Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all,

i want to put a systema silent piston head set into my m249,

just woundering if any one knows what version the star gearbox uses befor i order one. is it a version 2 or version 3?

also does any one know the lenght of the inner barrel on the m249 mk2? i want to put a tight bore in to close up groupings. also are star barrels the same design as TM barrels? can you just swap it with a tightbore with no modifications?

hope some one can help

cheers

Dan

I've been following this topic for some time now. Great information. I just wanted to make sure and air a bit of concern I have about this gun. My hope is that someone contemplating on getting this gun might reconsider. Read through the topic carefully. These problems we're having seem to be wide spread, common, and difficult to fix. The mood I get from the discussion on this forum and many others is that even though the gun is breaking after a game or two people are still in love with it. I've never made it through a full day with the M249 and each time it's a different problem to fix. Yet, I still see people giving it a 9 or 10 rating.

There are more dependable guns out there. If you want high capacity then there are options for upgrading most AEG's that have better accuracy (i.e. high cap's, box mags, or drums). This gun won't give you the accuracy, range, or close grouping needed without considerable modification (which increases the risk of further breakdown).

Yes, I am generalizing. There's no need to nit-pick through all my points.

The simple fact is that I've shot through most my guns for months and years without a single problem.

I for one don't recommend buying this gun at all. It's a novelty item that won't last. High price, poor performance, and totally un-reliable.

I'll also use this opportunity to provide my email address for anyone considering this gun, feel free to contact me.

pisceyed@hotmail.com

Edited by mercairsoft

I must have missed something.

I have been following this thread from the start, and I have not got the feeling at all that this gun is a disaster in the making. Yes, some have reported some problems, but I don't see a lot of reports of this gun breaking down every couple of games. I have not run up and down hills with mine skirmishing, but I have put about 10,000 rounds through mine, ..... without a problem one.

We seem to always hear from those who have had some sort of problem. How about we hear from those who have had no problems at all. How many of you out there have this gun and have had no problems?

I'll be first, 10,000 rounds fired and gun functions flawlessly.

:D

Would also help to know what kind of battery and internal modifications you've done so far. I've been following this thread from the beginning and still on the fence about getting a SAW (of any brand).

I have googled and can't find any other forum/website that details the problems or modifications to the Star that this forum has. They all just state how affordable it is or it's too light or too plasticky.

No modifications. These problems wouldn't be due to modifications anyways. I've had some of the same problems that other people on the forum have had and then some.

I put 6000 rounds through mine by game 3 (would've kept going if the gun held up). We need long term skirmish reports. I just don't see this gun holding up over the long term compared to others. But by all means, if someone has had 0 problems even with heavy, long term use, I'd be curious to hear.

Well I took my para out for the longest game its played yet...

Cold weather (luckily not wet) and 25 hours of play. I got through loads and loads of bbs. Probably 10,000 in this single game.

In the last minutes of the game the box mag stopped feeding.

I had a quick look and found that the wiring in the box mag had come unsoldered.

Taking it home I had a proper look.

What had happened was something had got inside the mag amongst the bbs and caused the mechanism to jam. This had in turn caused the motor to start to overheat. The wiring gave up first.

I took the mag apart, cleaned it out, resoldered the wiring and its working again fine.

Having also worked on a Hero Arms C-Mag I can honestly say that the Star M249 box mag is considerably simpler and better made. I recon by the mere fact that the motor turns the bb lift directly rather than winding a spring to do this will make it a LOT more reliable than the Hero Arms mag. It certainly should be pretty much proof from normal jams...

Just be careful not to let anything "extra" get in the mag with the bbs.

Oh the Hero Arms mag is partially glued together... the Star one is very sensibly screwed together... its just a lot, lot better made and actually quite easy to work on.

(BTW there is a clutch in the mechanism... so winding without firing will not damage the mag)

A hint... when you get the mechanism out of the mag... to seperate the two halves in order to clean it you'll have to also desolder the connections on the motor. Beware that there are two springs inside the mechanism so take care when opening it. Mine pinged around the room when I opened it, but I managed to work out where they went easily enough when reassembling.

Total rounds through mine... probably 20,000+ rounds... just 2 problems... The above one and the box mag switch problem which happened on the first trip out and was easily fixed by seperating the contacts and has not re-occurred.

(BTW I have several AEGs and have only ever had two that have never exhibited any problems at all... TM MP5K and TM Glock 18c. Compared with the catastrophic failures and unreliablilities in some of my other guns (includes other TM guns) the Star M249 actually comes out really rather well, especially considering it has the extra complexity of a box mag)

Edited by Yith

I did'nt really want to post this ,as ill proberly jinx myself and it will blow up next weekend.

Apart from the small contact switch for the boxmag, that was broke on delivery and replaced by ZERO1 straight away. Get ready.................

ive done approximatly 50,000 rounds through the beast so far .

So , on that note i'd say ITS FOOKIN AWESOME

i really want one of these now, reading all the stuff that has been said im kind of put off, i dont mind the external parts not being metal, but do you reccomend this gun to a person on a budget?

If you're really on a budget you should seriously look at another gun than a SAW. Personally I barely shoot 4000 BBs in a season with my M4. Once I get my hand on this I have a feeling this number will be greatly increased.

right, don't forget that being a SAW gunner is inherently not for those on a tight budget as the role demands using large amounts of bb's. you may save some cash by getting a $500 SAW but you're going to spending a lot on buying bb's to put that baby to good use.

Edited by rasheem
im not on a really tight budget,i can afford the rifle and the ammo, just is it worth it?

Well I love mine!

The general impression I get from other owners I know who have them is that they love theirs too.

I know just one guy who's been plagued with problems...

Only you can really decide.

Quick question: Would there be any problems in using a 10.8 volt battery in this gun in stock configuration? Also, would downgrading the spring to a stock TM spring rate produce any worthwhile/noticeable ROF gain?

hi, this gun has a very high rate of fire with a high mah 8.4 battery. i think if you start using a 10.8 volt battery while its in stock form you are going to start going through a lot of pistons.

also the stock spring in the star is more powerfull than a stock TM spring, the star uses high tourge gears and motor so i dont think you will notice any ROF increase by changing to a TM spring.

i know a few guys that use 9.6 volt batteries in there stock m249's and they really do pump out the rounds,. but i still think this is pushing it on a stock spring.

SORRY JUST A QUICK BUMP ABOUT THE CYLINDER HEAD TYPE THIS GUN USES. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF ITS A VERSION 2 OR VERSION 3, OR TOTALY DIFFERENT FROM BOTH

CHEERS

Edited by -Dan-
Since we're experiencing trouble in paradise:

Stock bevel gear, stock spur gear and Systema pinion gear #1 in mine gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago.  In the course of examining the spur gear and bevel gear I learned they were turning off axis, or wobbling, if you will.

I subsequently replaced the gears and the mechbox (to the Wild Monkey box) and lost bevel gear #2 as well as pinion gear #2 following a brief test session.

I was on the ragged edge with an 11.1v LiPo battery and a Systema High Speed motor (wonder why it broke ), so I dialed back the power and speed to a 9.6v NiMh battery and the stock motor. Damn, it sounded terrifying with a LiPo battery in it...and will again, eventually.

Hopefully it will survive its torture test at Ord this weekend. I'll revisit the LiPo battery at some point in the near future - I think I had seated the motor incorrectly and it MAY HAVE BEEN a user problem, not a speed problem. I thought back to my last reshim of the box and couldn't remember adjusting the motor height other than a perfunctory 'hmm, that looks about right' and bolting it back together and not adjusting it properly after replacing pinion head #1 with pinion head #2.

With the rate of fire produced by a LiPo pack, I should have known better than to assume that the motor was ok. Serves me right.

On another note, I've determined that my outer barrel is mounted crookedly. As a result, the 'top' of the hop up is canted very slightly toward 11 o'clock, resulting in bbs that float left. Not major, just annoying.

i hate to say it but i told you so ;)

well, i am having issues aswell.

my cylinder head broke the nozzle off. the brass tube pulled right out of the plastic. so i replaced with a classic army cylinder set and systema version 2 tappet plate. now the pisotns is getting pushed up towards the mechbox of of it track on the left side of the mechbox. i dont understand whats going wrong. since there is no after market cylinder head, i had to use a ca cylinder set cuz thats all i had. i am very sad. plus the saw tappet plate is very wide at the nozzle end along with the saw cylinder head.

jason