Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Static (or anyone else who is qualified to answer)...what kind of customization do u think is possible with this gun? Do u think a short rail can be attached to the top of the feed cover with some light drilling and a few screws? Is the barrel threaded to add say, a different type of flash hider/ silencer etc. (not that u would really need a silencer , but just checking the possibilities). If so, is it 14mm?

It kinda sucks that this gun isn't tricked out with cool goodies, but for $600, im not mad. Still debating on this 'poor man's saw' (and if i get this saw, i will be a poor man. sigh. the things i do for bragging rights. :D )

ALSO: do u know if a separate box mag is available? thanx.

Hey Static (or anyone else who is qualified to answer)...what kind of customization do u think is possible with this gun? Do u think a short rail can be attached to the top of the feed cover with some light drilling and a few screws?  Is the barrel threaded to add say, a different type of flash hider/ silencer etc.  (not that u would really need a silencer , but just checking the possibilities).  If so, is it 14mm? 

It kinda sucks that this gun isn't tricked out with cool goodies, but for $600, im not mad.  Still debating on this 'poor man's saw' (and if i get this saw, i will be a poor man. sigh. the things i do for bragging rights. :D )

ALSO:  do u know if a separate box mag is available?  thanx.

Sure, a rail could be easily attached to the feed cover. This is something I plan on doing soon. The barrel is threaded, I believe it's -14mm (need to confirm this). Though the whole bit forward of the sight block on the para is the flash hider, and removing it does expose the inner barrel a bit. The Star box mags are not currently available separately as of now, perhaps they will be in the future. They are very easy to change out, so it may make sense to offer them separately. Though, personally, one is enough given how easy it is to dump ammo into them.

cool. thanks for the info.

ps. on a different note: i was checking out your profile, admiring your guns and such.... how do u manage your airsoft gear?.. .do u have a case that holds your weapons when not in use. (if so, what kind) ?.. do u keep them displayed on a wall? it would be interesting to see your set up. (if u don't mind) I am looking for a good management system for all the ###### i have. Once again; thanx.

Ehhhh...

No offense or anything, but questions like this always make me nervous (especially from anonymous people on the internet). I mean, want to know which hours I'm away from home while I'm at it? ;) It's even more uncomfortable than the 'how much is the approximate street value of it all' type question. So my answer is I keep them all in a giant safe at the bottom of a toxic lake in my back yard which is infested with mutant sharks, crocodiles, piranhas, eels, and a lion. All surrounded by a 30' electric fence with razor wire on top and guard towers with sharpshooters armed with Barrets. There are routine patrols by helicopter gunships.

Actually, while I do keep them locked up currently (and I'm going to skip the where and how if it's all the same), I want to build a secure display case for it all. It would be nice to see more than one of them at a time witout having to dig them out. Something like the smith case you saw in my album, but bigger, more secure, and more permement. I'm thinking lots of steel and lexan, batcave style. Also the bottom would be lined with angry scorpions.

The display case I have is a sunglasses display case I rescued from the trash at my old job.

Oh and there is an edit button, by the way. Try to avoid double posting in the future, please. Some people might flame you for it. :)

I either getting an Eotech and one of these now or waiting for christmas and getting some gear. I wonder... But static you should get an Eotech 552 on that beast. Would look awesome. ;) And maby a nice foregrip :D

:Dr_Evil:

An EO-Tech sure is on my to-do list for a number of reasons. A foregrip would be at the expense of being able to fold the bipod under, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Ehhhh...

No offense or anything, but questions like this always make me nervous (especially from anonymous people on the internet). I mean, want to know which hours I'm away from home while I'm at it? ;) It's even more uncomfortable than the 'how much is the approximate street value of it all' type question. So my answer is I keep them all in a giant safe at the bottom of a toxic lake in my back yard which is infested with mutant sharks, crocodiles, piranhas, eels, and a lion. All surrounded by a 30' electric fence with razor wire on top and guard towers with sharpshooters armed with Barrets. There are routine patrols by helicopter gunships.

Actually, while I do keep them locked up currently (and I'm going to skip the where and how if it's all the same), I want to build a secure display case for it all. It would be nice to see more than one of them at a time witout having to dig them out. Something like the smith case you saw in my album, but bigger, more secure, and more permement. I'm thinking lots of steel and lexan, batcave style. Also the bottom would be lined with angry scorpions.

The display case I have is a sunglasses display case I rescued from the trash at my old job.

Oh and there is an edit button, by the way. Try to avoid double posting in the future, please. Some people might flame you for it. :)

An EO-Tech sure is on my to-do list for a number of reasons. A foregrip would be at the expense of being able to fold the bipod under, which I'd prefer to avoid.

whoa dude. my bad! i had honest intentions. I was only asking, because i am having a hard time keeping all my gear and stuff organized. (right now it just sits in the corner of my room) I was looking into display cases but couldn't find any reasonably priced. Thinking of something like this only smaller: http://www.secureit-usa.com/racksys.ASP

if u know of a thread that discusses it, i would appreciate a link. thanks. And I too keep venemous angry scorpions around my gear.

whoa dude. my bad!  i had honest intentions.  I was only asking, because i am having a hard time keeping all my gear and stuff organized.  (right now it just sits in the corner of my room)  I was looking into display cases but couldn't find any reasonably priced. Thinking of something like this only smaller: http://www.secureit-usa.com/racksys.ASP

if u know of a thread that discusses it, i would appreciate a link. thanks.  And I too keep venemous angry scorpions around my gear.

Like I said, nothing personal. ;) Just my honest reaction. Maybe I'm overly sensitive about it. Anyway, that looks like a pretty nice solution you found right there.

A very cheap solution that's easy to set up, and one I used to use, is pegboard and hooks. You can use stand-offs to mount the board to your wall, paint it as you like, and different types of hooks can be used to fit a range of guns. It's a good way to tidy things up until you decided on and implement something better.

Try a search, there have been some display pics threads in the past at the very least. It might be time for a new topic on the subject too, if you're looking for something a bit more custom perhaps you could get more input that way.

In any event, back on topic here please! :)

Edited by staticzero
hi ,

is the STAR m249 compatible with guarder , prime or G&P ras and ris that are available for top/CA m249?

I wouldn't see why not, but you'd have to ask static for sure. It would be a nice way to add more metal to the gun thats for sure (that rear sight is ucky, but the rest seems nice).
hi ,

is the STAR m249 compatible with guarder , prime or G&P ras and ris that are available for top/CA m249?

As I said before, I haven't tried any after-market parts yet. I'm hoping to examine compatibility yin the future, but this is dependent on having access to the parts. I don't see why they wouldn't fit, Star probably just copied the TOP or CA gun for the most part. I can't confirm that anything fits or dcoesn't fit at this time though.

BTW Guarder shows a few parts that they make that will fit on this page: http://www.intrudershop.com/show_product_e...p?idproduct=743

It doesn't mean that only those parts fit. It may be worth emailing them directly to ask about any other parts you're interested in.

would you be able to post some pictures of the reciever as that is the part which eveyrone is saying is just plastic and how ###### it is.

your camera is really good, and would show use what its like

is that ok for you?

Adam

I can do that, perhaps later tonight if I have time.

This is how we put it 

STAR M249 = Hyundai SUV 

CA M249 = BMW SUV 

Some people can afford a BMW, some people cant.  What do you expect a SAW that is simply 60% of the price of CA M249.   

STAR M249 is a poor man's M249.  You can say, heck, I can get a drum mag and a M16 or any other gun.  But, its still not a M249 =)

You forgot one:

STAR M249 = Hyundai SUV

CA M249 = BMW SUV

Asahi M249 = Ferrari F40

I've been a little too hard on the Star models. It all comes down to what you look for in an airsoft gun. If you want a SAW and you don't care about metal content, moving bits and price is your biggest concern, then by all means this one is for you. If you do like those things, and they are something you can't live without, then there are several different M249s out there. If you want quite possibly the best airsoft gun built, then the Asahi one might interest you. Each one has its pros and cons, it just comes down to how much you want to sacrifice to own one.

I see the Star M249 as a testbed of sorts for their modular gearbox system. This is the most exciting aspect of the gun, as it could be a new upgrade path for all aegs.

Quick update regarding the internals:

Last night I installed an Area1000 3/4 hole cylinder and an Area1000 ported polycarbonate piston head. I used a spare piston head bering set in conjunction with the piston head change. I also tried to install a Guarder polycarbonate piston, but ran into an issue.

I chose to change the cylinder from a full to a 3/4 hole version because conventional wisdom calls for this volume cylinder to be used with a barrel length from 229-430mm, such as the Para's 345mm inner barrel. The full cylinder will work fine, but may be more stressful on the gearbox and components over time. This was not, strictly speaking, a necessary change. The stock cylinder head did work with the Area1000 cylinder, but it isn't as tight a fit as I would like. The air seal did appear to be good, though. Because the cylinder is fully enclosed by the gearbox shell, I elected to install the vent pointing downward, but at an angle so as to not be fully covered by the tappet plate. In this position it will be able to vent into the gearbox, which is very open in the bottom. It would work fine. If It were installed in the conventional position, that is facing out towards one of the sides, it likely would not be able to work well because it would be obstructed by the gearbox shell.

I chose to install the Area1000 ported polycarbonate piston head because the stock compression wasn't that great. The stock piston head is not ported, and the o-ring doesn't seal as well as it could. I didn't feel like porting the head, and I was out of decent o-rings anyway. So, I chose to use the Area1000 part which is ported, and obviously worked well with the Area1000 cylinder. I had a spare piston head bearing set kicking around, so I installed it at the same time.

I attempted to install a Guarder polycarbonate piston because upon close examination, the last tooth before the large one on the stock piston showed wear. This was likely the result of using a 9.6v battery with the stock spring (Do not do that). Upon direct comparison, the guarder piston is obviously a more durable material. However, it won't fit! The problem is the thickness of the channels in the gearbox vs the guides on the sides of the piston. Some part of the equation is too thick, which prevents the piston from moving freely. I compared a stock CA piston, and found that it did fit the channel well. It may be that the Guarder piston is just off enough so as to be a poor fit for this gearbox. I have not observed this issue with any other AEG in which I have used a Guarder piston. I'll see if I can try other pistons in the future. In the end I did not use the CA piston because I wasn't able to get the old piston head off it, and I didn't want to use that piston head. So, the stock one is back in, for better or worse.

I have not been able to chrono since making these changes, but I'll be able to at the game tomorrow. Skirmish data to come soon!

staticzero, hows those pics comming on?

Haven't gotten to it yet. Perhaps tonight if I have time.

Edited by staticzero

Well I am sold on this, myself and my team are all active duty E-4 and below (wait I lie we have two married with children E-5's so they might as well be as poor as the E-4 and belows:P) so money is tight. The main thing we have been needing for our 6 man formation is a heavy support weapon. Looks like this is th one, thanks for the great info Static. As far as slingd for this bad boy, the sling pins and such are metal right? I may have missed this before and if so I apologize for asking you to repeat your self-

NAVY MA'S HOO-YAH!