2011 Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey SmashJoehanson, great weapons you have there. Good luck with making your own logos if you decide to.

One question: Could you possibly get a closer [macro] shot of the slide engravings?

I'm currenty hand engraving a couple slides of mine, primarily because I fingdidn't think machine gravers (I'm assuming that's what was used considering it was only 15 quid) could cut so smoothly and sharply for such low cost. If yours look as good up close as they look at a distance, maybe I'll drop my tools and try harder to find a local engraving shop. My hands hurt..

I always wonder when I see those Chinese characters.

I once worked with a real prat and he had something Chinese tattooed on his calfs - I can't remember what he reckoned it said, but I always wonder if someone had tattooed "This man's a Twonk" (or something similar) on his legs - He'd never had known :)

Cheers

I always wonder when I see those Chinese characters.

I once worked with a real prat and he had something Chinese tattooed on his calfs - I can't remember what he reckoned it said, but I always wonder if someone had tattooed "This man's a Twonk" (or something similar) on his legs - He'd never had known :)

Cheers

You can only hope they do :P:D

Fixxxer.....I hate to say this, but I can tell you now; those engraved Chinese characters do not mean 'Serenity'..... :(

The first word means "word," and the second means "quiet." As far as I know, those two words do not mean Serenity when put together.

I'm 99.9% certain of that

:(

Kin

There are several version of Chinese, I'm not sure what these are in but I made sure that they do mean Serenity before i had them engraved, one of the ways is from the film Serenity which has the symbols in a they are the same as mine.

It doesn't really mean what you think it meant...it's kinda like those US basketball players with chinese characters as tatoos, it doesn't really mean anything if you asked a chinese person.

Well its what about 6 different translators gave me, as well as a friend of mine who is chinese. And again there are several forms of chinese, it may be an older style.

Edit: Ok just found out its in Mandarin

Edited by Fixxxer

Thank you n00b3r....

hardboiledcop, I don't think there is a specific word in Chinese that means 'serenitys (please correct me if I'm wrong, n00b3r).

Fixxxer, there are several different 'versions' of Chinese. The 'version' engraved on your gun is Cantonese Chinese, which is a very popular dialect of Chinese....and AFAIK, there aren't different versions of Cantonese.

If 'research' means you googled "serenity chinese," then I'll say one thing: the internet lies ;)

Ask any person who reads, writes, and speaks fluent Cantonese, and they will tell you that the characters do not make much sense

Very nice custom GBBs nonetheless :)

Kin

Edit: All this is getting confusing :wacko:. Stop it ^_^

Edited by kinau

Note to anyone thinking of using those online translators...don't trust them. I tried to translate an english sentence with the word "just" (i.e. I just finished dinner) into french, and I got back a word that means "just" ie I believe the punishment was just.

Also, remember, chinese words are suppose to look like what they mean, and take a look at the second character...does it look like it conveys the feeling of serenity?

Edited by n00b3r

Fixxxer, you say its mandarin?

....In Mandarin, they use an alphabet system, just like in English. Those Chinese characters are Cantonese. It could be that those Cantonese characters translated into mandarin would mean serenity? :unsure:

I'm not sure, I don't do Mandarin... :blink:

Kin

I'm getting a bit confused too,

Thanks for the rep n00b3r

Edit: Ah, I might have got a bit confused there as it said Mandarin and had the symbols and the words 'Ningjing' so it proberly referred to that then.

Edited by Fixxxer

Actually, we use the alphabets as pronunciation key, books, store signs, etc still use the chinese characters. It's just a matter of simplified or traditional characters.

Edit: By "we", I meant people that speak mandarin.

Edit2: Sorry for getting everything off topic, anyone wants to call a mod for clean-up?

Edit 3: To make sure people won't say I didn't contribute to the thread, here's my ex-WA SVI 3.9

DSC00084.jpg

Edited by n00b3r
Well Im having engraving done on my other one too. maybe you can help me not get it wrong :) , do you know what the symbols for 'Strife' is?

Let me check my chinese poetry dictionary :P

Edit:

Well, I found a militaristic poem, and would a word that roughtly translates into conflict be ok?

If so: 斗争

Gotta love that copy of MS Word: chinese edition...

Edited by n00b3r