Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ello all

well this been me first post on Arnies, i thought i'd best make it here, within the SAW chat and the Star M249.

What can i say about this gun, hmmm .. rather nice to be fair, with some interesting curiosities.

If you dont mind me sharing these with you - here goes...

Gun as Stock - runs okish, 8.4 3700 nicad - with retianiner in L1 Position - giving 260fps. ** is this way down even for L1 position?"" Untested with Crono at L2 as i hadn't read this forum when i was away gamin :unsure: .

Hop up - er this is where i have problems, to get the rounds to go further than 10meters, i have to run with the Hopup completely off.. I've had the mechbox out - nozzle seems fine, checked down the barrel when mechbox was out - could see it was clear and nothing blocking. I see there has been this talk about teflon tape and the bucking, anyone have any pic's, of this procedure, one is rather new to the world of airsoft, and doesn't fancy damaging the gun.

Box Mag - currently no problems, although i'm abit unsure how ling the release clips on the mag will last, it takes some effort to get the feed out the 249.

Over all - i like the Star 249. I would just like to get opinions of anyone about the above...

Side note

I have the Star G36K also - and that is a fine fine shooter ! .. 350fps as standard out the box .. w00t w00t .. heh .. although again - it had hopup issues... Could this be where Star are failing slightly with other competitors??

Anyways - thanks to anyone who reply's - i know some of what i've asked as been covered, but it's always nice to have definitive answers to questions for newbies... eheh thanks all :rolleyes:

nigel

hi all

Disastrous weekend of skirmish. I lost the rear tooth on the piston to the minimi - found the cause - it appeared that the barrel when firing was twisting, so reseated the barrel but failed to notice that the bucking rubber had bunched up. So when firing it caused a jam, int he end the nozzle flew back into the piston and it gave up the ghost.

this minimi has never performed at all - so i'm wondering if it was a manufacturing problem right from the get go.

Anyways - thought i'd let you peeps know..

Also - earlier post - i said WGC are carrying the Star replacment parts, they are carrying them all - but the piston .. currently. If anyone knows where to get a replacment from - can ya pm me or post please.. thanks .

I have now read all the 57 pages and I have to admit that it took very long time. I want to thank staticzero for the lovely review and everyone else that have replied with guides and such.

I have decided to buy a M249 MK II with 9.6 3800 mAh battery and sp*2* spring. I think that I'll play with the L2 position from the beginning. Star original internals is the best way to go with this gun, if they are avaible so to speak. Let's just hope that star release their red gearbox in the near future, if at all, the same with the smaller magazine.

Questions:

- Do I need to buy a battery converter if I want to have a large-type battery in the stock?

- I want this gun to weight at least 5kg (local rules), is there enought space for lead weights? (I suppose so, want to be sure)

A check to see how much you have shot with your guns and how long it lasted before it broke would be nice :) (If it broke ;D)

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Storebror

Hi,

First time poster here and just finished reading through all the posts (took a while *whew*). I just wanted to know from those who've had their gun since last year how well it's been holding up and if you would still recommend it to anyone who might be interested in purchasing a SAW.

Thanks

Can someone please help me ? I lost that piece what keeps spring guide inside of the gearbox. (not that thing with spring, but that bigger black thing wich is like cylinder) Can someone take ALL measurements of this part? I need to make new one.

Had some fun with my para at the weekend.

I had decided to do the upgrade of adding the systema area 51 ported piston head to the gun a few weeks previously... anyway... this weekend the piston head fell off the piston... this resulted in the bbs basically falling out of the end of the barrel as the cylinder/piston generated zero air flow.

Looking at the piston head its clear to see that the thread where it attaches had sheared completely away... not too surprising as its a metal screw into a plastic piston head.

I luckily had the original star piston head with me and switched it back in... the gun now works perfectly again.

My advice: Don't use the Systema Area 51 ported piston head.

I managed to stand on the gun and snap the cocking handle off. I was quite surprised to find that after reading that it was an integral part of the receiver that it was in fact screwed on with two screws. Basically by standing on it I had knackered where they screwed into the plastic cocking handle. Heh... in fact in a very similar way as happened with the piston head earlier!

Anyway I carried playing with the gun and it worked fine... the cocking handle is of course purely cosmetic anyway.

When I got home I glued it back on with araldite and all is well again... :)

Edited by Yith

After at least 15 emails to Star through various email addresses, they have yet to even respond. I'm glad for the people that were contacted by Star but I find their customer service beyond worthless. I bought the gun from Redwolf in Feb and had the same trigger connection failure that many here have reported after 8000K rds. I ordered a "trigger connection" from Wolfarmouries (not pictue available) recentley which I hope is the part needed to fix the gun so I can sell it. I would not recommend buying from this company.