125 Motorbike

shadow

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at that bike show at the NEC last week.. i sat on/messed with a good few bikes.. my avatar is me sat on a CBR125R and im not impressed with it

Most 125cc bikes feel too small and rather spindly.. the only bike that was quite nice was the Varadero XL125V which is a nice bike.

IMHO id go for a two stroke 125 though.. i intend to get a cagive mito if pos.. i would go for an RS125 but the stories of engine rebuilds at 9,000 miles dont please me

A loevely ankle injury

For protective clothing, i would recommend Furygan leathers, they cost a bomb, but if it wasn't for my jacket, i would have lost my left arm a few year ago (even with the kevlar my shoulder was in 6 pieces and i was in a full body cast for 5 months), £350 V lifetime without an arm-- you do the Maths

I was at that bike show at the NEC last week.. i sat on/messed with a good few bikes.. my avatar is me sat on a CBR125R and im not impressed with it

Most 125cc bikes feel too small and rather spindly.. the only bike that was quite nice was the Varadero XL125V which is a nice bike.

IMHO id go for a two stroke 125 though.. i intend to get a cagive mito if pos.. i would go for an RS125 but the stories of engine rebuilds at 9,000 miles dont please me

A loevely ankle injury

Sorry to say, but the cagiva mito and the RS125 have the same engine. Therefore you have to rebuild exactly the same times. And its more like 11,000 miles per rebuild!

Shadow,

I worked as a motorbike mechanic for Zoom Racing , DON'T touch the Aprillia RS125. We had more of them than any other 125 come into are work shop with blown engines. YES they are fast and look cool, but buddy you will have to spend alot of money on rebuilds

It's all well and good going for a racer if you are small, but if you are a tall lad the riding position will kill ya.

If you are tall , i would go for a trail bike. The two strokes are ok, but I would go for a 4 stroke. They are more reliable , you don't have to mix the oil and they sound alot better.

If you want speed go for a Jap bike sports bike, not italian, they are more reliable and easier to get parts.

One thing with the sports bike, if you drop them it will cost you a bomb to replace the fairing or get it repaired.

Honda have a better build quality and spare parts can be got off the shelf.

If it is your first bike, I would go for a good second hand one. Most people fall off their first bikes, it's part of the learning curve. We have all done it.......

Anyway, good luck bud

I hope you get the bike of your dreams, but please ride it safely and wear your protective clothing at all times. There is alot of young lads out their that still ride around with just a helmet and normal clothes. NOT GOOD if you fall off.

all the best

Gunny

Shadow,

I worked as a motorbike mechanic for  Zoom Racing , DON'T touch the Aprillia RS125. We had more of them than any other 125 come into are work shop with blown engines. YES they are fast and look cool, but buddy you will have to spend alot of money on rebuilds

D'ya think that's cos the bikes are poor or because they're ridden by 17 year olds who have no idea about stuff like what type of spark-plug to buy, what sort of petrol to use or, generally, how to look after a bike?

On topic I'd say bite the bullet for a little while, FORGET about a sporty 125, buy a Honda CB125 or alternative 4-stroke 125.

A "sensible" 125 will be plenty fast enough for you to have fun on, cost WAY less to insure, be far cheap and will actually, in standard (restricted) tune, be just as fast as a Cagiva Mito.

Learn to ride, pass your test THEN get yourself something like a Suzuki 400 bandit.

Trust me. If you buy a 125 sports bike you'll get sucked into the whole bike-boy thing. Avoid it like the plague.

First off, you dont have to mix oils on a 2stroke 125. What you are talking about is racing pre-mixes. And at the end of the day, its all about what you like and what you'd like to ride.

Hissing_sid: Sucked into the whole bike-boy thing?

What the *fruitcage* is that? Surely if you buy a bike and ride a bike regardless of sports/sports-tourer/tourer/cruiser, you will be sucked into the "bike-boy" (whatever the hell that is) thing.

If you want to progress fast, get a CG125 or GN125, learn the ropes then go for a 400 sports or tourer, whatever floats your boat.

Crash bungs, or mushrooms are a good idea, though on 125 sports, you'll have to drill the holes yourself.

Oh, by the way. You can't de-restrict a 4t 125, as they come already de-restricted in the sense that they never have any type of restriction. They wont be fast enough to have fun on, believe me. The choice, is yours!

hissing Sid,

quote: D'ya think that's cos the bikes are poor or because they're ridden by 17 year olds who have no idea about stuff like what type of spark-plug to buy, what sort of petrol to use or, generally, how to look after a bike?

Both bud, young lads just jump on them and thrash the nuts off them, them expect their parents to foot the bill when it busts.

Hartley,

Quote: First off, you don't have to mix oils on a 2 stroke 125.

I know that bud, worded it wrong. What I meant was alot of young lads forget to top up the 2 stroke oil and let the bugger run dry, then top it up. This causes a air lock in the pipe then the engine heat ceases.

125 are ok to pop around on, but like the rest of the lads said wait and go for your 33bhp . You can then get any bike you want and put the 33bhp kit on it.

My last two bikes were 748 duccati for dry days, Honda CBR 900rr fireblade for the mad moments. but one of the best bikes I ever rode was the VFR 400r, I could blow the big boys away on the B Roads. They handle and look the nuts. Class bike.

Gunny

Hissing_sid: Sucked into the whole bike-boy thing?

What the *fruitcage* is that? Surely if you buy a bike and ride a bike regardless of sports/sports-tourer/tourer/cruiser, you will be sucked into the "bike-boy" (whatever the hell that is) thing.

You really don't know?

You don't see the groups of 17 year old, acne-ridden, w*nkers stood around street-corners revving the tits off some poor, knackered TZR125 with their Lazer crash helmets and Yamaha paddock jackets?

They spend all their time discussing all the "secret" ways of de-restricting bikes and tuning them up. They bodge and swap parts with each other, while forgetting to do things like replace brake-pads and chains, until none of them have a bike which could catch a Nova SRi on a B road and then they give up on bikes and buy a Nova of their own.

That's what your average 125 sports-bike kiddie spends his time doing.

Oh, by the way. You can't de-restrict a 4t 125, as they come already de-restricted in the sense that they never have any type of restriction. They wont be fast enough to have fun on, believe me.  The choice, is yours!

You're either talking through your @rse or you're advocating something illegal.

125s are restricted to 12hp. Doesn't matter if it's a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke.

And there aren't many people who bother to keep and de-restrict a 2 stroke 125 after passing their test.

Derestricting a 2 stroke 125 at home, usually by manually buggering about with an adjustable exhaust port, leaves you with a peaky bike which is a PITA to ride and attracts the attention of the rozzers every time you stop at a set of lights. It's also a practice indulged in mostly by your typical spotty bike-boy.

[edit]

FWIW, I've been riding for 20 years. Used to race (and mechanic) a 350LC and then a Super Mono. Only recently admitted I'm not a teenager any more and bought my first "proper" 4 stroke. Currently own a FZR600 but it'll be going soon in order to make way for my all-time dream bike: A Kwakka ZXR750L1. Woot!

If I won the lottery I'd love to buy an old RD500LC and bung the engine in an FZR400RR chassis though. One day....

Hissing Sid,

LMFA....PMSL.......

It sounds like you are from the same age group as me bud.

TZR's, 13sri nova's, xr2's...........The best 125 of the day mate was the old DT 125 or KMX 125. Then came along the TZR and whooped us all. But The RD 350 was the king of the road under the 400cc mark.

Gunny

RS125 ... when fully de rezed will hit 110 nice and easy. :D

I own a scooter ... 100CC Speedfight :)

Soon to come will be a 120cc bore kit, gear up kit, racing pipe, new clutch, new vari, lighter rollers, bigger jet, k+n style air filter, renthal dirt bars, digi speedo. :D

I like bikes, but I LOVE scooters ... still want a GSXR though :)

Sorry to say, but the cagiva mito and the RS125 have the same engine. Therefore you have to rebuild exactly the same times. And its more like 11,000 miles per rebuild!

Learn something new everyday.. tbh though ive got a long while to think about this and chances are something new will come out by then

No.

You'd do a Category A test on a 125. When passed this will then allow you to ride bikes up to 33bhp. You are restricted by this for 2 years. After which, you can ride any bike. If you are under 21, I'm afraid you're stuffed. This is the only route open to you.

You may do Accelerated Access once passing your Cat A. If you become 21 during the 2 year restricted period, you can opt to take a further test which will allow you to ride any bike earlier.

If you are 21, you can do Direct Access which will allow you to ride any bike.

*edit* they don't have A2 tests any more. And I wouldn't bother with A1 light motorcycle licence as it's the same test as the A, but you're restricted to 14.6bhp and will have to take another test if you want to ride anything bigger.

No, 4stroke 125's pump out around 14.6HP AND ARE NOT RESTRICTED. How many times do i have to say, 4stroke 125's come with no restriction as they never have had any. They hit 14.6BHP because that is all they can possibly put out.

What's your point?

As I already said, if your a learner then it won't make any f**king difference if the engine is naturally putting out 12hp or if it's restricted to 12hp because, by law, 12hp is ALL it's allowed to put out.

Regarding Aprilia engines, I'm not totally up to speed these days but I was under the impression that Aprilia bought the engines for their bikes off Suzuki.

When I used to race 250s you could use parts off an RGV250 on an RS250 cos the engines were the same. Rumour had it that this was the case with all Aprilia engines.

Dunno how true that is but I KNOW the RS250 engine is made by Suzuki.

Archived