125 Motorbike

shadow

ou.

You may do Accelerated Access once passing your Cat A. If you become 21 during the 2 year restricted period, you can opt to take a further test which will allow you to ride any bike earlier.

I love the way word that, why not just say "when your 19."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes kitch your right , then he would break his neck when the engine heat ceases up or goes bang.

Anyway, if you manage to get over a ton and the engine don't blow up. You will have to be one hell of a rider to stop the old bill catching ya. Instant loss of your licence over a ton.

It's all about how you ride a bike, not what speed you can get up to. Anyone can do 100mph in a straight line. Try doing it on a B-Road round bends.

Gunny

Yes kitch your right , then he would break his neck when the engine heat ceases up or goes bang.

Anyway, if you manage to get over a ton and the engine don't blow up. You will have to be one hell of a rider to stop the old bill catching ya. Instant loss of your licence over a ton.

It's all about how you ride a bike, not what speed you can get up to. Anyone can do 100mph in a straight line. Try doing it on a B-Road round bends.

Gunny

It would take ages for the engine to blow. I dont know where you get your information, but dependant on how you ride the 2stroke's, the piston will take a hell of a lot of miles to blow around 8000miles ridden hard, and about 11000 ridden easy. But I agree with you on the 100mph thing. Take my advice, only go stupid on a track. No point in losing your license/life all for a bit of speed.

Never said anything about on the road - I was assuming everyone would know that was just asking for death/arrest.

I screwed the nuts off an RS125 at Bruntingthorpe proving ground and much fun it was too. Radar timing gave it 104 mph down the 2 mile runway and because it's so light, if you keep the rev's up, it'll get through the twisty bits on the handling circuit as fast as very nearly anything else. Well looked after, they'll take a lot of abuse. Ham fisted technically incompetent riders are the cause of engine siezures, not engineering. All the sports 125's are fairly similar, the CBR125R being a bit down on power compared the RS and Mito but making up a little by being smaller and lighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Aprilia RS125 would probraly be my 1st choice, as many others have said the Honda NSR and CBR, Cagiva Mito, and the Derbi.

The derbi looks the *beep* but apparently the finish isnt that great also the gear lever is made out of plastic (i touched one at the motorbike show in birmingham)

Cagiva mitos look like ducati 916 but it is rumoured to be unreliable but this could be due to chavs just trottling it all the time, i guess if you treat it well then it will treat you well.

the Hondas will be reliable, but from a review i read in a magazine its suppose to be quite ugly (the CBR is so skinny it should be sent UN aid) and they are suppose to be quite slow (but thats coming from guys who pull 100mph wheelies :/ )

The RS125 looks good and is good all around, i have got an RS50 which is great fun to ride. and so far its been reliable and accelerates well so im guessing these features will be present in the rs125. also aprilia is releasing a new one in 2006 http://www.aprilia.com/portale/eng/mag_art...tml?id=1000&t=1

also if you want the naked look you could go for an aprilia tuono 125 which

is fairly sexy.

sorry if this info has been said allready, im about to go out so i didnt have time to read all the pages

Stick with a 125cc scooter till your at least 23, the insurance isnt worth it. I tried to get insurance this year on a 50cc 'racing style' bike and it was gonna cost me 2700 quid. Money better spent on airsoft ;D. Although I love bikes, I plan on getting a suzuki hayabusa when i'm older :D

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

Stick with a 125cc scooter till your at least 23, the insurance isnt worth it. I tried to get insurance this year on a 50cc 'racing style' bike and it was gonna cost me 2700 quid. Money better spent on airsoft ;D.  Although I love bikes, I plan on getting a suzuki hayabusa when i'm older :D

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

Insurance on my mito costs me £600 a year for TPFT. It pays to ring around a bit for insurance. And going straight to a big bike like a hayabusa with no previous experience with bikes is incredibly stupid. You'd be lucky to last a week.

And again, theres little point in riding a 125cc scooter until your 23, unless that's all you want, just for nipping around town etc. If you want a proper bike, then get one. You can get anything you like at 19 (assuming you got your license at 17), and although insurance won't get cheap until you're 25, it's not so ridiculous on most bikes, so unless you get something like a hayabusa ( :rolleyes: ), then you should be ok.

Graham

And going straight to a big bike like a hayabusa with no previous experience with bikes is incredibly stupid. You'd be lucky to last a week.

I have ridden bikes before, mostly 125's but had a go on a 600cc one once (private land mind you).

And what makes you think i'd go straight for a twin turbo bike. I like speed but i'm not stupid.

It's best not to make assumptions before you know more about a situation :)

Cheers,

Smash Joehanson

I like the look of the Aprilla Bike:

Can some please explain to me howit all works the tests and all that

like what do i start with before doing any other tests (i assume that when your 17 you can ride a 125cc)

cheers for any advice.

Ok, at 16, you can do you CBT. This is just a 1 day course, that you can't really fail. You have to do this before you can ride any moped or motorbike.

With your CBT, at 17, you can then ride a 125cc with 14.6 bhp or less. (IIRC) In the aprilia, I believe you just have to take the fuse out of the powervalve, which is probably under the tank, and this should restrict it to <14.6hp.

You then have to ride with L plates, can't use motorways, and can't carry passengers. You can ride around like this for up to 2 years before your CBT expires, then you'll have to take it again.

The CBT should cost around £100.

Your next step is to get your restricted A license. (I think thats the name). This involves doing a theory and a practical test. Once you have completed this, you can take off the L plates, carry passnegers, ride on motorways, and ride any bike, with up to 33hp. Pretty much any bike can be restricted to 33hp, but if you put that little fuse back in the aprilia, it should give it....33hp!

Once you have had this license for 2 years, it becomes an unrestricted license, so you can ride anything you like.

Some people choose to buy a slightly bigger bike when they get their restricted license, usually a 400 or 500, with the intention of derestricting it after 2 years. But usually, they get one of these bikes, get it restricted to 33hp, find it is out-performed by the 125 2-strokes, which are lighter, and running at the power intended, and they pay over the odds for insurance, because insurance companies tend to ignore the fact that the bike is restricted.

Then, after the 2 years, they decide they want something faster, and go out and buy a 600.

Sorry for going off-topic there. The test should cost about £60 or £70, plus £20/25 for the theory, so you don't want to fail it! You might want to consider taking a training day beforehand, so you know how to jump through the hoops. (No, not literally).

If you're 21, you can go for direct access, which is a test that allows you to go straight onto a big bike.

There are also other licenses, such as the light motorcycle license, but I personally see little point in them!

I hope thats of some help, anything else you need to know, just ask!

Oh and don't forget to apply for your license a few weeks before your birthday, you'll need it for your CBT, and it can take up to 3 weeks to arrive if you're unlucky.

Sorry SmashJoehanson, didn't mean to sound abusive there, but you hear so many stories of people jumping straight onto big bikes, thinking they can handle it, and then having to be peeled off the road when they find that some corners can't be taken at 90mph.

Cheers,

Graham

Ok, at 16, you can do you CBT. This is just a 1 day course, that you can't really fail. You have to do this before you can ride any moped or motorbike.

With your CBT, at 17, you can then ride a 125cc with 14.6 bhp or less. (IIRC) In the aprilia, I believe you just have to take the fuse out of the powervalve, which is probably under the tank, and this should restrict it to <14.6hp.

You then have to ride with L plates, can't use motorways, and can't carry passengers. You can ride around like this for up to 2 years before your CBT expires, then you'll have to take it again.

The CBT should cost around £100.

Your next step is to get your restricted A license. (I think thats the name). This involves doing a theory and a practical test. Once you have completed this, you can  take off the L plates, carry passnegers, ride on motorways, and ride any bike, with up to 33hp. Pretty much any bike can be restricted to 33hp, but if you put that little fuse back in the aprilia, it should give it....33hp!

Once you have had this license for 2 years, it becomes an unrestricted license, so you can ride anything you like.

Some people choose to buy a slightly bigger bike when they get their restricted license, usually a 400 or 500, with the intention of derestricting it after 2 years. But usually, they get one of these bikes, get it restricted to 33hp, find it is out-performed by the 125 2-strokes, which are lighter, and running at the power intended, and they pay over the odds for insurance, because insurance companies tend to ignore the fact that the bike is restricted.

Then, after the 2 years, they decide they want something faster, and go out and buy a 600.

Sorry for going off-topic there. The test should cost about £60 or £70, plus £20/25 for the theory, so you don't want to fail it! You might want to consider taking a training day beforehand, so you know how to jump through the hoops. (No, not literally).

If you're 21, you can go for direct access, which is a test that allows you to go straight onto a big bike.

There are also other licenses, such as the light motorcycle license, but I personally see little point in them!

I hope thats of some help, anything else you need to know, just ask!

Oh and don't forget to apply for your license a few weeks before your birthday, you'll need it for your CBT, and it can take up to 3 weeks to arrive if you're unlucky.

Sorry SmashJoehanson, didn't mean to sound abusive there, but you hear so many stories of people jumping straight onto big bikes, thinking they can handle it, and then having to be peeled off the road when they find that some corners can't be taken at 90mph.

Cheers,

Graham

Ahh right got ya.

heh at the moment im 16, but im 17 in april

I was going to start my CBT soon but after reading about it, im going to wait until im 17.

So to sum it up it goes like this:

CBT - 2 years --> So i can do my restricted A during the 2 year valid period?

So after ive done my restricted A i can then remove L plates and drive on motorways.

Correct me if anything there is wrong.

Yeh that's probably a good idea, although you might want to do your CBT shortly before your 17th, that way you can get out on the road straight away.

Yep your summary's right.

One final bit of advice: treat all other road users as idiots, assume they havent seen you, don't take their indicators to mean anything until their wheels start to turn, and be ready for them to suddenly stop when they realise they've left their lucky penny at home. None of the above will be true most of the time, but it's best to be prepared on the occasion when it is.

Cheers,

Graham

Yeh that's probably a good idea, although you might want to do your CBT shortly before your 17th, that way you can get out on the road straight away.

Yep your summary's right.

One final bit of advice: treat all other road users as idiots, assume they havent seen you, don't take their indicators to mean anything until their wheels start to turn, and be ready for them to suddenly stop when they realise they've left their lucky penny at home. None of the above will be true most of the time, but it's best to be prepared on the occasion when it is.

Cheers,

Graham

hehe :D cheers for the advice, .. now i can see where to start.

now then just to look for a bike to start with 125cc, .. must be reliable and easy maintenence until i learn basic motorbike skills.

Btw, .. Toyboy:

Im looking at the Aprilia RS-125, and after reading alot of reviews about them, and getting to sit on one (courtesy of my neighbour).

What i really need to know is about the fuel side of it, because apparently it requires a mix of Fuel and oil,...and now im confused.

Cheers for any advice:)

Btw, .. Toyboy:

Im looking at the Aprilia RS-125, and after reading alot of reviews about them, and getting to sit on one (courtesy of my neighbour).

What i really need to know is about the fuel side of it, because apparently it requires a mix of Fuel and oil,...and now im confused.

Cheers for any advice:)

Here's my advice.....the turkey say gobble gobble mother *fruitcage*. :D

I dno what it needs tbh ask someone who knows what it needs.

Archived