.99 NEW and he's got it up for sale for £40.

I have no doubt that when he grows up he will weasel his way into some job where his nasty, cheapskate attitude will bring him great success. He'll probably end up buying toilet rolls for factories or something and spend 4 hours on the phone in order to source them for 0.1p cheaper by shipping them from China.

While we're on the subject of whining, I'd like to have a whine about people who start threads to have a go at somebody or have a moan about something and then, when things don't go their way, they ask for the thread to be closed.

That's the internet equivalent of criticising somebody and then sticking your fingers in your ears so you don't have to hear the response.

To the Mod's I'd say this:-

Think twice about closing threads simply because the thread starter asks for it. After all, if points are raised that require answering then the only remaining option is to start a new thread to do so which is rather pointless and will make the forums messy very quickly.

For example, if this thread was closed, I'd have to start a new thread to post this response.

Check out his posts in there if you care to discuss it. The guy pesters people and causes confusion.

Look at his latest post. A guy offers about £300-worth of stuff in trade for a GBB or shotgun and Big Boy comes along and wants to trade ALL of it for a G23 worth about £60.

He has a telescopic sight which he posts to ask for help cos it doesn't fit his gun then, within an hour, he has seen a different one so he's got the one he's complaining about up for sale and lying about the description of it.

To add insult to injury, the scope sells for £39.99 NEW and he's got it up for sale for £40.

Erm sid, £50 with mounts, that thread is at least a few weeks old as well.

As i said in my last post, if you didn't check his rep points and just looked at the number you would probably trust him....

I usually don't get involved in any rep point stuff, mainly because i can't give them so it never bothers me that much, i just get them :)

Totally agree with everything Sid just said, and especially the stuff about closing threads on request.

That's the internet equivalent of criticising somebody and then sticking your fingers in your ears so you don't have to hear the response.

To the Mod's I'd say this:-

Think twice about closing threads simply because the thread starter asks for it. After all, if points are raised that require answering then the only remaining option is to start a new thread to do so which is rather pointless and will make the forums messy very quickly.

You can't walk into a pub, call someone a thieving ######, then expect to talk about what was on telly last night. I don't think anyone should request a thread be closed. If it needs to be closed, it's normally painfully obvious, and gets done by the next passing mod anyway.

:zorro: