2011 Picture Thread

What would you recommend to get the black TM controls to match an SD STI silver frame?

I've seen your old Executive which was hands down amazing. I believe it is the same gun that Vicious now has/had and is pictured above with a different SD grip. I liked the matte finish from the bead blasting but want something that will match the frame as I've stated.

Thanks 4boost. Yeah it's was the same gun that Vicious pictured....

If you want a finish that matches the color and finish of the SD slide and frame, you could get the controls bead blasted then re-finish them with Gun-Kote matte silver finish. I've personally never seen the actual color in person, but by the color of the sample on the website it looks like a close match.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...%20GUN%20FINISH

Just an idea...

EDIT: Someone help! new page and I don't have any pictures....

EDIT2: Whatever, here is a picture of a slide I recently installed for a friend of mine.

HPIM1617.jpg

Edited by junior
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4boost, I would think that if you glassbead the stock controls with enough pressure and small enough beads they will actually come much closer to matching the silver SD frame than what is shown on the STI Executive above. Tunerguy is the one who glassbeaded the controls on the Executive so Im not sure what specs he blasted them at.

EDIT: I didnt see Junior's post, that Brownell's Gun-Kote will probably work very well. I haven't used that particular product but I have used Brownell's Teflon/Moly oven cure gun finish and it was great.

Edited by ViciousV10s

I've actually tried a number of times to bead blast the stock TM controls, every time I get the same result. I've tried using higher pressure, lower pressure, I've even stripped the paint completely before I started blasting...

I'm using this blasting media: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6ZC13

I forgot how long it took to do this, but I started off just playing around.This is the best finish I could achieve and it was done by first stripping the paint with a dremel, then blasting at about 50 PSI. Very time consuming, and the finish didn't come out much better then the standard process...

HPIM0720.jpg

KSC metal comes out much better....

Edited by junior

"Trick of the camera" as some would say. It is a bit nicer then the bits on the executive but still not as nice as one would want or expect on such an expensive kit. If I kept the executive I was going to do like you did buy the dual tone 4.3 and steal the controls..

edit: The finer glass beads do improve the look though, It gives it a softer appearance.

Edited by junior

Yeah I should get my TM today from Den. I'll have a go at the controls this weekend. It'll give me a chance to break in my new glass beading cabinet. B) The Gun-Kote stuff seems interesting. Junior, I can't see the pics you posted at work since they block imagehosting sites. I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks for the tips guys. I might tap into some more of your knowledge when I start getting into my build.

I forgot how long it took to do this, but I started off just playing around.This is the best finish I could achieve and it was done by first stripping the paint with a dremel, then blasting at about 50 PSI. Very time consuming, and the finish didn't come out much better then the standard process...

HPIM0720.jpg

Dont use a Dremel to do that!!!

I did that once and i f***cked up my barrels ,

ask around if someone who collects knifes or something ,

polishing a barrel with the right tools , takes 5 minutes...

I have a machine here that can do that ,

and i polished receivers , barrels , anything thats not made out of plastic ,

for hole my team...

even an M14 EBR kit , thats now shiny instead of black...

I do thest things , and i ask 15€ (Euro's not dollars) for a barrel set ,

and for other things , 25€ /hour work...

Kind Regards,

Hans

Thanks Krame. I actually like the Guarder slide. Decent weight and a pretty good finish. Not as good as SD but good for people building on a budget.

The Racer: Dremel has a couple finishing abrasive buffs that work perfectly to remove the paint. They don't take away any material, but their perfect for removing the top layer of paint if used on a low enough speed. It even gets in all the tight spots and engravings.

I think only nEWBs mess up their guns with Dremels. Once you learn how to use a Dremel and their bits properly they are quite handy in speeding up the beginnings of a polishing job...I certainly wouldn't use one to FINISH a polishing job though.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the TM 4.3 dual stainless (with black controls)

TM4_3DS%20003.jpg

TM4_3DS%20004.jpg

TM4_3DS%20009.jpg

TM4_3DS%20010.jpg

A stock *gasp* 2011. Say it's not so. :o

Actually, TM Hi-Capa's shoot so nicely when they are stock that it is probably a good idea to leave alone for the moment. It looks nice as it is.

I'm curious though, how is the silver finish on the mag? Do you think that it will get torn up/wear off with use?

Edited by Romulus

Felix, the majority of the "race gun" 2011's in this thread are used for IPSC style competition target shooting. This ain't MiL-SiM, we keep or pistols in tip-top shape for optimal performance and reliability..and well, cus they look purty!

Personally, I've put roughly 500 rounds through my main HiCapa in the past 3 days. Practicing target shooting can be very addictive, especially since you don't need a group to skirmish with and can do it in the comfort of your own home.

Edited by ViciousV10s
does anybody shoot and actually use there guns or is everyone here collectors?? i have yet to see a weathered 2011

When It is warm out I regularly take my 2011's outside and skirmish with them. I built my guns to look nice but not so nice that if they get a bit scraped up they look bad.

Then, of course, there is killing targets.

Felix, the majority of the "race gun" 2011's in this thread are used for IPSC style competition target shooting. This ain't MiL-SiM, we keep or pistols in tip-top shape for optimal performance and reliability..and well, cus they look purty!

Personally, I've put roughly 500 rounds through my main HiCapa in the past 3 days. Practicing target shooting can be very addictive, especially since you don't need a group to skirmish with and can do it in the comfort of your own home.

Totally agree on that :P

Hey guys,

I'm a GBB noob, and I am purchasing an WA Infinity 5", is this considered a 2011 or 1911? I'm assuming 2011, but you know how some of this stuff goes.

2011. The distinguishing feature is the modular, 1-piece grip assembly.

Do you guys know where I can pick up a KM or CP customs (or any stainless steel) hammer strut for the TM 5.1? No one has them in stock.

Also what is the advantage (if at all) of having a recoil spring guide like the First/Laylax/Firefly guide with bearings?

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=12148

Do you guys know where I can pick up a KM or CP customs (or any stainless steel) hammer strut for the TM 5.1? No one has them in stock.

Also what is the advantage (if at all) of having a recoil spring guide like the First/Laylax/Firefly guide with bearings?

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=12148

I have a Firefly unit with bearings for the G17 which is the same thing in design and execution, just applied to a different model. First off it's a great quality item and far nicer than the stock one in terms of smooth fit with the slide and cosmetics. I don't know the purpose of the bearings myself but my guess it they help keep the base of the rod from unscrewing itself during cycling since friction between the threaded base and the spring caps is really cut down.