Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing that ###### me off is that the sight is not adjustable. but we cant have everything can we..

I have to admit... lack of adjustable sights on an airsoft SAW doesn't seem like a major handicap to me. Nine times out of ten you can hold the trigger and aim it like a garden hose.

another great one static. hmm i must now....should i get one or not. lets say this. i have no job. and the as long as it doesn't break the plastic body is fine. the charging handle doesn't function so who cares. ignoring all of these then would you say it was worth it. or should i double my money for a CA249 para

I imagine if you have no job, then it doesn't matter which one you get. It's hard to truly enjoy a SAW without a steady source of income paying for the thousands of BBs per game you want to shoot from it.

On another note, for realism the fact that the gun doesn't take a mag is really no big deal. The original Minimi model had that feature, but most of the current production guns, including the MK46, don't have the feature at all. IMHO, they should have just left the feature off of the Star altogether if it wasn't going to be functional.

All models of the minimi except the Mk46 and SPW have had and continue to have the ability to take STANAG magazines. It's baffling that Star didn't make this feature functional.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the reason CA made the gun take standard mags because they don't supply a box mag as standard.

Lets face it, if you've bought a 249, you're going to be using it with a box mag. Using a standard H16 STANAG just seems like a waste of potential.

I'm reserving judgement till these have seen more action, but I AM saving up for one of these. I've always believed that paying over the odds for a support weapon in airsoft was daft, and the STAR 249 allows me to have a support weapon in the armoury without breaking the bank.

I have to admit... lack of adjustable sights on an airsoft SAW doesn't seem like a major handicap to me. Nine times out of ten you can hold the trigger and aim it like a garden hose.

this is very true. but its those first few BBs out of the barrel are crucial. you want them to be on target, before the enemy realizes they're being shot at and take cover.

it would be nice to carry a spare magazine or two in case something happens with the box mag. it does take two AA batteries to run the winding mechanism.

i e-mailed star and asked if they had any plans to make a magazine that fits. we'll see what they say.

also if anyone knows where to get some dummy rounds please let me know.

Edited by WarMonger

Thanks for the review! Judging from the looks, it's a good buy for the money - especially for those who don't want to lug around a 20lbs SAW... Can we hear about field performance?

As a CA249 gunner, I always carry one M16 hicap - in case something malfunctions in the boxmag (never happened in 20.000+ rounds)...

Adjustable sights is a good thing even on a SAW. I use mine from the shoulder 90% of the time, and those first shots really count. A cheap red dot or low power ELCAN/ACOG scope can fix this problem on the STAR.

Edited by Trasher

Is this SAW worth it if your on a budget? is there any major issues with it so far? does it take mini size batteries, if it does why is there a space in the mag for large batteries? and finally, where did you get it?

Awesome gun BTW Ive been looking for an affordable Para. But it does mean I have to sell a couple of my AEGs.

Edited by Sarge133
Lets face it, if you've bought a 249, you're going to be using it with a box mag. Using a standard H16 STANAG just seems like a waste of potential.
Not necessarily. There are people that play more milsim ammo-restricted skirmishes where only standard mags are used for regular AEGs and 300rd M16 hi-caps for M249s for example. Plus what happens if the box mag jams or breaks down? Considering that has happened to me with TOP box mags long ago, it was nice to carry 1 or 2 M16 mags to load quickly into the gun and still be combat-effective instead of sitting in the staging area out of the action.

I suppose if the STAR box mag breaks down, you could melt down the STAR gun to make lots of little pellets to hurl at people. :P

All in good fun, no worries.

Take your point about the jamming issue (having had it happen to me when I decided to just take my m4 box into the field as it was too hot to be faffed with a vest), but the ammo limit thing?

"You can only take a hi-cap."

"Ok."

*Fill's hi-cap and decants 350 bb's into a boxmag*

You don't have to fill it all the way up.......:rolleyes:

Nice review man just a few q's

Do you HAVE to use the Box mag for ammo and for the battery?

Is there a reservoir in the gun you can just fill with BB's and is it like the other M249's where the battery can go in the foregrip?

Just wondering because I want to put the G&P 100 round mag on the hun

It looks great so far but the non working cocking handle and box mag (if the gun DOES require the box mag) is off putting.

hi,

i'm quite new on this forum so forgive me if i ask stupid questions...

First,wonderful review, :wide-eyed:

there is just one thing that i don't really understand,you're talking about tree gearbox, but when you buy the m249, do they give you the tree gearboxes??? :blink:

Or can you choose wich gearbox you want when you buy it??

Jimy

i don't really understand,you're talking about tree gearbox, but when you buy the m249, do they give you the tree gearboxes??? :blink:

Jimy

You'll be able to buy two other gear boxs for it, on their own, a low powered one for cqc, a higher powered one, and the standard gearbox which you get with it.

you just undo a few screws, unplug the old gearbox, take it out, plug the new one in, put it in, and put the screws back in.

well upon further investigation, i found some dummy rounds for anyone interested.

check this out

http://www.airsoftarms.com/viewproductdetail.php?ProdID=6857

Thanks for that, and thanks to the other who offered help. I'm considering a few options at this point. Antagon, I already have some real ammo. It's not linked though. ;)

you cant use the regular magazine, because the gun's power supply is from the "DRUM MAG".  The drum mag hosted the battery and the bbs

No STAR M249 drum mag = none working STAR M249.

As he says, even if a mag could be made to fit, there's no power. Something would need to be done. Either an alternate power source in the front or stock, or power in the mag somehow (that might be interesting).

Thanks for the review! Judging from the looks, it's a good buy for the money - especially for those who don't want to lug around a 20lbs SAW... Can we hear about field performance?

As a CA249 gunner, I always carry one M16 hicap - in case something malfunctions in the boxmag (never happened in 20.000+ rounds)...

Adjustable sights is a good thing even on a SAW. I use mine from the shoulder 90% of the time, and those first shots really count. A cheap red dot or low power ELCAN/ACOG scope can fix this problem on the STAR.

As I mentioned before, you'll get a field report just as soon as I field it. I have a game next weekend, so expect something after that. :)

I'm not tripping on the sight too much, since I plan on fitting a rail to the feed cover, and using a red dot as you say. I'll provide details when I do.

Is this SAW worth it if your on a budget?

That's up to you, really. If you really want a SAW, then perhaps it is. Depends on your budget.

is there any major issues with it so far?

Not so far, but I haven't fielded it yet.

does it take mini size batteries, if it does why is there a space in the mag for large batteries?

It can fit large size batteries up to 9.6v in the box mag. It's designed to run a 8.4v out of the box. You could put in a mini if you wanted to. Why is there space for a large battery? Because it takes large batteries, why else? :unsure:

and finally, where did you get it?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=1261

Nice review man just a few q's

Do you HAVE to use the Box mag for ammo and for the battery? 

Is there a reservoir in the gun you can just fill with BB's and is it like the other M249's where the battery can go in the foregrip?

Just wondering because I want to put the G&P 100 round mag on the hun

It looks great so far but the non working cocking handle and box mag (if the gun DOES require the box mag) is off putting.

The boxmag is off putting???? It's a major selling point! Perhaps another type of AEG would suit you better?

Okay well anyway this has been covered well enough already, so you get red. :P

You have to use the box mag for ammo. AR mags will NOT fit and there is no there way to supply ammo.

The para can take a battery in the box mag only. It's possible it could be rewired to take a battery in the handguard, but there would be little point. The MkII can take one either in the stock, or the box mag according to the manual. The stock can't fit a large type battery by the look of it, but I don't know for sure. I think it takes a pack made with 4/5 A cells.

hi,

i'm quite new on this forum so forgive me if i ask stupid questions...

First,wonderful review,  :wide-eyed:

there is just one thing that i don't really understand,you're talking about tHree gearboxES, but when you buy the m249, do they give you the tHree gearboxes??? :blink:

Jimy

As I explained in the first post, the gun comes with the clear gearbox. The others will be available, but are not yet released.

Stay tuned: Examination of the internals coming shortly!

hey, static, how thick are the gearbox walls?

I'm planning on doing a little mod (when I acquire a star 249 regular) that should make the charging handle functional - basically copying the CA gearbox right shell design with the spring and everything, and replacing the cover with a metal one G&P)

haha I guess I shouldve cleared it up a bit, imo the 200 round box mag is quite off putting, it doesnt seem to be in proportion to the para (which I plan to get) I would much prefer the 100 round fabric camo one because I think they look better

Edited by tangman