Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally got around to mounting one of my g36 side rails on my saw, just drilled to holes and used two nuts i got a home depot. simple really. stuck my BSA red dot on there for the time being.

Nice shot, Warmonger. Here's my CA, just added the railed feed tray today and plopped on my Leapers reddot on for a quick pic.

How did you mount it? Tap the cover and use metal screws? What'd you do to the rear sights? Were they molded to the tray-cover? Did it leave a hole? Any event, your gun looks good.

I recommend Red Dots for anyone trying to shoulder-fire the SAW, the sights are hard to get your cheek down low enough to look thru unless you're prone using the bipod. Red dot is perfect.

Birddog - at that fps (I assume you're above 450fps) with 6mm bushings I'd monitor those bushings often for wear. Ounce of prevention = a pound of cure and all that.

Edited by Hillslam

After reading through all the ###### in this thread of people crappping on the CA and the STAR I have no idea what I need to help my fire team gunner get.

Some of you have a problem defending your ego becuase you think someone's gun isnt as cool as yours so you spew BS about it. I would like to thank the previously mentioned for confusing the hell out of me.

Hey, if we confused the hell out of you - as you say, hell, buy both!

Yeah, that's right, spend nearly 2000 dollars and make up your own damn mind if you don't appreciate what others are trying to do here.

To me? I could give a flying *fruitcage* who buys a CA or a STAR. It's your money and I'm not going to be the one lugging it around. Nearly everyone who posted in this thread were just trying to show that, despite everyone thinking it was going to be a piece of *beep*, the STAR is a very capable, though different gun, from what CA is offering.

And contrary to '######' on either gun, people here have pointed out very real issues with both guns, that have been well documented on these forums and others. All of them true? No, but nevertheless . . .

So, like I said, if we've all done such a bad job writing up our own little reviews on this gun, you do us all a favor and go buy both and just make up your mind.

-Slo

Hunk,

Get the STAR: if you are on a tight budget, and/or you want a light support weapon, with very nice in-box accessories (solid case, autowinding mag). It's a good deal for the money.

Get the CA: if you want steel receiver, metal parts, a bit more realistic look (M16 mag capability, adjustable sights, cocking handle), and full TOP accessories compatibility (external parts)... and lugging around a 16lbs gun is no problem for you.

With a skilled operator, both guns perform well on the field.

Hunk,

Get the STAR: if you are on a tight budget, and/or you want a light support weapon, with very nice in-box accessories (solid case, autowinding mag). It's a good deal for the money.

Get the CA: if you want steel receiver, metal parts, a bit more realistic look (M16 mag capability, adjustable sights, cocking handle), and full TOP accessories compatibility (external parts)... and lugging around a 16lbs gun is no problem for you.

With a skilled operator, both guns perform well on the field.

This is all I wanted. Instead of people thinking their pointless your gun sucks becuase I have the better one back and fourth nonsense.

One minute telling someone a gun rocks and then the next poster saying no it sucks this this and this all break outta the box, its confusing to someone who owns neither and has never opened up their gun.

I will present my team gunner with the above. I appreciate the help.

Edited by Agent Hunk

First:

My recommendation: if you're buying a "team" or a "shared" weapon, buy the Star. Less money out of pocket and it operationally so far seems to be the same. Don't worry about looks, its a team gun, besides from 10' they look all the same. Plus it weighs less, so the younger/skinnier team members (if there are any) can tote it. Saves your money for other personalized non-shared gear or for more of the shared stuff.

Second:

If you want technical user data on the CA - don't read thru a Star thread (namely, this one) expecting real data. Go here and here. There you'll find actual owners in technical conversations, not purchase-endorsing rhetoric.

I don't think you can make a "bad" choice between these two guns (*cough* TOP *cough*). They're just different.

Edited by Hillslam
To be concise:

STAR: Affordable, good gun. Almost like a Newbie Support weapon.

CA: More realistic, still a good gun. For the more experienced and the more serious Support gunners.

Why do you need to be MORE EXPERIENCED or MORE SERIOUS to own the CA version.

What a load of rubbish............!

I suppose im what you'd call experianced , ive been playing airsoft for over 3 years, always wanted a support weapon so i bought a top m60 , had so many problems with it over 3 months i got rid of it.

When the CA minimi came out i almost bought one but changed my mind at the last minute, thankfully so ,as now i own the STAR minimi PARA version and its perfect for the role it fills, light enough to use without a sling, cheap enough considering the complete package deal.

£370 for package breaks down like this

£80 case

£70 boxmag

£220 gun

Great deal

Birddog - at that fps (I assume you're above 450fps) with 6mm bushings I'd monitor those bushings often for wear. Ounce of prevention = a pound of cure and all that.

I had a TM M4A1 that had a PDI-190 in it with stock bushings. The plastic bushings held up well for the year I owned the gun.

With a 190 in it, the gun shoots 40fps less than the amount you mentioned. A with a 9.6v 3300mah pack, the ROF is still high.

I had a TM M4A1 that had a PDI-190 in it with stock bushings. The plastic bushings held up well for the year I owned the gun.

Yes but an M249 support gunner goes thru a number of rounds in one skirmish that the typical M4 touting rifleman fires in a year. Always have to remember to think like a support gunner. Volume, volume, volume. :D

*thumbs up* and keep laying that (suppression fire) smack down, fellow SAW gunner. Hooyah.

Why do you need to be MORE EXPERIENCED or MORE SERIOUS to own the CA version.

More experienced because of all the problems that people say the CA249 has.

More serious because it's a bigger investment and it's *fruitcage* HEAVY.

More experienced because of all the problems that people say the CA249 has.

Which, after all the hyperbole and 3rd hand non-owner storytelling in reality translates to:

1 - hopup that can be overadjusted and cause a jam, resulting in piston wear or stripping of a $6 part.

2 - a microswitch for the trigger that was faulty (sticking on) for some owners.

:fear2:

And thats it. Funny how all the "I knew a guy..." made it seem more, 'innit?

More serious because it's a bigger investment and it's *fruitcage* HEAVY.

And we loves it.

:mrt:

Edited by Hillslam

Nice shot, Warmonger. Here's my CA, just added the railed feed tray today and plopped on my Leapers reddot on for a quick pic.

How did you mount it? Tap the cover and use metal screws? What'd you do to the rear sights? Were they molded to the tray-cover? Did it leave a hole? Any event, your gun looks good.

i just drilled two holes and used the same screws that held it on my g36, just got two nuts that fit them. there was plenty of room between the feed cover and the top of the mechbox for the nuts. the rear sight was held on by four small screws, the holes are mostly covered by the rail. i wasn't worried about putting holes in it, i dont plan on using the stock sight again, if anything i'll put a longer rail on it.

I recommend Red Dots for anyone trying to shoulder-fire the SAW, the sights are hard to get your cheek down low enough to look thru unless you're prone using the bipod. Red dot is perfect.

i agree, the red-dot still feels a little too low for comfort, i'm gonna have to get some kinda riser-rail, like the ones for the flat top AR's. i got a replica panorama electro-dot sight coming in the mail, i think it'll look good on a SAW.

Edited by WarMonger