Star M249 Para Examined...

Doc, i've had mine for a month or so now and gamed with it a few times. It's not let me down once. (Touch wood)

From what i can gather unless your unlucky you only get problems if you start messing with it. Leave it standard and they are fine.

Better than paying over 700quid for a TOP or CA one still.

Pugh.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc, i've had mine for a month or so now and gamed with it a few times. It's not let me down once. (Touch wood)

From what i can gather unless your unlucky you only get problems if you start messing with it. Leave it standard and they are fine.

Better than paying over 700quid for a TOP or CA one still.

Pugh.

Reliability isn't a prob (Hell, it's not like I use these things), but it seems that the plastic fantastic finish, married with things like a fixed rear sight (doh) and a false cocking handle means I won't be selling my M15 to get one. Hey ho.

For all you UK Para owners or potentioal owners you need to get a 3/8 " O-ring to use as a spacer between the inner and outer barrels to stop it rattling and make it shoot as straight as a laser !

I know this has been mentioned before but the size of o-ring was in "american" 010 /011 I think warmonger said, over here in Blighty it's 3/8"

I have just bought a STAR M249 MK2 and love it, but had only one niggle and that is why do STAR design the battery box for a large battery but give you a mini connector in the box ?

The only problem i have had so far was a piece of epoxy in the box came off and got stuck in the feed pipe.

But the rate of fire is amazing, just need the spring to bed in before i try to adjust the hop up.

curlyboy

I got the same problem with the auto winder yesterday after a skirmish. Every time you plug the mag in the winder goes full speed. Even with the hand off the trigger and the safety on. I was lucky to have been running with a spare box mag and was able to see the problem with both mags installed. I'll be pulling the part and taking pics, then contacting Star. Any other info that I might need to send as well?

-forgot to add that this happened after running through 5 box mags total on this gun.

Edited by Mad Irishman
ok, so ive e-mailed star about my broken trigger mechanism 3 times. one form my schools e-mail server, once on aol, and once on hotmail, and they still dont reply. services@starairsoft.com, right? any other ideas?

I've tried contacting star several times about several different subjects, they never replied, not once.

I went back a few pages but i cant find your problem, is it the feed mechanism, or the trigger?

Hello guys

I just got my Para yesterday and I seem to be having troubles with the boxmag connection. When connected I can hear the winding system but that's it, the gearbox is not getting anypower. I checked the connectors a little and on some occasions I'll have the motor turn but barely.

I took off the gearbox and connected both the batteries I was using on the gearbox and both of them made the gearbox shoot fine. Any idea what I should check with the connections or inside the boxmag ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

have you check the connectors on the boxmag the bit that goes into the gun.there is 4 small pins some times the get jammed in and dont connect.use a small scewdriver and check there free and line up.

i have had my star m249 for about 3 months now it has broke down twice ,boxmag feed switch broke, chucked that one away and got new small push to make switch from maplin and hotglued in place no problems since, then i snaped the trigger because i forget to take the safty off was easy to fix as it had snapped the two little pins off,drilled them out and put a metal pin in job done.

all in all im happy with this gun as it gets used every week end and has had 80,000+bb,s through it ,nothings fell or broke off it.star have released spares for these guns,gearbox,tigger,feedtray cover but none have yet turned up in the uk

have you check the connectors on the boxmag the bit that goes into the gun.there is 4 small pins some times the get jammed in and dont connect.use a small scewdriver and check there free and line up.

i have had my star m249 for about 3 months now it has broke down twice ,boxmag feed switch broke, chucked that one away and got new small push to make switch from maplin and hotglued in place no problems since, then i snaped the trigger because i forget to take the safty off was easy to fix as it had snapped the two little pins off,drilled them out and put a metal pin in job done.

all in all im happy with this gun as it gets used every week end and has had 80,000+bb,s through it ,nothings fell or broke off it.star have released spares for these guns,gearbox,tigger,feedtray cover but none have yet turned up in the uk

Lining up the little connector is the first thing once I got the boxmag in my hand, so that has been taken care off already. Last time I tested it I had no winding at all from the boxmag and the connectors on the feed and connecting port are still fine.

I know the problem is somewhere with the connection between the boxmag and the gun but I can't pinpoint where exactly and since I'm one of the first people to have this gun around here our team gunsmith doesn't have any experience with it yet.

ok disconect your main battery for gun but leave the mag feed battery in place.remove boxmag from gun now short out two of the four pin to see if you can get the boxmag to feed?if it feeds your boxmag is fine and the problem is in the gun.now remove gearbox and check wires to switch next to trigger if all look ok reconnect boxmag to the gun without main battery.under the gearbox their is a small white push connector that goes to the mag feed switch,pull this apart and short out,if the mag does not feed their is a fault between gun connection and switch.if it feed then their is a problem up to the switch.i remove the cheap nasty switch that star fitted with a small push to make switch from maplins(105a tactile switch)kr89.i used a hotglue gun to glue it in place of the star switch.I will try to post some pictures of how i did this

Brakoo the gear box problem sound like the boxmag feed and the gun are not push together proply make sure the connector is pushed into gun correctly some times one end is not in proply and the boxmag does not feeds and gun fires or boxmag feeds and gun does not fire i have had this happen.hope this is of some help

Edited by muckymick

This thing is out of control. I just got home now and checker her up again. Now the boxmag is winding and the motor seems to be getting power but it's just doing a slight turn, nothing to move the gear or anything. It make it sounds like if the gearbox is seized but if I remove the gearbox and connect it to the battery it's fine.

I just finished doing some more testing and well the winding on the boxmag is still fine. Gearbox all by itself shoots fine. The gearbox plugged in the gun but outside of it's seating is not doing anything and the gearbox sitting in place I'll get slight movement from the motor and that's it.

There's no one around me that got one aswell so I can't test and see if it's theboxmag or the connections to the gearbox. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

you could try removing the main spring and see if the gearbox will turn when you pull trigger,if it the motor turn with the spring removed then it could be a faulty motor or connection.what size battery are you using and has the gun ever fired

The gun never fired with the gearbox in place but with the gearbox out of the gun and a 9.6v battery plugged on it it will turn just fine.

Not sure if this is the fault of the gun or the bat I used but I had my para spring set at the 2nd notch (pushed in) fired about 10 rnds and the battery cooked. I mean this thing was hot, totaly fubar. I've used the bat b4 on the standard setting with no problems.

Put a new bat in and put the spring back to standard, not a problem. The bat was an 8.4V 3000mha.

Any ideas ?