Random rant

Hissing_Sid

Just looking at the news.

I see that some mother is going to court to get the law changed to force doctors to tell parents if they carry out abortions on teenagers.

Now, I don't want to get into the whole issue of Abortion but FFS, surely forcing the doctor to tell the parent is a slice of PC nonsense?

I mean, surely in a sane world a judge would kick the woman out of court and tell her to go and talk to her f*cking DAUGHTER if she wants to find out what's going on rather than trying to drag some poor bloody doctor (who is supposed to be bound to patient confidentiality) into the middle of the situation?

"Hi, I'm an anally retentive, emo, blame-culture mother and I never taught my children any morals or gave them sex-education. I also have my own life to lead and I pay no attention to my kids so I didn't notice that my daughter was throwing up in the toilet every morning and then started to get a swollen belly.

IT'S THE DOCTORS FAULT COS HE DIDN'T TELL ME SHE'D HAD AN ABORTION!!!111"

Is it me?

Reassure yourself with the fact that what she's asking is a breach of patient confidentiality, as you said. Doctors don't need to inform parents when a child is being given contraception, and this is no different. I would guess that any sensible judge will throw this out of court straight away.

By the way, how old is the daughter? Saying that she wants doctors to tell parents about all abortions carried out on teenagers leads to the issue of when does it have to stop? 16? 18?

Reassure yourself with the fact that what she's asking is a breach of patient confidentiality, as you said. Doctors don't need to inform parents when a child is being given contraception, and this is no different. I would guess that any sensible judge will throw this out of court straight away.

But than again the mother will get the most wacked judge who twists every case, by some kind of fluke. But IMHO abortion is wrong but thats just me. Really the daughter shouldn't have been in the postiton to begin with, if her mother had talked to her. IMO both mother and daughter are to blame. The daughter for not having common sense and the mother for what I said above. ;)

:Dr_Evil:

Here's the story from the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4417580.stm

I mean, she comes across as very level-headed and sensible but the fundamental issue that it AIN'T THE DOCTORS JOB to inform the parents seems to have totally escaped her.

She's talking about kids of 16 or under and, TBH, it probably IS sensible to assume that a 15 year-old can't handle the responsibility for themselves but, as I said, the issue (for me) is that the mother is basically expecting to be given a "wake-up call" by the doctor which is, IMO, ###### parenting.

But than again the mother will get the most wacked judge who twists every case, by some kind of fluke. But IMHO abortion is wrong but thats just me. Really the daughter shouldn't have been in the postiton to begin with, if her mother had talked to her. IMO both mother and daughter are to blame. The daughter for not having common sense and the mother for what I said above. ;)

:Dr_Evil:

That's fine.

The only pointI'm trying to make is that, basically, it just aint the doctors problem.

Actually, I wonder if there's some hidden agenda at work here?

If this becomes law and it transpires that certain doctors are "well-known" for providing abortions to under-age girls then I'm sure the pro-life nutters will waste no time in making their life a misery.

I've always got my fingers crossed that abortion doesn't end up on the table like it does in America. Over there, it's a real hot potato. Mainly because of the religious lobby.

We don't need that. Just like we don't need a lawsuit mentality, as they do. Can't we concentrate on things like health, employment & crime, rather than these time-wasting distractions?

As an aside: my hometown has decided not to put up Xmas decorations these year for fear that they might fall on someone's head and provoke a lawsuit:

http://www.hertsessexnews.co.uk/news/mercu...is%20pulled.lpf

It's already happening...

Here,here!.....(or is it hear,hear?)

Damn you dyslexia,damn you to hell I say! :(

Now one does beleve that theese are becoming misunderstanding times.....Politicans and whatnot want to change our accustom to aplease those who are well lets just from england....However the common folk on the ther hand are becoming more apprehensive with the political correctness.

Now one does beleve that theese are becoming misunderstanding times.....Politicans and whatnot want to change our accustom to aplease those who are well lets just from england....However the common folk on the ther hand are becoming more apprehensive with the political correctness.

Do you write gun manuals for Marui?

You guys are making a lot of assumptions about this woman. Some people feel a sense of loss when a baby is aborted. From their point of veiw it kills the kid and it's murder. Also it's not right to assume that they didn't teach their kids how to be good and safe. Have you ever done anything wrong? Cheated on a test, made fun of someone because they're dorky, anything? Is it because your parents told it was ok to do or because you just felt like it?

However I think that once a kid is getting pregnant behind their parents back it's time for the parents to accept the fact that they have no influence any more, no matter what privacy laws the kid's doctor breaks.

If you think the breech of patient confidentiality is obnoxious, Phil Kline (Kansas Conservative / Anti-Ethics Chaiman) is trying to get the rights to open womens medical records to determine whether or not their PRIOR abortions were constitutional!

Yes, that's right, he wants the rights to look into people's medical records to see if they made the decision he would want them to make.

I don't care who the f*ck you think you are. No acehole is getting into MY medical records. (No, I've never had an abortion, I HAVE received medical treatment at the facility he want's access to)

Mr. Kline; please try to keep your nasty psuedo-religeous laws out of my vagina.

Elsewise, I might be inclined to take steps to further reduce the functions of your penis.

One question... Under who's insurance is this abortion being paid for... If it's under the parents' don't you think it might be a good idea to let them know that "hey Little Jenny came in for a routine operation, and put it on your tab. Everything worked out fine, so expect to see the bill on your next claims statement."

One question... Under who's insurance is this abortion being paid for... If it's under the parents' don't you think it might be a good idea to let them know that "hey Little Jenny came in for a routine operation, and put it on your tab. Everything worked out fine, so expect to see the bill on your next claims statement."

We have this quaint old thing in the UK called a National Health Service, its not fantastic, you may get a free case of MRSA with every hospital visit, but at least if I break a leg or find out I've got cancer, I'll get treated for free.

My major issue with having to inform parents is this:

In most western families, if your doc tells you that your daughter is up the duff and wants an abortion, then you pull together, talk to your daughter, go through all the options and then support her on whatever she chooses.

However, not all families are like this.

Some families will kill their daughter if they found out they'd had sex let alone got preggers.

Just recently a father and his two sons have been found guilty of murding the boyfriend of his daughter.

Thankfully the sending of daughters back to Pakistan (for instance) never to be heard from again (ie murdered) is in the minority, but it still occurs.

I for one would rather not be told my daughter had an abortion than risk having another girl murdered.

Already healthworkers involved in helping the girls already have to encourage the girl to inform her parents, and I'm perfectly ok with that.

If they are forced to inform parents, then girls will be murdered. Fact.

Personally I fully support the womans view. Parents should always have a say in surgical procedures performed on their children. It's absurd that kids can have abortions without a legal guardian being involved.

From what I've read there will still be the option of confidentiality if the child can show she'd be at risk if her guardian was informed. In this case, the state becomes the guardian. Without this the risk balance changes.

I know it must be very hard to prove risk and that it wouldn't protect all the people it's supposed to. However, allowing kids to elect to have abortions isn't protecting them either. It's far too life-changing to allow a child to decide without proper support, and that includes the parents.

I also strongly disagree that parents not knowing is bad parenting. Did your parents know when you started having sex? A frightened child weanting a pregnancy to go away might well hide it from their parents, claiming flu or something else to hide the symptoms.

Since I'm not a woman or a child I don't think my opinion is that important. to me abortion is one topic where mens opinions are of far less value than womens.

Think about this: this law will only apply to those children who don't talk to their parents about such matters. As soon as they realise that their doctor will breach confidentiality and talk to the parents the child doesn't want notified, these people will stop going to doctors. Now, what is this likely to cause? A rise in unwanted children, god knows how many young lives *fruitcage*ed up forever, and deaths when back street abortionists come back into vogue. Great.

What really bugs me, is reading about the woman who wants this change in law. Her two daughters aren't pregnant, and haven't had abortions. SHE has, twenty years ago, and she feels guilty about it. Thing is, she was twenty at the time. So, because retrospectively she feels she made the wrong choice, she wants to *fruitcage* up other peoples lives.

:zorro:

The NHS pick up the tab for abortions here in the UK, I think. So the Government pays.

Well, we all pay through our national insurance etc. but you know what I mean.

But you can understand what I'm talking about, strictly from an economic standpoint...

Parents should always have a say in surgical procedures performed on their children. It's absurd that kids can have abortions without a legal guardian being involved.

Very true also. This is your child going under the knife o scope, don't you atleast deserve to know that "Hey Bobby-Sue is going to the doctors today to have a possibly life threatening operation!" Rather than find out too late when your daughter is dead?

But you can understand what I'm talking about, strictly from an economic standpoint...

Very true also. This is your child going under the knife o scope, don't you atleast deserve to know that "Hey Bobby-Sue is going to the doctors today to have a possibly life threatening operation!" Rather than find out too late when your daughter is dead?

An abortion these days is hardly a "life threatening operation".

IIRC, it just involves taking a drug to induce a miscarriage.

Not life-threatening unless you're REALLY unlucky.

But, then again, eating Captain Crunch can be life threatening if you're REALLY unlucky.

Just to point out, the Hypocratic Oath which involves patient confidentiality (among other things) is still answerable to the law. Patient confidentiality can (and is) broken under certain circumstances. Eg- when a patient is a threat to public safety.

Archived