Star M249 Para Examined...

Hey, this is the second or fourth time I've seen a comment like this in this thread.

Fellow SAW gunners, you need to change that mindset. Free yourselves from the shackle of the rifleman yoke. Let go of your sniperman round-counting inhibitions. Think like a support gunner. Start to feel the power of support gunnage. Accept the power. Embrace it. Let it flow. Feed it, feel it, love it, BE it...

Lay down the fire.  10k rounds per game, easy.

smack em, yack em

hahah, funny stuff, well put.

I myself havn't even come close to emptying the box is one game. But i havn't used it at a large event yet, only short games with small amounts of players. I do enjoying mercilessly hosing people down with plastic though.

That 1500rnd soft mag will be a very welcome addition to my gun.

Edited by WarMonger
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've just got my hands on my MkII at long last. Ordered it from Z1 on Sunday night and spent all week waiting for it.

First impressions are that is very solid, no creaks or movement in it. Its lighter than I expected (hoped?) but considering the kind of use its going to get I'm sure that it'll be an advantage. The overall finish is good and not shiny at all. Except for the weight its everything I expected it to be from closely following this thread.

Now all i've got to do is wait until the battery is charged before I can hose down the box it came in!

Got to put down some serious plastic last night at a buddy's house. I wasn't the only one giggling as those long, sustained bursts of fire were pelting the target downrange. My teammates all stood around telling me how 'obnoxious' the gun sounds, how 'stupid' the amount of bbs the thing puts out is, and generally how much they liked the way it shoots.

Can't wait to skirmish with it.

Lay down the fire.  10k rounds per game, easy.

smack em, yack em

BTW, I love the use of Jive talk from 'Airplane.' Lay it down and smack em yack em!

Has anyone had any problems using the stock gun with the spring guide in position 2?

Got mine a few days ago from ASGI.I am very please with the gun over all,very solid,nice finish,looking foward to fielding it.I was a bit disappointed that there seemed to be alot of stress on the box mag(being thincker) in the case with everything else,so I got a box opener and out lined the box mag in the foam,then got a pair of scissors and cut out the foam,so now the box mag is level with the foam.

CNXT0073.jpg

CNXT0074.jpg

CNXT0077.jpg

Sure_shot1.jpg

Edited by Sure Shot
Has anyone had any problems using the stock gun with the spring guide in position 2?

Got mine a few days ago from ASGI.I am very please with the gun over all,very solid,nice finish,looking foward to fielding it.I was a bit disappointed that there seemed to be alot of stress on the box mag(being thincker) in the case with everything else,so I got a box opener and out lined the box mag in the foam,then got a pair of scissors and cut out the foam,so now the box mag is level with the foam.

I was thinking of doing this aswell, but will the box mag survive it if you drop the case now? :huh:

The case is very tight, you know what i did? i took a sword (yes a sword) and sliced about a half inch or so off the back of the foam, and everything fits just wonderful now and i didnt have to cut holes in it.

AH static, i see you got your new toy aswell. I also see those stupid heat shield clamps scratched up your barrel as it did mine!!!! if you need anything machined let me know.

I made bars to go across the inside of the reciever to bolt the RAS on, bolting them through the plate was putting alot of stress on it. I drilled and tapped holes in the ends to bolt them in from the outside. then drilled and counter-sunk the holes down through the center and put longer bolts into the RAS. this pic aint great i know

Edited by WarMonger
The case is very tight, you know what i did? i took a sword (yes a sword) and sliced about a half inch or so off the back of the foam, and everything fits just wonderful now and i didnt have to cut holes in it.

LOL, I might have to take my Gandalf sword down from the wall and try this myself :P

Very nice review.

I was already planning on getting a support fire weapon.

And this one seems like the one for me.

If it will be the para or the MKII, I don't know yet, they both look great.

I do have a question, does anyone know if the red/yellow gearboxes are comming out in the future, and does maybe anyone has an idea when? I can't seem to find any descent info on them.

Just a couple of quick updates:

I bought the Tapco grip and it does fit although the angle that the large bolt screws in at is different than the one that comes with it. If you push the grip all the way up so it is flush with the bottom of the receiver and try to screw it in the bold will end up hitting the safety. You have to kind of "let it hang" while you're screwing it in and you'll be OK. It is nice to have the trapdoor in there, I'm thinking of rolling a couple of alkaline AAs and the hex wrench to adjust the hopup in some cloth and stuffing it up there for backup.

Also I found a place that sells cheap starter belts - $9.99 each but they don't ship outside of the US.

http://www.midwestairsoft.biz/Default.aspx...3&ProductID=476

i don't know, i'been tempted to buy some brand of metal railed feed cover. Static says They won't fit the star without modification, but i have no idea how they are different. At the next game, i'm gonna have to take a close look at this other guy's CA.

I have a question for you all. i've been comtemplating putting a collapsible AR stock on my SAW, would this be cool, or stupid do you think?

i don't know, i'been tempted to buy some brand of metal railed feed cover. Static says They won't fit the star without modification, but i have no idea how they are different. At the next game, i'm gonna have to take a close look at this other guy's CA.

I have a question for you all. i've been comtemplating putting a collapsible AR stock on my SAW, would this be cool, or stupid do you think?

I'll wait for someone else to try this out first then :P

I dont think a collapsible AR stock would look right on the M249, but if you want a different stock you could go for this:

M249 old stock

I bought won of these from the same seller, but havent recieved it yet, will post pics when I get it :)

I ran into some issues with my SAW, but they're all squared away now. Basically it was a feeding issue made worse by a bad fit between the cylinder head (brass) nozzle and the air nozzle that's mounted on the tappet plate.

I wrote up a small supplement based on my experiences with my particular gun to compliment staticzero's definitive review. The url is for our team's forums, and the mini-review/tech piece is posted there.

http://p3.forumforfree.com/star-m249-vt375-taskforce20.html

Edit: In no way, shape or form is this piece meant to be a one-up on staticzero's review. I add this only in the interest of increasing the amount of information available about the weapon. Hope you don't mind, staticzero.

Edited by Wupjak

It might look like it fell down the ugly tree and hit every single branch on its way down, but still, a very practical gun. The stock can be folded, and is adjustable for use with body-armor, winter clothing etc. The vertical grip doesn't interfere with the bipod.

http://www.gun-world.net/article/Belgium/f...14572297810.htm

Edited by Kristoffer