Star M249 Para Examined...

thats the trigger switch inside the gearbox, they tend to fry once in a while too if you using a higher voltage, higher amp battery

damnit, i spent so much time and money turning my para into an SPW, and they go and release one ready-made. I WANT THAT NEW FEED MECHANISM!! curse you STAR cuurrseee yooouuuu

Edited by WarMonger
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo yo yo! I think my M249 is finally working, or at least it did the last to games. It was about the time for it to start working, althou I think it still could be better. But I'm not gonna take out the gearbox anymore unless I absolutely have to.

I have a quetion though, I only saw one post about cold weather mechbox breakage... Has anyone else blown the plastic box with the stock spring while playing in the cold?

Hey, nice to hear you got your para and are actually happy with it. ;)

What comes to playing in cold conditions, the last two games I mentioned above were both played in deep snow and the temperature was clearly below zero degrees. My M249 is running on basic plastic gearbox and Prometheus M110-spring and well, the gearbox didn't crack so I guess it handles cold just fine, so don't worry about it!

Yo yo yo! I think my M249 is finally working, or at least it did the last to games. It was about the time for it to start working, althou I think it still could be better. But I'm not gonna take out the gearbox anymore unless I absolutely have to.

Hey, nice to hear you got your para and are actually happy with it. ;)

What comes to playing in cold conditions, the last two games I mentioned above were both played in deep snow and the temperature was clearly below zero degrees. My M249 is running on basic plastic gearbox and Prometheus M110-spring and well, the gearbox didn't crack so I guess it handles cold just fine, so don't worry about it!

Looks like I've located a spare plastic mechbox, so if all goes well i'll be giving my STAR a thourough game day on saturday, with a high of -10 and a low of -14.

• 3 weeks later...

I carry the gun by the handle no problem. Alot of people put star down even when they have never actually had one of these guns in there hands. Even I thought the L85, was not gonna be that great. For the first time i held one of the weekend and i was shocked to see how solid and metal it was. I think the m249 was one of there first guns designed. So alot of people put our rumors and *beep*. Yes it's plastic but it's not a bad gun. So to tell.. in short lol. The carry handle works perfectly... at least for me.!!!

Oh man. My M249 made a really weird sound a few days ago. Can't really find any energy to explain properly what happened right now, all I know is that something went really wrong inside that gearbox.

So, before I go to sleep, has anyone found any aftermarket pistons that would fit properly to Star M249 gearbox? I've been told, and read here that only the original piston will fit, just wondered if someone has found something else that would fit.

Excuse me, I am tired as caged fruits and just want to go to sleep now. I'll write more and better later.

Hope to get one of these soon, this review has basically made my mind. A couple questions on this if you guys don't mind me asking. Doe's the box-mag rattle? Are the M249's designed to lay down 100+ rounds at one time(as opposed to a regular AEG) or do you have to do bursts, and does the MK2 have the same flash-hider as the para? Thanks everyone, EB.

Okay, now I have a bit more energy to write properly.

So, I was just testing my 9,6v 1700mAh battery on my M249 as I had just changed some connectors from Tamiya to Deans. Just wanted to see if that made any difference to performance. It really seemed to have gained quicker ROF, but I didn't manage to hear more than 5-6 shots when my gearbox started to make the same sound that chainsaw makes.

The spring is now compressed as much as it can be, and it won't move thou I press the spring release catch. It looks like the metal part of the piston has come off and jammed the whole thing. I'm gonna open the gearbox today and see if the whole thing blows my head off.

Well, probably there's nothing mysterious.

Doe's the box-mag rattle? Are the M249's designed to lay down 100+ rounds at one time(as opposed to a regular AEG) or do you have to do bursts, and does the MK2 have the same flash-hider as the para? Thanks everyone, EB.

I'm not sure if you want to know whether the BB's in the mag rattle or if the whole feeding mechanism rattles, I just know that the mag makes a lot of noise. :) When running ammo rattle inside and when firing, the feeding mechanism makes a big BRRZZRR-sound. It's not a big deal, the gun itself makes alot louder noise when shooting.

Well I haven't really counted my "bursts", but I'd say that you can shoot continuously as long as you can watch all those BB's going to waste. :)

Not sure about those flashhiders, I've got Mk2, and it has same looking flashhider as basic M4 has.

The Mk2 has a different flash hider than the Para

Mk2

Para

The boxmag itself does not rattle the slightest for me, but obviously the ammo inside moves plenty and can make a bit of noise when running or moving the weapon vigorously.

I have let of 100 round "bursts" with mine before on many occasions. The only damage my gun has sustained was a stripped piston, but I believe that may have been from running an M120 spring in the 2nd position with a 9.6v battery. Although the internal damage has been minimal I cannot say for certain STAR has build this gearbox specifically to be a support weapon

Edited by ECRRRainman
has any thought about adding a spacer or a stack of washers to the star spring guide to get the same effect as this??

yea it would work but like all aegs adding washers to the spring guide can result in the spring becoming coilbound.

its worth a note star are releasing a bearing spring guide for the M249 click HERE

[

I have let of 100 round "bursts" with mine before on many occasions.  The only damage my gun has sustained was a stripped piston, but I believe that may have been from running an M120 spring in the 2nd position with a 9.6v battery.  Although the internal damage has been minimal I cannot say for certain STAR has build this gearbox specifically to be a support weapon

ECRRRainman what do you mean by in the second position also with the stock mech box they dont recomend using a battery no bigger than an 8.4 because of the internals not being able to handle the power of a 9.6 battery.

Edited by scottnj7

The "second position" is when you push the stock spring guide into the mechbox past the original position, thus coiling the spring even more. I have noticed that the damage to my gearbox (chewed piston) was probably due to my high powered spring and running a 9.6v battery

Cold weather complaints: There have been a few. Played twice with mine where it jammed every five shots, and it hung up more than a few times. Took it home, let it warm up, worked like a charm. Can't even guess why.

A warning. The Star's PCG gearbox is made out of polycarbonate, suspected to be a material called Lexan. It's used in both bulletproof "glass" and also more commonly in the sign business to cover illuminated signs to discourage vandals. It's damn near unbreakable, in normal conditions. Any other polycarbonate comes with the same warning. Right on the label, as a matter of fact. It WILL break in cold weather, especially subzero temperatures. The stresses in your gearbox will cause it to eventually shatter over time due to the repeated beating it takes because the cold weakens it substantially. It may not do it right away, but eventually it will.

An example? Sign business. Hammer. Polycarbonate sign face. Lightly smack it with the hammer up here in Wisconsin where it's colder than a nun's crotch right now, and she cracks right in half. Bending or torquing it the wrong way will break it too. Had to replace more than enough sign faces in cold weather.

Another example? I'm a firefighter, and because sometimes doors have Lexan covers on them, you can't just get inside by bashing it with an axe, or twisting it off with a halligan tool. (Same thing tac teams use for one of their entry tools, btw.)

You can hit it all day long and it wont even make a dent in it in the summer.

Solution? Spray it with a CO2 fire extinguisher, which of course gets cold enough to freeze your skin almost instantly. Hit the spot you just sprayed and watch everyone run right in after that.

So, be careful playing "Arctic Warrior" with your airsoft guns. Pick the ones that use the metal gearboxes if you're playing in an area that has very cold (anything below 20F) temperatures. May not be worth it to skirmish with our SAW that particular day. It'll save you some money and the woe of looking for a new box in the end.