Velocity vs. Distance

VARIABLE

?

Oh look, a person with less than 100 posts spamming.

What I'm gonna do now is look at your other posts and, if it turns out they're all single words or short sentences I'm gonna assume you're spamming to reach 100 posts and gain access to the sales forum.

Then I'm gonna suspend you for a week for spamming.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Could someone make a short summary practical in airsoft therms of all this?

because reading the 4 pages makes my head spin... heh :)

I'm no physics person.

Heavier bbs are better. Its pretty simple really. The air resistance of a bb increases at a greater rate for increases in velocity than the decrease in velocity due to using a heavier bb. They will have the same energy leaving the barrel, but the lighter bb will have more force resisting its passage. As such, the heavier bb will hold its energy longer, resulting in longer range.

Hop Up alters the scenario a lot, but the heavier bb should still go farther. The spin creates a boundary layer that reduces drag, in addition to creating lift by creating a pressure differential. However, there are a lot of variables involved, making it very difficult to model accurately. I'm done with my third year studying aerospace engineering, and given enough time and effort, I could predict the effects of hop up on different bb weights, but it would change for every barrel type, hop up type, and hop up level. However, intuitively the heavier the bb the better, up to a certain point, dependent upon the listed factors, or in some cases safety. The only practical way is to buy several bb weights and see their effect on your gun's accuracy.

And who ever said that golf balls have dimples to increase 'grip' when they're spinning, you're wrong. Its the whole boundary layer effect, they help form air bubbles on the surface, decreasing drag. It was the first lab I did within my major, incredibly simple stuff, that is damn near impossible to explain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
There're people I respect most on this board and that includes you (teh Omniscience™), Sledge (lol/hour), R22Master (super noob saviour), and Shao14 cuz he likes kimbers. And recently VARIABLE for taking the time to show us his findings.

So no I don't mind. And that explains why I see my crude results on my end with .30's on the VSR beyond the limits; while it acts all weird on a 1J MP5. Thanks.

it will be better testing buy using sniper rifle indoor,

I use my L96 mount on a tri-pod. and use green dot laser shot through the barrel to adjust the scope. then do the test. I will upload my result soon.

• 3 weeks later...
(and area is calculated as A = pi * radius ^2)

I know this is THE most nit piccy thing in the world however the surface area of a sphere is not A=pi*R^2 its =4pi*r^2

Sorry may have been mentioned or may have been listed wrong and i doubt that it makes much difference but i assume as your not moddelling this as a particle and your modelling it in the x,y, and z axis's then a the area would need to be of a sphere not a circle :blink: might reduce your uncertainty or eliminate some anomolies?? Who knows??

Sorry to pick up on this as its like super minor.

• 1 year later...

Hey, if you're trying to find a program that works quite well, I've found bulletflight does the job excellently. If you input all of your guns data, but say you're using a clockwise barreled rifle, and say the mass is 0.189g, then the results are good to within an inch out to 200 feet. Obviously this might need slight modification depending on the hop up your gun has.

Just read this thread.

I got a mirror of the ATP website. I did try to contact VARIABLE to ask him permission to host a mirror, but he never replied.

You can view his work on http://mackila.com/airsoft/ATP/ .

If there is a problem by giving this link here, I will remove it. I think VARIABLE work is really great work and I did not want it to be lost with its hosting.

Archived