Full Face Protection!

situpking

I'll never use full-face. They look like ######, make it harder to aim and lower your visibility. And now I'm talking about those which are actually safe, the quality ones with double lense. Mesh masks are even worse.

I currently use goggles from a JT mask, but I'll get X800's rather soon. For realistic and practical protection, use goggles, a balaclava and maybe one of those rubber teeth thingies.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TBH, electrowerkz is kind of a special situation - CQB where everyone and there dog seems to be firing at 500fps+

No, the limit is 328 and EVERYONE gets chronoed.

At an outdoor UK site with a 328 fps limit, broken teeth are realy, realy rare.

That pic I posted? Thats a woodland site, with a stock g36c, at 20m. I know, cos I fired it at him.

Wouldn't it be a lot more sane if Electrowerkz introduced a 328fps limit on all guns? I mean, in CQB, you dont need that sort of power anyway! hell, I could CQB fine with a slightly upgraded EBB!

Do your research. Electrowerkz already has such a limit. :rolleyes:

I'll never use full-face. They look like ######, make it harder to aim and lower your visibility. And now I'm talking about those which are actually safe, the quality ones with double lense. Mesh masks are even worse.

Are you implying that mesh ain't safe?

Can you provide a single documented instance where a mesh mask has failed?

Almabla on these boards got shot point blank at one of his front teeth, didn't even leave a mark.

I don't doubt that airsoftguns will do that under certain circumstances, but it's too rare for me bothering to use nasty fullface.

Also; When Almabla himself used a fullface mask he wasn't able to aim his MP5A4 properly.

GOOGLES AND BALACLAVA FTW!

That pic I posted? Thats a woodland site, with a stock g36c, at 20m. I know, cos I fired it at him.

Are you implying that mesh ain't safe?

Can you provide a single documented instance where a mesh mask has failed?

A teammate got shot point blank in the teeth with an ICS MP5. He might have been lucky, but close encounters like that shouldn't happen anyway. The guy doing it was breaking the engagement rules. Anyway, rubber or silicone teeth protection is cheap.

Even stores selling equally priced masks with glass lenses wouldn't recommend them due to safety hazards. Even though low quality bb's are the only bb's likely to shatter on impact, you can never know what an opposing player has loaded his magazines with. And I've actually seen high quality bb's, such as Excel, shatter.

And the visibility in a mesh is like looking through a mosquito net. It's slightly blurred, and it takes your eyes more time to actually see an object.

There really is no need for a debate on this. What is needed is FULL SEAL, not a full face mask. If you keep your mouth shut, you wont loose teeth.

I don’t use any full face masks other than for CQB. You just need to think about what the game will include. Also when you are using a scope, the last thing you need is a huge face mask...

As far as new players, I would recommend a mesh, full-face mask.

To be honest, in CQB I feel that it should be mandatory for people should have to wear full face. Mesh is probably even safer than the plastic mate, I agree with Ghost, find a site that proves that.

Respectfully, I completely disagree with you - not about the mesh (I wouldn't trust it but that's just my personal choice, plus I think it looks fugly, but if anyone else wants to wear it, more power to them) but I do disagree about mandatory full face protection.

People should be free to choose what they wear and how they play - so long as it's safe. If people want to wear full-face, mesh, medieval pig-faced bascinets, S&M hoods or whatever else they want then so long as it maintains a satisfactory level of eye/impact protection then all is well and good.

We enjoy a hobby/sport where we shoot projectiles at each other. This can happen at close-quarters. There is a theoretical chance you could be injured. It's a physical sport, know the risks and make an informed choice of your own but for the love of God let's not have more of the "Thou shalt do x and y" because that's the current climate which the Government and this country is rapidly being pushed down and I for one am thoroughly fed-up with it.

Respectfully, I completely disagree with you - not about the mesh (I wouldn't trust it but that's just my personal choice, plus I think it looks fugly, but if anyone else wants to wear it, more power to them) but  I do disagree about mandatory full face protection.

People should be free to choose what they wear and how they play - so long as it's safe. If people want to wear full-face, mesh, medieval pig-faced bascinets, S&M hoods or whatever else they want then so long as it maintains a satisfactory level of eye/impact protection then all is well and good.

I agree with the freedom of choice, its just my two cents about protecting the sport and not giving them another reason for banning airsoft one way or another.

For the record, I'm not suggesting that full face should be mandatory everywhere.

However, places like Electro, Fallout basildon, Epsom Bunker, and so forth, where almost all action is up close and personal, as it were, should consider it a good idea.

I have been to Electro and Epsom bunker, those are the sort of sites I would make it mandatory to wear full face at.

edit: I just remembered I used goggles on last saturdays game..oops!

What about a compromise (well not that really but a different idea) I saw this on Zero-one, they do a full faced version too, this combined with your current goggles would be fine (IMO) of course there are issues of comfort etc, and I cant see how these are attached to your face.

image.jpg

My main issue with full face is sweat, of course this is completely secondary to eye/mouth safety but i've found in skimishes to instinctively (and stupidly) get my fingers under the mask to try and wipe the sweat off. this partial covering should be ok though, as it would probably absorb most of the sweat and the rest of your head would be open.

Do you think this setup (combined with decent reputable goggles) work with the closeness you have at electowertz? (spl?)

I agree with the freedom of choice, its just my two cents about protecting the sport and not giving them another reason for banning airsoft one way or another.

I hear ya mate but we're just one trip down a stairwell, someone accidentally falling on someone's AEG or getting a MK9 thunderflash down the trousers away from that kind of bad publicity anyway. <_<

The tide is moving against people like us, gradually I think...

edit: I just remembered I used goggles on last saturdays game..oops!

Welcome to The Dark Side... ;)

Maybe I'm a macho, hairy-chested numpty but I say you've also got to be careful with stuff like this too because there's a flip side - it could scare newbies off. I've taken hits in the face from illegally hot guns (by this country's standard) at stupid ranges in CQB and apparently my luck must outweigh my stupidity because I still feel that paintball is more likely to injure you than airsoft is. If you only told people the kind of horror stories you get associated with Rugby then people would probably never play it. Yes, people get injured, paralysed and even killed playing that sport but it's very, very rare and most of the time, nothing bad happens and if you play afraid of getting injured you're much more likely to be injured IMHO..

I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying all of this as it seems to be against what most people believe, but it's what I feel/think; let adults know the risks and make the choice themselves....

Cheers

F

most of the time i agre with you mate.. but this isue i'm really hot on. woodland i can understand. but if you plasy electro, or fallout, then you will know what i mean when i say close. and i'm not talking one shont. electro is full auto at 5m range. ive been laced at point blank. and its not rare for injuries. thats two ive seen, on 2 back to back games, both of which could have been avoided with a full face mask.

i have scars from fallout that are permentant fromcoming round a corner into a fire storm. you can't ride a motor bike without a helmet in england, although hopefully you dont fall off every time you go for a ride. its not subjugating people to make them wear a full face mask, its simple common sense.

Maybe I'm a macho, hairy-chested numpty but I say you've also got to be careful with stuff like this too because there's a flip side - it could scare newbies off. I've taken hits in the face from illegally hot guns (by this country's standard) at stupid ranges in CQB and apparently my luck must outweigh my stupidity because I still feel that paintball is more likely to injure you than airsoft is. If you only told people the kind of horror stories you get associated with Rugby then people would probably never play it. Yes, people get injured, paralysed and even killed playing that sport but it's very, very rare and most of the time, nothing bad happens and if you play afraid of getting injured you're much more likely to be injured IMHO..

Cheers

F

sorry, mate - disagree with you there. Don't think this will scare newbies off playing at all, in fact, I think it helps to be prepared for all possible risks before starting the sport. I must admit I was aprehensive before my first game at Electro, just because I've seen the scars from some of situpkings hits.

put it this way - it's a highly charged, adrenaline filled atmosphere there. People are 'keyed up' and may do things before they've realised - I was full autoed almost point blank in the face by one guy hiding in a door way - just because I frightened the *fruitcage* out of him as he didn't know I was coming. Likewise, I was so wound up I started to point blank him in return briefly, before we both realised what we were doing & stopped.

I was glad I was wearing the mask when the bb's were pinging off the front centre of it.

now before you start saying 'yes, but that's just one site'. I went to AG05 this year. It was my first ever skirmish. Even though I now see it as tame in comparison to my current play style, I was keyed up to the same levels and could quite easily shot someone in the face without realising or meaning to.

so yes, I say, for safety's sake - wear full face...

I don't wear full face because....

I can't be bothered.

It looks ghey.

I would get kicked from SNAFU.

They are uncomfortable

Most restrict vision alot.

I have taken bursts in the mouth and they hit my teeth from less than 5 metres many times and my teeth have never even chipped.

Same for many friends and my local site is usually from less than 5metres.

Ok time to wade in on this one.

I take this very personally, why? Because I was the man behind the guy who got shot in the eye. He was wearing Guarder shooting specs and the range was about 20ft. yes 20ft, not 5, nor 10, 20. Thats the sort of range you would expect at woodland or FIBUA not at electro.

He was in agony. Seriously. I haven't had to help someone in that much pain for many years. The shot had just come at him from the wrong angle and snuck under the glassess and his eye was *fruitcage*ed. For that first second I thought he had just lost his goggles or something, but then when he couldn't answer me because he was in so much pain (and still under fire) I dragged him away and after prying his hand away I saw the wound and we got him the hell out of there.

RESULT: I WAS TOLD (TUE) THAT HE LOST 20% OF HIS VISION PERMANENTLY.

So logic and sanity dictates that you must wear SEALED goggles, not glassess.

Second, face. Well, electro does have a very strict limit to its guns. I know that the marshals take a very dim view of people sneaking in hot guns and they crono everything.

My GBB shoots straight 320fps. I have shot people wearing glassess only that now have semi permanent scars because it cut their cheek. If thats not enough, I had a very good look at the guy on tuesday who lost a tooth and it looked BAD, real bad. He was in pain too. He was also embarrassed and ###### off.

So the logic is clear: IF YOU COME TO ELECTROWERKZ BRING FULL FACE.

Don't give me any *beep* about wearing a scarf because I play there every week and it just does not cut it.

As for the posters here saying "it personal choice", you are bloody idiots. Play with your own risks at your £1 springer garden parties you god damn chairsofting tits. :angry:

Basho

I hate to keep quoting the same pic over and over. As usual, this is from covert of canton, and the pic is taken in hong kong:

ouch.jpg

Now most say that pffft, you honkies have your guns up to 2J so this is bound to happen. Dude, if any of yous think this way, try spraying your own face with goggles on from 1 meter on a 1J gun. Or if that's too scary, try it at 1 meter on a wall of empty coke cans.

You don't need a powerful gun to do damage like that. As someone above said, it's when someone breaks the minimum engagement distance rule. I ain't no psychic so I can't tell you exactly who's gonna break it. Much like you can't tell me if you're gonna be in a car accident when you drive home tonite.

When I first started this sport, I really tried to be courteous and generally aim away from people's nuts, ding-dong, mouth, face, knuckles, neck, and ears. But these fruitcagers who don't wear full face only shows the above parts when playing. And lately I've given up on that. I shoot anything I see, outside the minimum engagement distance of course.

I used to think, gee what if I take someone's eye out, I'd feel bad for the rest of my life. You know what? Fruitcage it. If you wanna look cool and risk losing your eyes so be it.

Just so you know, I have a sansei mask, a bolle x800, a bolle x800 prescription adapter with lens tuned, a manly half face mask, and a balv. And I've been to around 12 games lifetime, and wore the sansei 12 times. The other gears I bought to look cool, but never got the guts to wear it. Prolly gonna sell them :/

I support the OP on this.

So... we're chairsofters because we're smart enough to don't unleash full-auto

agony upon people when we're closer than 10 meters?

Why the hell do you use fullauto mode at such close ranges anyway?

I've been shot in the face multiple times with a gun that is over the forum limits to say the least, I haven't got a single scar caused by a airsoftgun.

Falling on my face when I was a little kid though... :unsure: *counts scars*

But then again, I don't play the way you do.

EDIT : Also, I did try a fullface mask once.

But I wasn't able to aim properly... that's one of the reasons why I don't wear them.

Also, for cqb fps should be limited to 300 fps semi-fire when at ranges of 10 meters or less.

Edit #2: In Norway, You simply don't fire when you're at point blank.

We use a so called "bang-rule", the first one to say "bang!" get's the kill.

OK then, I'm gonna take a guess and say that electrowerkz is extremely short ranges...

There are alternatives to full face masks - what about decent goggles (protects the eyes), a good mouth guard (protects teeth) and a neoprene mask (prevents nasty welts), all the lower stuff can be covered by scrim / shemagh (so all the 'snobby' players still look the part)?

Just my 2 penneth worth.

:geek:

neoprene mask 

These are more than fine. I used one up until very recently and I only got shot in the nose hole, it protected my mouth everytime.

As for Electro the shortest engagement distance is about 6ft and that is very very common. IE it will happen to you. The largest distance is on the top floor which is about 20 meters.

HOWEVER, the average amount of BB's coming in you direction is 4 or 5 people shooting full auto. In a confined space this is a lot.

Pariah Wolf, I'm really disappointed by your stated reasons for not wearing full face, but as long as you know the risks to yourself and others and are not breaking the rules of the site you are playing at then as far as I'm concerned you can wear what you like. I've edited this post as the original would have dragged us into an off topic discussion that we could all do without.

Archived