Identity of Scopes

ColDaz

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure that this is posted in the right section, and if not, please move it.

As you may know, I'm bit of a Stargate fan, and I'm currently putting together (plans for at least) an MP5A5 similar to those used in the earlier seasons of SG-1. Anyway, I'm looking for a scope the same or similar to the pictures below:

------

MP505.jpg

This is a picture of an airsoft MP5 with a modified AR15 scope on the rail. This is very similar to the other MP5s below, but if possible, I would prefer to avoid doing any modifications myself (I can break things just by looking too hard, and don't want to waste a load of money). If there is a scope out there that would be able to slip right onto a normal MP5 claw mount, I'd be a very happy camper.

------

Below are some (rather bad) pictures of the MP5 and scopes that the above airsoft gun was based on. Sorry for the bad shoits, but they were the best I could find, and the above picture shows quite well what they look like.

MP501.jpg

A small picture, but you can see quite well the general shape at least.

MP502.jpg

Again, you can just make out the scope.

------

Failing finding a decent enough scope similar to the ones above, I would be just as happy to find on the same/similar to the ones below, shown in later seasons.

MP503.jpg

A very good picture to see the scope.

MP504.jpg

And a decent enough picture.

------

I've been searching, and am beginning to suspect that the scopes at the top, used in earlier seasons, were actually products of the props department to make them look a bit different.

I'm not very knowledgable on scope and their makes (I've never bought one, and only used them on air rifles), so any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daz

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure that this is posted in the right section, and if not, please move it.

As you may know, I'm bit of a Stargate fan, and I'm currently putting together (plans for at least) an MP5A5 similar to those used in the earlier seasons of SG-1. Anyway, I'm looking for a scope the same or similar to the pictures below:

------

MP505.jpg

I've been searching, and am beginning to suspect that the scopes at the top, used in earlier seasons, were actually products of the props department to make them look a bit different.

I'm not very knowledgable on scope and their makes (I've never bought one, and only used them on air rifles), so any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daz

It might be this mount and the M16 scope that is the most match. not really good enough pictures to see any detailes though.

Mount

Scope

I'd say you definately want to avoid the ProScope-bolted-to-MP5-mount thing. It might look good on camera but it won't mount securely enough to use properly. I suppose you could do it with enough work but, I mean, can you really be bothered?

I've got one of THESE on my MP5. Is that long enough to give you the right "look"?

HERE is a pic of it attached to my MP5. Bear in mind that it'll look smoother if you mount it to low mount rather than a claw mount.

Have a look through the "scopes" page of WGC and see if there's anything suitable. I came across THIS one as well.

IBICO: I'd like to avoid modifying anything if I can help it. I'm ... wel useless with a power drill. That is what was originally used (apparantly) by the props department, according to a costuming site.

Hissing Sid: That would actually be close to perfect.

Do you have any problems with the front iron sight getting in the way of the scope? I've heard this to be a problem with some scopes in the past, and I figure that with a low mount this may be a problem.

Thanks for all the help anyway!

Hissing Sid: That would actually be close to perfect.

Do you have any problems with the front iron sight getting in the way of the scope? I've heard this to be a problem with some scopes in the past, and I figure that with a low mount this may be a problem.

Even with a low-mount on you won't get the front sight interfering with the scope. If you think about it, the rear sight is (obviously) alighned with the front sight. So long as the scope is above the rear sight (which it will be, even with a low mount) you'll be fine.

I would say, however, that a low-mount can make it a bit of a struggle to actually look through a scope. If you can find a low-mount which is a bit taller (if you see what I mean) then it'll be more practical.

If you just wear glasses, rather than goggles or a mask, then this won't be an issue. A low-mount with a mask is a PITA though.

That scope you linked to looks a lot like mine. I think it's just a generic RDS which a bunch of different makers re-brand and then sell.

[edit]

If you want a set-up which looks like this:-

MP503.jpg

Then you might want to go for a mount like THIS.

Notice, in the pic, it has a hole through the middle so you can still use the iron sights.

Hissing Sid, I can honestly say that you have been a great help.

I was going to go with a TM Claw mount, but this seems more accurate, and slightly cheaper to I think.

I wear glasses by the way, and have no problems with a P90RD sight, so doubt I will with this.

Thanks.

dont use a claw mount. i have that HurricanE mount on my gun (although a slightly longer one), and it is very sturdy. the claw mount can be prone to releasing itself when you sling the gun.

To be fair, the problem isn't really with the claw-mount... sort of.

The problem is, firstly, that the plastic Marui MP5 is quite soft so the claw-mount cant really "lock" into place on the gun.

Added to that, the Marui claw mount is made from a cast metal and it fractured easily.

I have a CA MP5.

I bought a Marui claw-mount and it was a very tight fit. Right up until the point where the feet snapped off.

I then bought a Guarder claw-mount. It's very tight. Period.

However, when I fit it to my MP5K it's nowhere near as tight because the feet of the mount just dig into the plastic and pull on it.

Using the Guarder claw-mount on a metal gun, however, the scope is TOTALLY solid. You can't even release the scope by pressing the button. The only way to release it is to pull the side-lever down and then press the button.

So...

The Marui claw-mount is poor.

Any claw-mount is poor on a plastic gun.

Having a quick look through Red Wolfs site, I came accross this scope:

MP506.jpg

It's a Kings Arms Green/Red Dot scope, and would run me to about £50/60 including tax.

What do you think?

Any experience or ideas about the looks?

i bought this from wolf armouies for 35 pounds, well, just red, not green/red.

the mount is VERY low quality, i changed mine to a high mount because im using a low profile bridge for my mp5

Why is he next to a puddle jumper? I don't remember seeing that on any episodes.

Edit: Sg1 is based in the modern day and they have basicly found a gateway that can take them to other planets.

Thanks for the help. I think I've found a decent scope.

Kukailimoku: It's the end of Season 8, it's a Puddle Jumper that was built by one of the guys from Atlantis. I don't want to ruin the story for anyone, but it was an alternate universe, and ... it works out when you watch it.

shankskank: Have a look here - www.gateworld.net

More specifically - http://www.gateworld.net/articles/features...chapter01.shtml.

Have fun.

On topic, my list at the moment is:

Airsoft Armoury MP5A5

CA Dual MP5 Mag Clamp x2

CA MP5 3-point Sling

G&P MP5 Tactical Foregrip

Hurricane Scope mount for MP5

MP5 Lowcaps x7

Small AEG Battery x2

Top Point RD Scope (30mm, cross reticule)

and relevant gear.

I think that should come close enough to what I want.

my list at the moment is:

Airsoft Armoury MP5A5

CA Dual MP5 Mag Clamp x2

CA MP5 3-point Sling

G&P MP5 Tactical Foregrip

Hurricane Scope mount for MP5

MP5 Lowcaps x7

Small AEG Battery x2

Top Point RD Scope (30mm, cross reticule)

and relevant gear.

Scary when you list it all out like that innit? :D

At first you're thinking "£150 for the gun (from elite) and then maybe £100 for the rest.

Then you take a closer look and realise that half a dozen mags (standards at least) is over £100-worth!

Haha, I know what you mean.

This will be spread out over a year though. I'm going to try to get the gun by January, and I want to get a few other things before March, but then it's my birthday, so I can get most of the bits I need then.

But yes, scary, especially with Christmas presents and all the other Happy Consumerism Day stuff.

For what it's worth, I have a real-steel H&K claw mount stuck on my (metal) ICS MP5A4, and that bugger isn't going anywhere. Sid is right with the plastic gun thing - I've seen people who've tried mounts on plastic bodied H&K's and they've had nothing but trouble. I think the only solution to that would be a mount made of a similar plastic, if such a thing exists.

Zero_DgZ: I haven't posted again in this thread about it, but I have sourced a pretty cheap Guarder H&K Claw Mount, which is more screen accurate, so I think I'll be going with that anyway.

Thanatos: I have no experience with any Classic Army products at the moment, and would rather stick with what I know to be honest. Thanks for the idea anyway.

perhaps i got a lemon of a mount then. i had a TM SD5, and also now have an ICS one, and on both the claw mount was prone to falling off. admittedly, it WAS worse ont eh TM, but for me and my brother, it happened to our ICS guns aswell.

oh well, ive got a hurricane mount now anyways.

Archived