Which Artkis vest?

Smoke

Right...

What with the festive period just around the corner (yes I know it's still November, it wasn't my idea) and people wanting to buy me stuff, I've been looking at getting an Assault vest of some description.

Having done a lot of reading on here, and other websites, I've narrowed it down to a couple of the Artkis range. Either the 1602 Hybrid vest, or the 1604 Marines vest.

pic of hybrid;

1602_Hybrid-www.jpg

pic of marine;

prod_1604d.jpg

They're both the same price, so that's not an issue. However, my problem is this... I'm really quite slim, and although the marines vest gives me much more carrying ability I'm not sure it'll all fit 'round me :P

Has anyone actually got either of these, if so, can you tell me just how adjustable they are?

Anyone who has used both, what were your opinions? I want something in DPM, and I've read the web-tex stuff is a waste of time - even if it isn't my money ;)

Any help, advice, opinions wanted.

Regards,

Smoke.

Well before you ask, no, I haven't worn either of those vests. But I've had a bit of experience with Arktis stuff.

First off, why do want a LRRP vest for airsoft? Are you a mil-simmer, or do you need to carry loads of stuff with you? I reckon that the Marine BV is a bit over-kill for any airsoft game, bar Berget :P I believe those large chest util pouches are removable though, which is good if you ever plan on shouldering your rifle at all ;)

Arktis stuff is good, but it's not as fantastic as people think it is (and I don't know who these people are!). It's come down in price a bit recently, which is good job. The problem is, it's really hard to find Arktis gear in a shop, so you can never try it on for yourself. Also, slim people don't get on very well with assault vests by all accounts.

Anywho, that's as much as I can offer on the matter :)

Hybrid vest mate

Alot of guys in the forces have them, they seem to be quite a choice piece of gear above alot of others. And as D_N pointed out you will never need those large dump pouches on the front of the marine vest.

Doc im one of these people who do recomend Artkis gear :P

Thanks for the input guys.

I was leaning towards the Hybrid myself seeing as - as Doc points out - I don't actualy need to carry that much stuff for a days skirmishing.

It is an irritating fact that slim people and vests don't really mix. I looked at a set of PLCE webbing, and it was the same price. I might have to get some body armour to pad myself out a bit. :P

I have come to the conclusion that the Hybrid will be better than the Jungle vest, seeing as it's nearly £50 more.... Am I right in this?

Once again, thanks for the help. :)

I have come to the conclusion that the Hybrid will be better than the Jungle vest, seeing as it's nearly £50 more.... Am I right in this?

I'll give you a call when I put something in the classified section ;):P

Go for it. If I wanted another vest, I'd get the Hybrid. But then I'd definitely be some kind of vest-collecting freak.

DPM vests worth buying:

wyvern all arms vest

issue assault vest

karrimor vest

Ask doc about the norloose rig - that comes in DPM too.

I'm not really an arktis fan but personally i like the look of the marine one. However since in airsoft you probaly won't need much room , i'd say the hybrid, after checking out my other suggestions.

Looked at the Norloose rig after having read Doc's comments on it. Unfortunately I think it'd go 'round my waist about 3 times before I could fasten it :P

Just didn't like the look of the Wyvern All Arms, not for any particular reason though. It just didn't look as well made.

Have you got a link to the Karrimor?

Cheers.

Hybrid FTW :)

Seriously, I know 3 people (including myself) who use it for airsoft and real steel (in one case, dually) and they swear by them. I have a Hybrid-Marine-hybrid (if that makes sense, it's a prototype) and it's a good un too.

You can totally overfill the pouches and waddle through doorways but it's a good all-round vest and I'd rather have too much space (capacity-wise) than too little :)

As mentioned above, if you're physically small then Arktis stuff does hang loose on your frame. My mate is like a shaved matchstick so he adjusts his very tightly. I'm a 42-44" chest (and 36" waist, not that anyone cares!) and it fits me very well indeed.

Cheers

F

Hybrid FTW :)

Seriously, I know 3 people (including myself) who use it for airsoft and real steel (in one case, dually) and they swear by them. I have a Hybrid-Marine-hybrid (if that makes sense, it's a prototype) and it's a good un too.

You can totally overfill the pouches and waddle through doorways but it's a good all-round vest and I'd rather have too much space (capacity-wise) than too little :)

As mentioned above, if you're physically small then Arktis stuff does hang loose on your frame. My mate is like a shaved matchstick so he adjusts his very tightly. I'm a 42-44" chest (and 36" waist, not that anyone cares!) and it fits me very well indeed.

Cheers

F

That sounds like as good a recommendation as I'll ever get for something :)

Unfortunately I'm like the shaved matchsticks skinny mate :P but by the sounds of things, it'll all adjust down. Either that, or it's an excuse to kit out with some kevlar :D

:o Am I wandering into geardo territory here? With an Arctic windproof smock, and dessie trousers, this is becoming remarkably like an impression :P

Looked at the Norloose rig after having read Doc's comments on it. Unfortunately I think it'd go 'round my waist about 3 times before I could fasten it :P

Mine fits me okay (33" waist). I added a padded hip belt to the inside loops as well.

Now I am some sort of vest freak......... but I sold my Jungle BV & Hybrid BV's, the hybrid is an updated version of the former really, not long ago. Both excellent but to much capacity for most players & skirmishes.

The NL would be a better fit if you're of small build. It's certainly more comfortable if you're wearing it for an extended period, it's what it was designed for I believe. Also easier to access the pouches when prone as you can open up the front easier or slide it around the waist.

However, of your initial choices I got to say the Hybrid is more "skirmishable", and an excellent bit of kit. :D

Frangible, didn't I sell you that vest? :money:

I don't think the Hybrid will have too much carrying capacity. I'll be carrying 9 Aug mags, so that's the Ammo pouches pretty much tied up (or 3 of them at least, depending on if I can get 3 mags into a tripple pouch, Aug mags can be a bit of a nightmare). Pyro's, and other general 'stuff' will probably take up either the remaining Ammo pouch, or one of the utilities. So it's not like I'll have a load of empty pockets.

The going prone thing is a slight concern, but I'm going to find that with any vest pretty much, and it doesn't seem to worry the guys using these for real.

I'll still have an FSBE if I want to go low drag though, but I'm tending to go more for woodland skirmishing rather than CQB - hence the DPM requirement.

Anyway, once again cheers for the input guys. If any other options or ideas spring to mind, please feel free to point them out.

Regards.

Arktis stuff is OK, but not much better than that. They're probably the least heavy duty gear available, with a lot of single stitching going on. They also don't line thier mag pouches, so if the vest is stored compressed for a length of time, the urethane backing of the fabric sticks to itself. The advantage of Arktis is that its light and pretty dang cheap. 'Course, its not worth more than about $120 brand new on Ebay anyway.

I still think that wyvern are a better make than arktis. I wore mine to death, and its still intact. So tyechnically its not to death but hey... i'll get my hat.

i know what you mean i love my WAAAV but artkis gear is good and rather popular. I've been saying for yonks that i would replace my current vest with the hybrid, but i've realised im perfectly happy with the wyvern vest........but i'll most likely still buy the bloody thing! :P

smoke just to say the the WAAAV is damn near invinceable as of yet i've had no problems with it and i've had it for at least 2 years of hard graft. I have never weighed it fully loaded but it takes alot of weight plus i have modded it alittle with 2 large utility pouches at the rear and a cantten pouch as well so it has even more weight on it that most.

just trying to sell it to you

I don't think the Hybrid will have too much carrying capacity. I'll be carrying 9 Aug mags, so that's the Ammo pouches pretty much tied up (or 3 of them at least, depending on if I can get 3 mags into a tripple pouch, Aug mags can be a bit of a nightmare). Pyro's, and other general 'stuff' will probably take up either the remaining Ammo pouch, or one of the utilities. So it's not like I'll have a load of empty pockets.

Regards.

Should fit 3x Aug mag's okay. From my own experience the Arktis mag pouches will fit 3x airsoft AK hicaps & just about manage 3x 450rd long M16 hicaps (these are the longest mag's I've used) or 4 standard hicaps.

Archived