Star M249 Para Examined...

hey static got another question for you. did they put any kind of padding or anything in mag where the BBs are held, or do they rattle around like crazy. and if so does it look like it would be difficult to pad the inner walls with something??

It doesn't look like they did. Looks like it'd be pretty easy to pad. Seems like there is lots of room in there. ;)

:Dr_Evil:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good, but a bit annoyed by the lack of a working cocking handle.

May sound petty, but after you've racked the cocking handle on a G&G M14... :wub:

Excellent review, by the way :D

Meh... I like the cocking handle on the CA Mp5. That feels nice. ;) I have to get one of these. I think I am. I just bought spare parts though, only bout 200 more to go :D

:Dr_Evil:

Despite the fact that I have no job and no money Im not sure I would be able to bring myself to buy a STAR over a CA. The gearbox scares me, the lack of metal I dislike and it seems to me like buying a Star is accepting defeat. There is a certain pride in wielding a $1000 gun and the STAR just doesnt cut it.

The Internals Examined

I decided to have a look at the internals over the weekend, to see if there was any room for improvement. Sure enough, as I expected, the compression isn't the greatest. Probably why my FPS is lower than expected and so inconsistent. I'll be doing something about this later, I didn't have the parts on hand at the time. The shimming, as well as other aspects of the gearbox seemed all well and good. No odd signs of wear, good amount of grease, all that. All parts looked to be made of reasonably high quality materials.

The gearbox comes apart rather easily. Start by removing the spring using the quick spring removal feature. Next, remove the AR lever release button by removing the two screws keeping it in place. Don't loose the spring under it! Then remove all the bolts and nuts and set them aside. It might help you get them back in the right place if you do a quick sketch of the gearbox and set all the bolts down on the appropriate spot. The gearbox halves can then then split apart as normal, take the left side off the right starting from the cylinder head end. The cylinder head may not want to let go, so put some back into it if need be. Note that unless you de-solder the motor connection you won't be able to set the left half totally aside. You can work around it, just be careful not to strain the wire.

On to the parts:

The gears in place. They look to be of high quality.

IMG_7355.sized.jpg

The Spur gear.

IMG_7357.sized.jpg

The sector gear.

IMG_7358.sized.jpg

The Bevel Gear.

IMG_7359.sized.jpg

The anti-reversal latch.

IMG_7360.sized.jpg

Tappet plate, front.

IMG_7361.sized.jpg

Tappet plate, rear.

IMG_7362.sized.jpg

Cylinder Head. It seals with the cylinder and nozzle well.

IMG_7363.sized.jpg

Oddly enough, the cylinder is a FULL CYLINDER, it has NO HOLE. Conventional wisdom suggests replacing it with an appropriate, lower volume part may be in order.

IMG_7364.sized.jpg

Piston head, face. It's not ported. Porting it or replacing it with a ported version would be a good idea.

IMG_7365.sized.jpg

Piston head, side. I don't think the o-ring fits as well as it could. A different one may be a good idea.

IMG_7366.sized.jpg

The full piston.

IMG_7368.sized.jpg

High res photos available in the album, here.

That's it. Based on my findings, I plan on doing what I can to improve the compression, and I may possibly change to a lower volume cylinder.

UK users may wish to improve the compression for the sake of more consistent FPS, but a colder spring may be required after that in order to stay on the right side of the limit.

Edited by staticzero

Hi Static,

Just wanted to say excellent review and agree on every aspect and point you've made so far on the Star M249.

Thought I would share my experience of my M249 MKII which I used in several games yesterday and hopefully answer a few questions on how this weapon works in the Field.

Well I've gone through around 4000 rounds so far and had no feed problems at all with the Box mag or operation of the MKII at all. (The only problem I did have was that as there is no winding of the box I kept on forgetting how low the ammo is in the box mag and as I was having so much fun laying down covering fire I was amazed at how fast you go through the ammo, damn! *note to self carry lots of extra ammo when I use this MKII next weekend*) So anyone who has any questions or concerns on the Box mag don't worry it works very well. As a quick note as well the two AA batteries which operate the Box Mag operation are still going strong and I will be keeping an eye on how long they last before changing. The Main Battery I've used in my case is a 8.4 3700 and it has worked flawlessly so far with the Mech box. As I pointed out above the ROF is very nice, a little random occasionally with the FPS but over all but not that you'll notice to much.

The Hop-Up is also pretty good, and I did find it does take a bit of time to set-up nicely, but once done this will stay nice and true for a whole days skirmishing.

OK, for the honest truth those of you who are not in to a Plastic feel with your weapons or are looking for a more detailed model (and if you have the money) then stick with the TOP/CA M249. In my case I wanted to take the plunge into the M249 world at reasonable price and in my view the Star M249 does that very well.

As mentioned above I had a lot of fun yesterday and enjoyed every moment using the MKII, as long as the reliability of the Mech Box is good and I'm sure Static will confirm this it is a very solid bit of kit, easy to remove and easy to repair any internal parts, then I would say that this is an ideal starting point for a team looking for a easy to run Support weapon.

Just keep an eye on the ammo :)

(Static, just to let you know the weapon case for the MKII it is the same size as the Para, its just that the Stock is taken off for it to fit.)

Goose5x5

I have bought the MkII version over here in england, and i need to wait a few days for it, in the mean time can you tell me what the widing box mag is like? is it fast, does it jam?

I've had no issues with the box mag so far. Even when using the 9.6v battery it kept up just fine. No blanks, no jams.

Hi Static,

Just wanted to say excellent review and agree on every aspect and point you've made so far on the Star M249. 

Thought I would share my experience of my M249 MKII which I used in several games yesterday and hopefully answer a few questions on how this weapon works in the Field. 

Well I've gone through around 4000 rounds so far and had no feed problems at all with the Box mag or operation of the MKII at all.  (The only problem I did have was that as there is no winding of the box I kept on forgetting how low the ammo is in the box mag and as I was having so much fun laying down covering fire I was amazed at how fast you go through the ammo, damn! *note to self carry lots of extra ammo when I use this MKII next weekend*) So anyone who has any questions or concerns on the Box mag don't worry it works very well. As a quick note as well the two AA batteries which operate the Box Mag operation are still going strong and I will be keeping an eye on how long they last before changing.  The Main Battery I've used in my case is a 8.4 3700 and it has worked flawlessly so far with the Mech box.  As I pointed out above the ROF is very nice, a little random occasionally with the FPS but over all but not that you'll notice to much.

The Hop-Up is also pretty good, and I did find it does take a bit of time to set-up nicely, but once done this will stay nice and true for a whole days skirmishing.

OK, for the honest truth those of you who are not in to a Plastic feel with your weapons or are looking for a more detailed model (and if you have the money) then stick with the TOP/CA M249.  In my case I wanted to take the plunge into the M249 world at reasonable price and in my view the Star M249 does that very well. 

As mentioned above I had a lot of fun yesterday and enjoyed every moment using the MKII, as long as the reliability of the Mech Box is good and I'm sure Static will confirm this it is a very solid bit of kit, easy to remove and easy to repair any internal parts, then I would say that this is an ideal starting point for a team looking for a easy to run Support weapon.

Just keep an eye on the ammo :)

(Static,  just to let you know the weapon case for the MKII it is the same size as the Para, its just that the Stock is taken off for it to fit.)

Goose5x5

Thanks for the info on the MkII! I was wondering about the case, I suspected they'd just take the stock off, but then I wasn't sure that it would fit even then with the longer barrel and all.

Do keep us informed on the mag's battery life. I'll try and do that same.

is ther any barrel woble at all?

None. It's totally solid.

hello

real nice review i have to say

i think i have to buy me one too  :)

but i have question about parts from other brands like CA

will these fit??

for example: the portcover with rail or the ris ??

No idea at this time, but I hope to find out about that. I think I may at the very least get a new grip, for the sake of better feel, and to have the little storage compartment. Perhaps I'll be able to compare a few other parts in the future as well.

Verymanynames,

Buying a SAW is the start of a serious addiction. You have been warned. :)

hahaha. i hope its not just the start for me, i thought i already had a serious addiction. it can't possibly get any worse....can it???

losing self control....must...buy..more guns.

finacial responsibilities.....meaningless...must...expand...arsensal....