Service stability today

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=37499

There's maintenance going on at the hosting facility today, so things may get a little flaky while this goes on. See the above link.. not my fault, they're unplugging and working on the large pipes in and out of the place. ;)

Aye.

Been up and down like a whores drawers all day.

TBH, service has been kinda flaky for a few days.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=37499

There's maintenance going on at the hosting facility today, so things may get a little flaky while this goes on. See the above link.. not my fault, they're unplugging and working on the large pipes in and out of the place. ;)

Is this why it is quite slow :huh: ?

Update from the tech guys doing the network upgrade:

I do apologize to everyone for the downtime you are experiencing. We are actively working to resolve these issues as fast as humanly possible. Please try to understand sometimes unforeseeable things happen. Unfortunately there was a problem when updating one of the Core Routers. We have Foundry on the telephone and are working to resolve these issues. We currently are observing high packet loss across this segment of our network.

I know this isn't much of an update, but I at least wanted to give you guys something and let you know we are actively working to resolve it. We have overcome a lot of the larger problems that we have seen today. Hopefully we should have the router operating correctly shortly. Please standby

An yes, this is why the site has had problems today, maintenance was scheduled for today and downtime and periods of zero connectivity was expected.. although originally they predicted a few hours of problems, not an entire day.

It should be all over tomorrow, I hope.

Just a small update - sorry for the lack of Airsoft updates here, but I'm working on different projects today.

The hosting firm managed to botch a Foundry hardware upgrade by the looks of it. This resulted in them trashing their core routers for the best part of today.

After what I can only guess was several hours of the techs running around the DC like headless chickens, they decided that the best way to fix things was to back out of the upgrade and go back to how they had things.

There's not much else to say, basically all of the other customers for the host are upset with them and haven't had much feedback about it all. On the bright side I don't think anyone will be paying for hosting this month as we've now dropped down to around 95% uptime this month after a single day. :(

Well things are still FUBAR in the technical sense of the word with respect to connectivity.

I have read mutters of a botched software/hardware Foundry router firmware upgrade over at WHT, so I guess we are just playing the waiting game now to see how fast they'll fix it.

The problem is system wide, it's not just us, so as they're loosing money hand over fist on this one they should have it fixed as soon as possible. We've already had winges from them saying that their core staff haven't slept for 24hrs. :(

I hope things aren't supposed to be "fixed" at the moment.

I found that the server was slow before but it's awful now. Whenever you open a new page you get a blank screen for long enough to make you think you're gonna get a "404" error message and then it seems to kick into life and load up in a flash.

Don't mean to sound like I'm harrasing anybody. Just reporting the facts as I see em. :-)

Not a lot I can do. Things are a lot faster at the moment but that depends largely where people are routing from. If you're routing through level3.net in and outbound to the site chances are that all will be okay at the moment.

Server load is normal and pages are being generated without issue server side, it's just the routing that's screwed up and that's go nothing to do with me ;)

AFAIK, Pipex/BT/PlusNet should be working much better now.

Nope, service is all paid for and covered. ;)

They will fix it, and to be honest it'd create 48hours of downtime alone (at a minimum) if I decided to move hosting companies.

The hosting company are still working on stuff and gradually getting things back up to speed. It's still not back to where it should be but it is at least usable at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

At the moment site traffic is going up and up at the moment, and we're breaking records for visits and hits almost weekly. The net result at the moment is that I think we're again reaching the limit of what the current config can handle.

We are planning on moving to a larger server next year, which will certainly solve a lot of loading issues.

I'm not an expert when it comes to linux based systems although I manage. At the moment we're seeing loading spikes towards the evenings and I'm trying to pin point the bottle neck. It could be a specific page, service or line in the code somewhere. Last time some simple caching and rewriting of global queries reduced load to a tiny percentage so it's possible I need to do the same again.

I'm dealing with it, and whilst some pages may be slow occasionally the service should remain online.

If I know more, I'll stick it up here :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.