Random rant

Hissing_Sid

This is your child going under the knife o scope, don't you atleast deserve to know that "Hey Bobby-Sue is going to the doctors today to have a possibly life threatening operation!" Rather than find out too late when your daughter is dead?

You're missing the point.

It's all very well banging on that "a kid can't decide this sort of thing for themselves and the parents need to know...blah...blah...blah.." but why are we putting the DOCTOR in the frame for this?

Go tell the kid that she needs to talk to her parents. Go tell the kids boyfriend. Go tell the parents that they need to teach their kids to be more honest.

To me it's kinda like telling a trash-collector that HE must be responsible for the health of every person on the street by ensuring that there's nothing unhealthy in the garbage.

It's just NOT the doctors job.

I dunno, maybe they should set something up so a social worker can visit the kid in private?

I agree with a couple of previously mentioned points too.

Firstly, I imagine that once kids realise that they can't get an abortion privately you ARE going to see a rise in all sorts of related problems. You're gonna see unofficial doctors springing up to carry out abortions. You're gonna see kids trying "home-brewed" ideas for carrying out abortions and you're gonna see kids running away from home to avoid the shame of the pregnancy.

I also agree that it's risky to hand control of a situation back to the parents.

What if a kid wants an abortion but the parents are against it?

Apparently these new laws can't "stop" a kid getting an abortion but a parent doesn't need to be able to legally block the procedure. All they need to do is refuse to allow the kid out of her house after school.

There's other, much more subtle, pressures too. Girl wants abortion. Parents find out, contact boyfriends parents, organise wedding etc.

I have no idea if a kid seeking an abortion is entitled to any counselling but maybe they could set that up but I don't think a parent has any automatic right to know. Basically, it's just not the parents business.

Again, though, the main point is really just that I don't think the parents should legally expect to be told by the doctor.

i dont think this should come though as its going to screw up a LOT of young lives,and i would put money on there being a baby boom for the following yea,parents sometime are a lot better being in the dark in these kinda matters IMHO

as has been said before a lot of parents would FLIP if the found out there "littel girl" was haveing sex let alone up the duff

if the girl wants to keep it she will talk to her mum and dad if not she will get rid of it,there is no need to play piggie in the middel with some poor doc who probly has enough on his plate to deal with let alone haveing to phone up somm p*ssed parrent

this is MHO comeing from someone who has seen some of the effects of this stuff within the past few years and my school and college

cheers luke

Frankly I don't care if it is the doctor doing the calling; I beleive a parent has a right to know if their child is undergoing a medical procedure, as they are ultimately responsible for the child. For all I care it can be a nurse, an intern, a social worker, or Tony Blair. Parents deserve to know such things, just as they deserve to know if their child has just broken their arm, or gotten into an autoaccident.

One question... Under who's insurance is this abortion being paid for... If it's under the parents' don't you think it might be a good idea to let them know that "hey Little Jenny came in for a routine operation, and put it on your tab. Everything worked out fine, so expect to see the bill on your next claims statement."

I can't speak for UK legislation, but here in the states there are progams like "Planned Parenthood" that set up their cost (for patients) on a sliding scale based on income. So if you are a single mom who makes $20,000 or less, you can get annual exams and birth control on the cheap. In most states, minors have to have parental consent before receiving an abortion, but in the more lenient districts, young women can voluntarily termanate a pregnancy assuming it's withing the first tri-mester. After the first 3-months, abortion rights get even more complicated.

If a minor needs a procedure and she wants it kept confidential, then I doubt she would submit it to insurance. Most likely she and her partner would raise the captial independantly. Most clinics will put you on a payment system if you have limited income.

I'm torn about this issue.. firstly, kids that age shouldn't really be having sex and getting pregnant anyway.. they're still kids and as such, under the legal protection of their parent/guardian etc. That's in an ideal world of course and we patently don't live in an ideal world..

However, yes, it's breaking the Hypocratic Oath to reveal that sort of info, which isn't right either...

I'm no prude but abortion seems to be regarded by some as a form of slightly-delayed contraception.. I'm not saying that about every woman/girl who goes for one before anyone jumps on me (no way am I saying that and I know the longterm emotional damage that an abortion can cause for a woman - and the guy sometimes too - from some friends of mine; so I know it's not always the 'easy' choice). Whilst I would never make it a hot potato which the pro-lifers in the US try to I also don't think it should be a casually available thing which some girls/women can go and do countless times either and I also know a couple of girls who match that flipside (several abortions).

I don't know what to think on this one, to be honest...

Cheers

F

edit some typos

I'm surprised that NO ONE from the USA realized this...

We just had a referendum on this yesterday in California, called Link: Proposition 73. The jist of it was that parents must be notified about abortions any minors have performed.

link: Failed: 53% No, I believe.

Now I'm very on the fence about this issue. I very much oppose abortion, but I very much am in support of the "it's nobody's god damned bussiness what I do as so long as it doesn't affect you" way of thinking.

So while I hate the idea of abortion (very much in support of adoption), I feel it's nobody's right to take that option away from anyone else by force.

So for me it boils down to this: Raise your kids right damn it. Or atleast have a very open relationship so we won't need laws like "Proposition 73".

I have no sympathy for those who use laws to patch up failures in parenting.

EDIT: added links.

Given that some parents will murder their daughters when informed they are pregnant, is it really worth it?

Is a parent's right to know their daughter is pregnant worth the death of even one girl?

yeah i heard about that, "honour killings" dont they call it and the more grusom the death the greater the honour returned to the family.

personally it disgusts me, and i agree Xaccers its too dangerous a propasition to go though there are already way to many killings of that kind in the uk already (i saw a report put out by scotland yard stating that they are re-investigating over 10,000 murders in the UK previously classified as "accidental deaths under suspicious cirumstances" because the english investigaters did not know what they were looking at).

so yes if this goes through PC will yet again cause the UK many more problems

Edit: bad spelling

An abortion these days is hardly a "life threatening operation".

IIRC, it just involves taking a drug to induce a miscarriage.

Not life-threatening unless you're REALLY unlucky.

But, then again, eating Captain Crunch can be life threatening if you're REALLY unlucky.

I thought blast and scrape was more common? :mellow:

Archived