Star M249 Para Examined...

STOCK Star 249 owners:

I've read all the horror stories in this thread about Star M249s breaking down but noticed most of them are upgraded. To those of you that have kept the gun stock, what do you think of it? How many rounds have you put through the gun, and what if any problems have you encountered?

Also, how did some of you get rails on the bottom & sides of the foregrip?

The gun was great stock, I had no problems with it. Then i put a PDI 150 in it, and it was fine for a long time, until the plastic gearbox shell broke. Thats at about 60,000 rounds or so..

I bought an RAS for a top/CA m249.. Hacked the STAR apart and modified it to fit.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I have missed this problem in the last 63 pages, but here is what I have going on. I have the Para model with about 10,000+ thru it with no real problems. I just decided to thro an M120 in it and started noticing that when I first start shooting that bb's are just falling out of the barrel or only going maybe 20ft. Then it seems to "warm up" and blast away out to pretty good distances until I let up and then shoot again a few minutes later. I am using a 9.6 2200 battery. Could the mag be feeding the bb's to fast into the barrel and the mechbox can't keep up? I was thinking the heavier spring may be slowing the rate of fire down? Anybody else have this problem?

My second M249, a para, arrived last week and has been doing the same thing since I started using it. About fifty rounds need to be fired before the gun will actually cycle and fire properly.

Ironic, as my MKII fired nearly 100,000 rounds before finally needing an overhaul.

Ok.. so yeah i was ######. I had to buy a new trigger switch. Cost me 42 dollars for a wire a connector and a switch. If i could only find the switch buy it's self and soder it on. OH WELL!!!! Thats 42 with shipping to the US.. cause i can't find it in the US.. oh and if u know where to find one in the US ... Don't tell me cause i will be ######. Any who... found some new stuff

PGC M249 Metal Gearbox v2

Yes thats version 2 of the gear box. It has a metal hop-up chamber..

But i think i screwed up.. i dont think it's for the star... but i would like a metal ho-up unit!

here's the link

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...p?idProduct=550

Is the PGC Gear box hop unit plastic?

Know if you go to there site, it says this "M249 GEAR BOX VERSION 3 for TOP and Classic Army (with additional brake)

STAR M249 GEAR BOX" So it's a little confusing to follow.

PGC website is http://www.pgc.com.hk/intro.html If you didn't know.

Now i was hoping that R and R would be making it.. but im still waiting to find out.

I love there new metal CNC machined airnozzle and the fact that making special parts for the star m249, is and i qoute... "A WONDERFUL THING" Thank you..

check that out here thats r and R

http://www.raybarrow.com/rr/index.html#

OH PS... the gun owns on the field when it's working.... I swear to u.. i feel like god cause no one wants to run into me.

Edited by cougarkiller
Ok.. so yeah i was ######. I had to buy a new trigger switch. Cost me 42 dollars for a wire a connector and a switch. If i could only find the switch buy it's self and soder it on. OH WELL!!!! Thats 42 with shipping to the US.. cause i can't find it in the US.. oh and if u know where to find one in the US ... Don't tell me cause i will be ######. Any who... found some new stuff

PGC M249 Metal Gearbox v2

Yes thats version 2 of the gear box. It has a metal hop-up chamber..

But i think i screwed up.. i dont think it's for the star... but i would like a metal ho-up unit!

here's the link

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...p?idProduct=550

Is the PGC Gear box hop unit plastic?

Know if you go to there site, it says this "M249 GEAR BOX VERSION 3 for TOP and Classic Army (with additional brake)

STAR M249 GEAR BOX" So it's a little confusing to follow.

PGC website is http://www.pgc.com.hk/intro.html  If you didn't know.

Now i was hoping that R and R would be making it.. but im still waiting to find out.

I love there new metal CNC machined airnozzle and the fact that making special parts for the star m249, is and i qoute... "A WONDERFUL THING" Thank you..

check that out here    thats r and R

http://www.raybarrow.com/rr/index.html#

OH PS... the gun owns on the field when it's working.... I swear to u.. i feel like god cause no one wants to run into me.

Hey!

I've been reading this thread for about 30 pages now, and I'm quite excited for the Star M249.

Now I got a chance to buy one, second hand style. There is a problem though, and as the discussions about price and stuff already began I don't have enough time to read all the pages that have been written after page 25.

I see that people are really discussing the hop-up and metal gearboxes. If there's anyone who could give anykind of a compilation or something similar what has come up since this topics page 25, regarding to the problems with Star M249.

The problem with the gun I'm thinking to buy is somewhat weird. For the reason I've told I don't know if this prob has already come up in this thread nor is there a solution for it.

Its with the box mag, the guy selling the gun told that when he got the gun, the mag didn't feed properly/at all. Then he said he showed the mag to a friend of his who probably knew something about the case, but returned it saying "A complete mystery". Now according to the seller the mag winds, but with disturbing "rattling" sounds. He hasn't tested if the mag feeds.

Seemingly the problem cannot be on the contacts, if the gun reacts to the "command" to feed. It must be the feeding mechanism?

I was hoping if this is a known problem for someone here who knows the solution for it. And also I saw at glance that peoples M249s are doing over 100K shots, is there any "type"-problems that have come up?

[Edit:] Of course I can always get a new box mag, but repairing the old one would definitely be somewhat 118$ cheaper.

Edited by Ghoosti

Yeah, hope it wouldn't be anything worse than a jammed BB, but I think that the problem lies somewhere else, though I can't really say as I haven't got the gun yet. As I told he had showed the mag to his friend and if I understood correctly the seller has opened the mag himself to check what is wrong, so I don't believe it could be just a jammed BB.

Any other ideas maybe?

Of course I have a friend of mine who is quite good understanding the mechanisms and he has a pretty good eye to locate probs, but if the feeding mechanisms gears are smashed etc. there's very little to do.

Just makes me a bit nervous, as I'm not quite buying the gun, but changing it to my beloved CA Armalite, which works perfectly. I'm not completely sure if I'm making the right decision here, as I do want a SAW, but giving up my first, fine rifle for it is something I'm not sure of. (My gun including some mags, battery and a red dot, the SAW I get in exchange includes the hard case, battery, M249 sling, some BBs and Prometheus M110-spring. The gun has already Prometheus M100 spring installed.)

Though considering the overall prices of both guns it seems like a good deal, although I may have to order a new mag for it.

Edited by Ghoosti

Okay, the things advancd further, and in a few days I should be a happy yet doubtful but still hopeful Mk.II-owner! Man, I'm gonna spray 'em all down.

The guy selling the gun tested the mag and told me that the box mag really does feed, but still makes those "rattling" noises. Once I get the gun I'll check into the mag and then I'm a bit wiser again.

Hope it only needs some silicone or grease. ;)

I'm definitely going to report back here as I get to touch the monster.

Okay, I'll make a new post now I actually got the gun.

Man that is a one big piece of monstrousity! I just love that huge.. support.. kickass..feeling of this gun. Althou it is plastic, the rearsights are unadjustable and the cocking handle don't move, it is fantastic. All TM guns are plastic, machinegunners don't aim and a moving cocking handle would be just a toy anyways.

I knew there was something weird with the box mag, but when test firing a few rounds I noticed the mag isn't the only nor the biggest problem. It fed the gun properly for what I saw.

The main problem is the output power of this weapon, with the shooting fps. I can't guess any kind of numbers how much power it gave the BB's coming out of the barrel, but I tested it with a cardboard box. The BB's didn't penetrate the box from a meter away.

It is definitely because of the spring, there is a Prometheus M100-spring installed, and we actually tested it with Prometheus M110-spring, adjusted to level 2 position, but no penetration of the cardboard.

So now my question is, what could be the main reason for the low power? I know it might some issues with pressure escaping, but as this is a veeeeeeeery long thread I'm not sure where to look the solution for this problem, so I thought if anyone could give any kind of guidelines to get the power back.

Another problem was with the gearbox, which was kinda difficult to get out, althou it is supposed to come out very easily. I don't know if I did something wrong. First I untightened the screws from the left side of the body, and then pushed the gearbox back, as instructed here. Sometimes it got stuck with the nozzle, in a way so the gearbox didn't move anymore than maybe a millimeter. After wobbling and wiggling with it a while we got it moving, but not enough that to front of the box could be lifted up, the tip of the nozzle didn't come out of the.. hole where it was in. Somehow my friend managed to get the box out, I just have no clue how.

I haven't tried it outside yet, it's snow and ice on the ground here, and it's friggin cold! And dark. So I'll have to leave that for tomorrow. I'm gonna test the range of the gun.

The guy who sold this to me said it fired fine with him, so I'm really confused how the power could drop during the mailing. And I did test the quick spring change before testing, but I really don't believe it could have broken anything.

So, any help would be really appreciated!

Okay, guess I'll have to dig it up from this thread........ :)

When we got the gearbox out, the nozzle looked like it had been suffering a bit, but not much. I'm not very familiar with gearboxes, so I'm not sure if the scars on the nozzle are something serious. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't exploded or anything like that, just didn't look like brand new either.

My friend also suggested it might be with the hopup, but I don't seem to have an allen key of the correct size. Does anyone remember what size key it requires?

The mag really does sound like there's a BB got lost bouncing in the feeding mechanism, but I'll have check that properly.

[Edit] Could the powerissue have something to do with my battery, in any case? (Which is 8,4v 1900mah)

[Edit2] Gundrosen: I found something regarding to the nozzle thingie. Did you mean the guide -Dan- wrote, about customizing an Aug nozzle to M249?

[Edit3] And one more question, how can I detect if the air escapes and furthermore, locate the escaping place?

Edited by Ghoosti

[Edit3] And one more question, how can I detect if the air escapes and furthermore, locate the escaping place?

Remove the spring, plug the nozzle with your thumb and manually compress the piston . If your piston head does not have a tight seal, you should be able to move the piston all the way forward.

I've changed the piston & head in mine with improved results.

One more thing - the hop-up is definitely loosing pressure. try replacing the rubber, as some owners have reported the original was so *suitcasey* it shredded to bits almost straight of the bat.

Ok so... i put in the new trigger switch the other day. Oh by the way it came broken of course... go figure. So then half way through the day i distroyed a spring. The spring caved in on it's self.. Which was pretty impressive... till the f#@! trigger broke!!!!! come on.... y can't they make these things out of metal!!!