Star M249 Para Examined...

i,m going to put a panel in place of that hole one way or another. the gun is going to flex really easy while holding a foregrip i think. besides, we're going to need something to put the RAS attachment screws through.

you know those foregrips do look kinda silly with the bipod out, but it'll be inside the foregrip for the most part, then when i need it, i hit the button, and out springs the bipod. solves my bipod problems anyway, i still want to have a bipod, but folding bipods kinda get in my way. i can only recall one time i actually used the stock bipod in the process of shooting someone, i just move around too much.

it looks cool popping out, check out the video here.

http://www.grippod.com/

I was going to get a plastic welder, but i'm not spending 130 bucks on one. besides, i cant figure out what kind of filler rods to use. star says the gun is made from nylon farbic, yes farbic, whatever the hell that is. they dont make filler rods for it though. I'm going to use some industrial plastic adhesive called E-6000, hardcore stuff.

i ordered it after the holiday, so i think they are just slow. maybe just for me, you'll find out. 110 is a little high, but you'll pay around 100 for one at a domestic retailer, if any of them had it in stock.

i'm not a big fan of the woodland camo ammo pouch either, i'd prefer black, or OD green or something.

G&P make Grippods now:

http://www.gunsnguys.com/ishop/Contents/Sh...asp?ProdID=3490

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is speculation as I do not have my M249... YET <_< (Insert sinister laugh here)

The G&P M249 RAS Kit for the TOP M249 seems like the easiest option. Just find some long screws to drill into the STAR M249 hand guard plastic or clean through to the opposite side of the hand guard/RAS and bolting it in place.

gp156_copy1.jpg

m249d.jpg

After my last project gun, an all metal G3-SBS, I am all about working smart, not hard. :D

The G&P M249 RAS Kit for the TOP M249 seems like the easiest option. Just find some long screws to drill into the STAR M249 hand guard plastic or clean through to the opposite side of the hand guard/RAS and bolting it in place.

Alas, no. After the required material is removed there is only empty space to screw through, and that doesn't work so good.

Take a look at the graphics I posted earlier to see what I mean. Big hunk 'o plastic goes bye-bye thanks to Mr. Dremel, big rectangular hole remains.

Material will either need to be put back or an alternate solution will be needed. I believe it is possible though. The tricky part is making it structurally sound.

Edited by staticzero

Maybe this is a dumb question, but looking at your graphic, zero, why aren't you cutting horizontally thru the downward protruding tab and not vertically thru the floor of the body to remove the material. Are you creating a hole you don't need to, or is there no other way to cut off that piece?

Just got my "grip-pod" this morning. I must say this thing is built solid, and the bipod snaps out with some serious force, very cool.

So G+P are making one now too? thats funny, the owner of grip-pod systems is gonna love it. check out this post i found from him at UKASC

I am the owner of Grippod Systems LLC, in the USA. The grippods being discussed on this website as being made by Proud Tactical are a violation of our patents and trademarks. The Proud Tactical Grip-pod is a clone of our model GPS-02.

It amazes us at Grippod Systems that someone would blatently rip off our design in this manner. We have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of hard work, only to now become aware of a knock-off being made and sold from Hong Kong.

You can see our "Original" designs here: www.grippod.com

Although we are, at the present time taking the necessary legal steps to cease infringment, and sale of this clone..We would ask those who believe in honest business practices to take note and not support intellectual property theft and distribution.

JG

"years of hard work", and "hundreds of thousands of dollars". yeah right, it's a cool idea, but its not rocket science. It doesnt take hundreds of thousands of dollars to develope a few molded peices of plastic. In my opinion, the guy was asking for this, charging 125$ for the thing! who the hell is going to pay 125$ when they can buy a proud tactical version for 55$? maybe what proud tactical and G+P are doing is wrong. But I dont think this guy really knows what honest buisness practice is either.

OK im done ranting, anyway The RAS should be here early next week. I'm tempted to start butchering my gun now.

"years of hard work", and "hundreds of thousands of dollars". yeah right, it's a cool idea, but its not rocket science. It doesnt take hundreds of thousands of dollars to develope a few molded peices of plastic.

You'd be surprised.

The RAS should be here early next week. I'm tempted to start butchering my gun now.

I heard back from airsofttroops this morning, it was $110 as you said. It should be here early next week too, I hope. I'm looking forward to it. However tempted as I may be to dig in, I'm leaving my gun alone until I know exactly what I have to work with.

night raven-nothing falls off, it doesnt creak or wobble at all, its actually a very solid feeling gun(for a plastic gun). its just when you dissassemble it, the reciever alone feels rather felxible.

I work at a shop where we build lamborghini replica's. And we sell them as kits aswell. We manufacture all the fiberglass parts ourselves, all our molds were made from scratch. Our Diablo kit cost my boss maybe 100,000 to develope. And that consists of eighty some parts. So i can say with some certainty this guy is exaggerating the time and money it took to come up with this thing. Still, it doesnt give anyone else the right to steal it. But i bought a copy anyway, cause i'm a cheapskate :D

Yeh, i think your right, it's a good idea to wait and see the RAS kit in front of me before i start chopping the gun up. what do you think about my heatshield idea? you have any other ideas?

Edited by WarMonger

Damn. I really want one of these.

My 18th is coming up, so I'm tempted to ask for a CA249, but I think this may be more reasonable.

The lack of M16 mag accepting ability (yep, dodgey English) put me off a little, but how likely am I to go through 2500 rounds?

Is it cheeky to ask for one for my 18th?

ColDaz,

My CA249 weighs in around 18 lbs fully loaded (boxmag, belt, large battery), make sure you wanna lug this beast around all day... :)

If you do your part as a SAW gunner, you can go through high number of rounds pretty quickly. I fire about 3000-5000 rounds/game (short, controlled bursts), others fire 5-10 times more.

Weight isn't really an issue as I'm in good shape and can always attach a sling.

I only carry 340 for my main anyway. I rarely get through that. 2500 will seem like loads.

I guess it might go down quick with support fire though...

I'll have to think about it.

EDIT: Actually, has anyone seen any spare box mags for a STAR M249 anywhere?

I've looked on Zero One and others.

Maybe they are not out yet?

Edited by ColDaz
Any info on the ETA of the STAR 1500rd mag? It would be easier to mod that for the CA249 than making my own from a real soft 100-round mag.

No idea.

I'm hoping other colors will be available though. I don't really want woodland cammo.

Hmm. Is there an echo in here? :P

I must say the idea of a soft mag is growing on me. I wasn't too interested in one originally.

Anyway like most airsoft companies Star isn't too great at keeping us updated. Things just seem to show up when they do.

Edited by staticzero
I must say the idea of a soft mag is growing on me. I wasn't too interested in one originally.

After 45-50k rounds, I dare to say, most of us don't need 2400 round motor driven hicaps. Size does matter. The 100-round pouch is much more compact in size... Crawling in the snow today was PITA with the boxmag. 1000-1500 rounds of "continous" firepower is more than enough for most situations, even for us, SAW gunners.

After 45-50k rounds, I dare to say, most of us don't need 2400 round motor driven hicaps. Size does matter. The 100-round pouch is much more compact in size... Crawling in the snow today was PITA with the boxmag. 1000-1500 rounds of "continous" firepower is more than enough for most situations, even for us, SAW gunners.

Yeah I must say when I've used my Para so far I actually had to try to use all 2500 rounds in an hour and half mission. On a couple of occasions I didn't. I think it might be nice to have the smaller mag and it will look good on my Para especially with the RAS installed. Hopefully it's easy to reload though. It looks like the battery for it is made with A cells so 2500mAh is possible - should be able to get off around 2.5 mags worth of BBs with that. And hopefully it can fit one more cell than they advertise in case I want to run 9.6v (though with less ammo to go around I might be better off with a lower ROF I suppose).

I think I'd prefer black cloth, though OD or coyote would be OK I guess. It looks like it would be easy to make one so it's not a total loss if they only make WC.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this because, to be honest I can't be bothered to trawl through the entire thread to see if this has been said before. 

WGC have the metal gearbox for the M249 in stock.

Yes, we know. It came up a few pages back and everone went 'meh'.

Staticzero:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=43597

I am still waiting for you to read.

I read it already. Frankly I'm uninterested in yet another armalite line. If I replace my M15 it'll probably be with a G&P or I'll just build my own. I'll be keeping my eye on it though. It might be interesting to review one.

Edited by staticzero
I know what you mean about the colours of the mags.

I intend to paint the green one black myself.

Yes. some aerosol carpet dye will do the trick excellent. M249 SPW with black 100rnd mag mmmm, i cant wait much longer. damnit where is my RAS!! Hurry up star, release that mag already. Its been on the coming soon list long before those G36's and L85's.

That 200 rnd box is just too bulky for my style, i've already broken it clean off the gun twice.

question, has anyone seen an 8.4v 7 cell battery like the one in Star's picture? I've looked everywhere and i've only seen 9.6V with 8 cells.