125 Motorbike

shadow

Hey everyone,

Im 17 and ive heard santa is coming soon, so i asked him if i could have a 125 motorbike :P. Well, google came up with nothing, apart from 1000 CC bikes and scooters etc, so i thought id see if anyone knew their stuff here...

Im after a sporty looking bike that is 125cc (or a little under) and that also looks cool. Could anyone suggest a couple for me please.

Thank you :D

James

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH, you'll be wasting your money on a "sporty" 125.

They're very underpowered, very expensive, have a high EIG, and they may look good, but as soon as you turn your key, look look like a tit to be truthful.

I suggest you drive a car first, as that's safer, and also lets you learn the rule of the road and you can get used to being on the road with other cars without turning into roadkill.

But if you must, look at either

a Honda CBR 125/ NSR 125 (older model),

Aprillia RS125

Derbi GPR 125,

or (my personal fave) the Cagiva Mito.

You obviously know nothing.

There are many 125 sport bikes, but the two predominant market leaders are the cagiva mito and the aprilia RS125. As you are 17, you could infact ride any bike. 1000cc included aslong as you have the correct license and the bike is restricted to 33BHP. I have a GSXR600, and i rode this restricted for a year. Anyway back to 125's. THEY ARE NOT UNDERPOWERED. They have a 0-60 time of around 6.2 seconds, and with little modification can achieve 105MPH.

As for turning the key and looking like a tit, you obviously have no concept of motorcycling, do you? Yes they sound high-pitched, but i garantee that they will accelerate quicker than 90% of car's. Also, the roadkill statement. 8/10 a motorcyclist has a crash due to a moron in a car.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and it just so happens that i am selling an Aprilia RS125. If you are interested pm me!

Regards,

Steve

You obviously know nothing.

There are many 125 sport bikes, but the two predominant market leaders are the cagiva mito and the aprilia RS125. As you are 17, you could infact ride any bike. 1000cc included aslong as you have the correct license and the bike is restricted to 33BHP. I have a GSXR600, and i rode this restricted for a year.  Anyway back to 125's. THEY ARE NOT UNDERPOWERED. They have a 0-60 time of around 6.2 seconds, and with little modification can achieve 105MPH.

As for turning the key and looking like a tit, you obviously have no concept of motorcycling, do you? Yes they sound high-pitched, but i garantee that they will accelerate quicker than 90% of car's. Also, the roadkill statement. 8/10 a motorcyclist has a crash due to a moron in a car.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and it just so happens that i am selling an Aprilia RS125. If you are interested pm me!

Regards,

Steve

Im not sure who that was aimed at, but if it was me, then i DO infact have a concept of motorcycling, and am infact doing my AA test in the new year.

IMO, they are underpowered, and as i weigh in close to 15st, i feel a 125 IS underpowered. And "little" modification, may get the bike upto 105mph, the insurance will go up so high, Zues would need a ladder.

As for the sound etc. most people will instanly think its a scooter and that will lead on etc.

And 8/10 people may die due to a "moron in a car", but that still doesnt change the fact that 8/10 people die.

And as for acceleration, that contains soooooooo many variables, its not even worth getting into.

But thats my 2p worth.

If it wasnt aimed at me, never mind.

For a sporty 125, best bet is probably gonna be an Aprilia RS125. The RS makes good power for a 125 and will yield quite a bit more once you have your test done and can have it de-restricted.

There are other sports 125's but the Aprilia is readily available, runs well when looked after and is quite well supported by dealers throughout the country.

The Honda CBR125R is a good choice too, though doesn't match the performance of the Aprilia. It is a Honda though, and tends to be a tiny bit less temperamental. Also good coverage for Honda dealers for servicing etc.

Both the Derbi and Cagiva 125 sports bikes are rarer. This means parts and dealer availability may be limited. The Cagiva Mito is (IMO) the best looking of all of them, but with a finickey engine and 7 speed gearbox can be a little much for a learner bike.

Have you done your CBT yet? There are many dealers who do CBT packages where you may be able to test a number of these bikes (Aprilia and Honda most likely) So it's worth asking around local shops to see what they offer. The vast majority of bike shops are staffed by friendly, helpful folks who won't mind your inexperience and questions.

The bike press can be quite helpful too in way of comparison tests, leaner advice and classified ads. Motor Cycle News and Bike magazine are probably the most learner friendly.

Here's a few website thingies that you might find helpful:

Aprilia RS125

Honda CBR125R

Cagiva Mito - unfortunately, it's a pants flash web site, so you'll need to navigate a bit.

125cc Forums

DVLA Motorcycle requirements

I say get a Honda CBR 125. Had one for a while and it is a nice nice little runner, very reliable and a good bike to learn on. I personally don't like the 125s that look like super bikes. You would feel a right prat waiting at the traffic lights and a real superbike pulls up. Green light, it goes wizzing of and you are left standing, while everyone thinks "thats lame".

Just my opinion.

Please don't be a nob like all the moped riders round here are. There'a a group about 4 of them, and it really wouldn't shock me if one of them ends up airborne, judging by the way they drive. We were following behind 2 of them once, and they were taking turns to drive on the right-hand side of an A-road...

Thing with the CBR is that it has bicycle wheel's, or they are similar in size to a mountain bike wheel:D.

Its basically a CG125 with fairing on.

Also, not all honda's are bullet-proof, although i must admit jap bikes will be your best bet. Italien bikes tend to be high maintenance. But if your new to bikes, maybe a high-maintenace bike will set you on the right path.

Offroad bikes. There are a few road-legal ones, the yamaha DT125 tends to be the most popular. It depends on what you want from the bike. If you want a bike you can take for a blast around country roads on a sunday then definately the RS125 or the MITO. The rs125 won 2nd place in RIDE magazines top 50 handling bikes. But its totally up to you. Get yourself down to a showroom and sit on each bike. Get your CBT done first mind :)

For my 2p worth, you couldnt pay me enough to take home a CBR125.

Please try and keep this thread to relatively imparitial advice rather than X Bike is teh bestest, I had one, all others are teh suk.

Doesn't help anyone with little experience.

Personal opinions are all well and good, but you need to decide your own favourites Shadow.

A good thing is that 125's hold their value really really well, so you can always get a different one if your first choice doesnt turn out to be quite what you want. Generally, 2 strokes will have the edge performance wise whereas 4 strokes will be easier to ride and more tolerant of abuse.

If there's one you like style wise (like the CBR you mentioned) find a dealer with a test bike and try one. Then try a few others to get a comparison. Read as many reviews as you can find. Professional journalists tend to be more objective than owners.

CBR came 2 place on the best 125 test in What Bike ? magazine.

I have one, it is the best learner bike out there. The tourqe is ownege, as the

lovely sound of it. Sound like a Ducati, but more silent.

The small tires are nothing, don't bother. If you get chicks to like you when you got a bike, tell the to f*ck of, because they only like the bike, not you.

And other another thing, don't care about how the bike looks, but how it feels. :

I've got a mito (the one in my picture), and a lot of careful consideration went into choosing it!

As has already been said, for performance, the only real contenders in the 125 category are the mito and the rs125. Everyone likes to say that the bike they own is the faster of the two, but I've spoken to 2 people who regularly ride both, and one said the mito was faster, the other the rs125. So I really don't think there can be much in it in terms of performance.

I don't think theres really any argument about which looks better, everyone says the mito. Personally I think that the rs125 looks horrible from the front, its ok from other angles though.

And as for how it rides, well, I just can't get enough of mine. I've had it a bit over a month, and I've done more than 1000km already. When you get some chavved up saxo showing how fast it is, overtaking you in a 30 zone, and then being able to fly past them once it opens up to 60, and not seeing them again for about a mile while they catch up is incredible, no car you can get at 17 will do that!

The CBR 125 and the Derbi GPR will undoubtedly be more reliable, but they do lack the performance (and the smell of the smoke!;)). The Derbi uses the engine from the dt125, so will last well, but is a bit down on power at 22hp. And I'm not a fan of the looks of them myself either.

Spare's are unlikely to be in stock at your local motorbike shop for the cagiva or the aprilia, but there are a few big dealers in the Uk, and any shop can get bits in for you anyway. If you damage the fairings though, I'd recommend repairing them (easily done with fibreglass, even though they're ABS), because the cost of replacing them really does hurt!

Insurance is costing me £600 per year, for TPFT, at 17. It took a lot of hunting around to get that price, but you won't get insured on much of a car for that much at 17.

So personally I would highly recommend the mito, or the rs125 if you prefer the looks of that, or can get a much better deal on one. Or get the honda if you want to be artifically aged by buying the most sensible option!;)

Don't forget though, if you get a 2 stroke (mito or rs125), keep an eye on the 2 stroke oil! If that runs out, it's new engine time!

HTH

Cheers,

Graham

Oh and I forgot to mention, get a decent helmet (Arai, AGV and Shoei are good options), a good leather jacket and trousers, some decent length boots and proper gloves. It might be a bit annoying having to put it on every time you go out, and it'll certainly cost a lot to buy, but all it takes is for a car to pull out without looking (hardly a rare occurance), and you can be off. Even at 30 the results can be sickening without adequate protection. If you don't think you can afford it, have a search for some pictures of motorbike injuries, I'm sure that'll help persuade you to find the money!

Actually, the DERBI GPR is a 2stroke so it stinks of castrol :D

Honda arent bad at-all, infact i'd love a cbr600rr, but the CBR125 is so horrible its unbelievable. I wouldnt feel safe on a tyre that has about half-an-eggshell contact too the floor. Other than that, its dashboard looks cheap, its width is none-existent and it takes roughly 13seconds to reach 50mph. Im a bit of a speed-freak in honesty.

Plus points are it sounds like a bigger bike (No chance it sounds like a ducati. Having owned a 748 i know from experience!)

Go on, go for the 2 strokes... you know you want to :D

Good choice, just sit on them all and you will soon find one that best fits you. Make sure its comfortable, and that you can without a shadow of a doubt go flat-footed on the floor. Before you get a bike, i recommend getting some clothing. Worse thing you can do is wear traksuit bottoms or a single layer of jeans and come off, as they WILL melt and stick to your skin.

Archived