Full Face Protection!

situpking

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit, I have glasses, goggles and a full-face mask and wear them all (not at the same time).

I like to think that I wear the glasses (with elasticated headband to hold them tight around by eyes - available from sports and surf shops) in woodland and the full-face for CQB but, I gotta say, I often bottle out of wearing glasses and wear goggles instead.

My X800s were an ideal compromise until they got nicked. Now I just wear my Laylax goggles instead.

I think to sum it all up, we should all do the following:

Full face in CQB, or Sealed goggles with a Neoprene face mask or equivalent (no balaclavas or shemaghs)

Goggles or full face in woodland/FIBUA. Face masks etc if you want them.

Shooting glasses for posing, or if you're blind/have leprosy so you can't feel ebing shot in the eye. Have morphine syrettes. Or for plinking.

Does that sound fair to everyone?

I don't like the look of full face, and it ususaly steams up on me (Well, it did when I played paintball), so I won't be using it much. But I WILL buy a full face mask for CQB/FIBUA. In wodland, I personaly don't think it's as dangerous, but that's my opinion.

I may have a solution for all the misting up. Go along to you're local motorbiking shop and you can buy for about £10 a handy, trimmable film to put over the inside of you're visor. This stops fogging up entirely and works wonders in both my V-force gun mask and my Shoei Biking lid.

I really don't like this idea that wearing a mask isn't geardo or doesn't go with your kit for the love of god pretend to be simunition or something. That’s cqb, that’s real military’s training and that’s safer. Goggles have suited me fine for woodland play plus theres the engagment range rule where you cant get to close and then its "bang-rule" like FMJ but I dont plan on using anything but full face for proper cqb.

on a lighter note "TAKE YOUR HITS!!!"

I think to sum it all up, we should all do the following...

I think we should all stick to making suggestions rather than trying to tell people what to do.

As I say, I often wear glasses in woodland and milsim games and they're fine. I wear goggles for more intense CTF or KOTH type games.

I'm with Sid on this..

My choices are always goggles for CQB (X800s too) and Oakley M-Frames outdoors.

Situpking and HK_Chick it's not a problem for us to disagree, you're two fine individuals and I know exactly what you're saying and why you feel as strongly as you do and it's to your credit.

Also, Basho, I can understand why you're personally involved in this too and of course I'm sorry to hear about the guy and his injury. However, I would contend that not everyone who says that it should be a personal choice is an idiot.

You can't legislate for everyone and make them do stuff just because it's a good idea. If you're an adult you make your choices based on information. My eye protection far exceeds the safety ratings needed for airsoft in the UK. I know the risks of not having my eye socket completely sealed which is why I usually wear goggles indoors. As Situpking rightly points-out that it's mandatory to wear a crash helmet in the UK (unless you're a Sikh, I believe?) so too it's also compulsory to make people wear suitable eye-protection in airsoft and rightly so. As far as I'm concerned that's enough enforcement for the UK sites at present.

I've not played at the sites you've mentioned but, as I've said above, I've taken bursts in the face whilst doing room-clearing at a maximum distance of a couple of feet, probably much less, at a particular site that's known for aggressive play and high (very high) FPS aegs. Yes, it hurts a bit but I've not lost teeth to it. I'm possibly lucky or my skin is leathery enough to withstand that kind of thing. Now the guy behind may not be so lucky and may not feel the same kind of way and thus chooses to wear full-face. That's my point - it's up to him - so long as he knows what he's risking.

Posts like these illustrate that there are risks with any physical activity but what I'm saying is let people know the risks - even the horror stories - but let them decide what's best for them. If they're adults and have all the information at their disposal then it is their choice. I would never recommend glasses for CQB but I would say they're fine for woodland play.

I'm no particular sort of tough guy, I'm not trying to be macho, I even watched and enjoyed Notting Hill on tv the other night, so I must be getting soft ;)

Notice the name of this forum?

Newbie Discussion

So, for the newbs:  Please don't come to electro without full face.  Glassess are for gerdo's.

Indeed.

The title of this forum is NOT "Hints and tips for Electrowerks".

If we are going to start handing out advice to newbs I'd suggest buying glasses, goggles and a face-mask and taking them ALL with you to every game.

As I say, if I KNOW there will be CQB I'll always wear my mask. End of.

I often start off wearing glasses but, if the opposition is a bit fierce, will swap to goggles.

OTOH, if the game is an easy-going one then glasses are less restrictive.

Sorry people seem to of taken offense at my reasons for not wearing full face protection.

The SNAFU part was a joke. I doubt I would really get kicked but the main reason is I do not want to.

I wear inclosed goggles and think that glasses are maybe a bit stupid wore them for a few game but felt the risk to my eyes was not worth it. I wear glasses I know how anonying having bad eyesight is and do not want to risk that again.

The teeth thing is not as serious you can replace teeth and your life is not seriously effectedby a chipped ot lost tooth. I have seen more teeth lost by tripping over than airsoft so the risk is definitely not as serious. I am also not saying that people who wear full face are in some way ghey or anything it is just that I personally do not like it.

And you know when I pay £200 for a gun whats another £200 for a tooth. ;)

I wear inclosed goggles and think that glasses are maybe a bit stupid wore them for a few game but felt the risk to my eyes was not worth it.

Just to reitterate, I gotta say that I ALWAYS wear glasses with an elasticated strap to hold them firmly in place. there's no way I'd EVER consider playing airsoft wearing glasses that might slip away from my face or come off completely.

If you buy decent glasses they should seal all around your eyes. If you have a fat or thin head then you should get glasses that fit properly and use a strap to ensure they seal as well as possible.

I refused to wear glasses for airsoft until I found a proper way to hold the glasses firmly in place.

TBH, I've seen people wearing glasses and I could poke a finger in at the side of the glasses. That kinda thing is way too unsafe IMO. Glasses are only OK so long as they are a proper fit.

Indeed.

The title of this forum is NOT "Hints and tips for Electrowerks".

In a way you are right, but in a much more accurate and important way you are not.

The OP was talking about Electro' after all.

Secondly, I would not go around giving advice for places I haven't played (unlike some others here).

To be fair Sid we do agree in principle about full face. So, IMHO bring full face to:

Electrowerkz

Fallout Basildon

Epsom Tunnels

Longmoor CQB area

Spectre CQB

I personally feel that to not do so is unsafe in the same way blindfiring is unsafe. Its a choice, but newbs in hospital finding out they wont be able to drive a car ever again is a VERY big price to pay for not wearing the right gear.

So, yeah it IS a choice; choose wisely.

Basho out

$180 you could have saved by wearing full face protection.

Or you could get the NHS to pay for you.

Hell! the NHS are paying to get me prescription inserts for my skirmish goggles :rolleyes: you could easily get them to pay for this.

True, I suppose I am willing to pay the money and even after a chipped tooth a still do not wear a gum shield for Rugby. Some people just never learn.

ok.. so, i think, to sum up.

1) its not right to legislate, but ok to strongly advise.

2) full face is recommended for cqb, but of less urgency in woodland.

3) goggles DO need total seal.

4) it is your choice what you wear, but also totally your own responsibility if you get hurt as a result of your choice of face protection.

is that fair?

ok.. so, i think, to sum up.

1) its not right to legislate, but ok to strongly advise.

2) full face is recommended for cqb, but of less urgency in woodland.

3) goggles DO need total seal.

4) it is your choice what you wear, but also totally your own responsibility if you  get hurt as a result of your choice of face protection.

is that fair?

Yes, indeed.

It's not so much a matter of where you aim. There's always those shots that either go wide, or just don't go where you want them to for whatever reason. That includes situations like being startled, swinging your gun round and popping someone in the face when you don't mean to. It's unfortunate, but it happens.

Aye, ye speak the truuuth...

Plus i find a mask ruins a loadout IMO... but thats just the geardo in me...

Right, someone explain this to me, cos I really don't get it. Why does being a geardo mean that you can't wear a full face mask? Do all real steel soldiers always wear eye protection of some sort? If the answer is no, then why can you not suspend your disbelief just that teeny weeny little bit to allow you to wear a bit of extra plastic on your face?

I'm sure in your heart, no matter how much you try to deny it, you know you're an airsofter. You know you're not a soldier (ok, so maybe you're both, but then you're gona realise the difference even better :P ). You know you're playing a game and firing plastic. So why not just make that one little exception to your picture perfect loadout?

Right, someone explain this to me, cos I really don't get it. Why does being a geardo mean that you can't wear a full face mask? Do all real steel soldiers wear eye protection of some sort?

If delta wanna wear Oakleys thats there buisness ;) Equally, if you want to wear them, thats your call, just don't come crying to me when you trip and scratch the £80 lenses...

:P Really thought, I don't get why some folk say the "have to" wear one or the other, I mean I usually wear the B&Q wonder specs, but thats due to being a tight git and them fitting over my prescription lenses rather than a perceived necessity...

a grusome huge paintball mask looks silly, and glasses do the same job in terms of eye protection.. surely is the players job to decide whether they care about being shot in the face... if you cant take a little pain, dont play airsoft...

And while im not a Professional soldier, i am in the OTC (stuckup wanabees yes) and i know airsof is a game... but there no reason to have every square inch of skin covered... just play better and dont be hit is an idea...

Archived