My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

A speedo is a legal requirement.

As a rule, lots of guys who build rat-bikes tend to use those magnetic speedomabobs designed for pushbikes.

They're good for 100mph or more.

Now I never knew that.

I figured there may be some requirement for an odo.

The thing is, how do they check it's working? :D & more importantly, unlike worn tires, they would never know it ain't, as you are at a stop, when they pull you over.

Do they check it in an mot?

Stelth, I'm sure you are correct, any chance you could steer me in the direction of the relevant legislation? 'Cos I just know that when I bring this up down the pub, they'll all want to know the specifics. ;)

Greg.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a guy who's bike speedo went "10 20 30 .. .. .. FAST .. .. BANG!". He said it was MOT passable...

New rant... just renewed my car insurance, and suddenly every accident claims mofo wants me to sue over 2 non-injury accidents I had in Feb07 and Jun08. Best thing is, they dont call about both at the same time, I get seperate calls about each from each claim firm.

A polite lady from one last night explained that every time you renew insurance and mention ANY previous claims, your name does the rounds...

Bloody scumbags, selling personal details to each other.... <_<

I'm not very sure on this but don't they have access to a big computery system that links driving insurance claims together and the "no win, no fee" claims companies, against the rules, access this info to tout for business relying on people not complaining about it?

The insurance database exists to help prevent fraud and allow the police and other law enforcement agencies to quickly determine if vehicles hold legally required insurance. Amongst other things.

I don't know if anyone's illegally accessing the database, I'd hope not, but I'm certainly prepared to believe there are plenty of insurance companies willing to make a few extra quids by selling customer details and even details of people who've requested quotes.

A thoroughly deplorable practise which should be outlawed.

I remember a guy who's bike speedo went "10 20 30 .. .. .. FAST .. .. BANG!". He said it was MOT passable...

Just had a word with my local autority on this, (Scoot) & he also reckons it's a legal requirement but not checked during the mot.

Apparently the rolling road isn't fast enough to register on a cars speedo. Whatever that means.

Greg.

I don't know about your car, but the needle on mine moves at anything above standing still....

You'd think that it wouldn't be too hard to correctly verify that a speedometer is not only functional but correctly calibrated with the use of a calibrated "rolling road" set to turn the wheels at a given speed.

A new rant... stupid lager drinking **** bus passengers.

Some clever *rickroll* (emphasis on the *rickroll*) spills a can of some foul concoction on my bus, 2nd to last trip.

I decide to ignore it, finish my last run, get back to the depot no problems.

I'm a few mins early so wait outside the depot.

Got woken up by another colleague on his way home.

The problem is that I am VERY VERY VERY subsceptible to alcohol. Half a glass of lager and I am down for the count. Stupid as it may sound, I suspect the smell of the alcohol, mixed with relaxing after driving back to have made me drop off.

Credit cards, and banks in general.

My credit card, for some reason, won't accept a PayPal payment to WGC Shop, even though there is more than enough credit on the card for the payment. No explanation, PayPal just says "your card provider has refused this payment." Annoying. I need to pay for the order before leaving for a TA shooting weekend early on Friday morning, in order to get the 10% discount that is only valid until Friday. It's a little treat for myself, which I will be able to afford come the first workday in May when my TA pay and Annual Bounty come in.

Meanwhile, my bank account hovers around the overdraft limit and occasionally, a direct debit will put me over the limit, whereupon my bank refuse the payment and charge me £20 for the priviledge of doing so. Mostly, it's not a problem, but when it's a credit card bill (not the same card) THEY also charge me £20 for the payment problem. The worst part is that the last time this happened, the DD was for less than £15 and only put me £2.56 over the limit. So I get FORTY pounts of charges in total. That'll really help with my strained financial situation during this difficult time of unemployment. Thanks a lot.... <_<

Sorry to hear that Hedge, but perhaps it might be prudent ( if not fair or fun ) to postpone buying pieces of kit or any other non-essential items so that you can clear the overdraft and get a bit of money saved up in your account? I understand you've been out of work for a while ( or am I thinking of someone else? ), so its totally understandable that you're low on cash and having to use your overdraft and creditcard, but spending money you dont technically have will only bring the bailiffs a-knocking if the financial situation doesnt improve greatly in the near future. Now Im gonna run away because you're scary and will only rubbish my advice and pour scorn on me for offering it.... **runs and hides**

:P

£20 for a computer to automatically follow a protocol and bounce a payment? Yeah, that sounds totally legit. <_<

The whole global banking system is corrupt if you ask me.

Bring back bartering. ;)

I don't know about your car, but the needle on mine moves at anything above standing still....

You'd think that it wouldn't be too hard to correctly verify that a speedometer is not only functional but correctly calibrated with the use of a calibrated "rolling road" set to turn the wheels at a given speed.

Agreed but as he runs an mot center, I figured he'd know what he was talking about. :D

Greg.

I wasn't trying to say he's wrong, merely commenting that you'd think it would be something worth testing. After all, how do I know that my car's speedo is still accurate? :unsure:

And what's the point in legally requiring vehicles to have speedometers but then not using the legally required annual test to check that your legally required speedo is working properly?

Crazy UK laws.... <_<

Credit cards, and banks in general.

Me too.

A few weeks ago, I got a spate of calls, claiming to be my banks fraud department. Each time, as this was a recorded & unsolicited message, I hung up.

After the 3rd day, my credit card was mysteriously canceled.

I rang the bank & they said it was due to some irregular purchases. They sited the fact that they tried to call.

I told them that an automated message was hardly 'trying to call' & asked what the 'irregular purchases' were: Mot, service & 2 new tires, all from local suppliers & totaling less than £200! :mellow:

I was speechless.

But still had to wait 6 days for a new card.

Nice one. That whole process cost money. Probably quite a lot of money. For what? £200?

Christ, I spent more on whores in Amsterdam, during one night in March & they never canceled then! :o

Tossers. There is obviously something more to this, as that was no way an irregular purchase. My service & mot last year was over £400, from the same garage. What the heck is going on with these people????????

Greg.

Had the same thing from my credit card today, down to trying to buy stuff from Hong Kong last night. "A sports and riding supplies retailer" apparently. :rolleyes:

While I applaud the banks and credit card companies for trying to stop fraud, they do seem to hae a funny way of doing it. One of my other cards had several $75 transactions on it, apparently somehow I got subscribed to something in the States that I don't want or need - I phoned up, they said I had to phone the company billing my card and try to sort it out, blah, blah, blah. I said that I consider that to be their job, I say I didn't make these transactions, they go "Oh, right Sir, we'll get that sorted straight away and a new card is on its way to you". That's what I expect, that's what happened a few years ago when someone in Detroit bought a load of books on my credit card. But no, apparently not any more.

The point is, where was the stupid automated message from them saying someone was trying to use my card in the States? But when *I* try to use my card to buy something, not only do they refuse the transaction but then phone me at 0835 in the morning with a stupid computerised message about it. What happened to actual bank employees doing these things? I almost always hang up on computerised voices, but when it said it was from the card fraud thing, and knowing I'd had issues the day before, I let it do its thing....

Grrr.....

Had the same thing from my credit card today, down to trying to buy stuff from Hong Kong last night. "A sports and riding supplies retailer" apparently. :rolleyes:

While I applaud the banks and credit card companies for trying to stop fraud, they do seem to hae a funny way of doing it. One of my other cards had several $75 transactions on it, apparently somehow I got subscribed to something in the States that I don't want or need - I phoned up, they said I had to phone the company billing my card and try to sort it out, blah, blah, blah. I said that I consider that to be their job, I say I didn't make these transactions, they go "Oh, right Sir, we'll get that sorted straight away and a new card is on its way to you". That's what I expect, that's what happened a few years ago when someone in Detroit bought a load of books on my credit card. But no, apparently not any more.

The point is, where was the stupid automated message from them saying someone was trying to use my card in the States? But when *I* try to use my card to buy something, not only do they refuse the transaction but then phone me at 0835 in the morning with a stupid computerised message about it. What happened to actual bank employees doing these things? I almost always hang up on computerised voices, but when it said it was from the card fraud thing, and knowing I'd had issues the day before, I let it do its thing....

Grrr.....

Ironically, a few years back, a little worse the wear, in Amsterdam, I got a call from the credit card company asking me what my last transaction was & if I know where my card was. I was so stoned, I couldn't answer either of those questions. Lucky for me, they canceled the card as it was being used to buy things in Taiwan. I had in deed lost it! The card that is.

You see, in that case, an electronic message would have been no good at all. At least the person on the other end of the phone, could tell that I was monged & take appropriate action on my behalf. :D

So, Like you, I feel robbed. The bank has replaced a person with a machine, in order to maintain fat bonuses, instead of good service. :mellow:

Greg.

i had an actual person i think. What bank are you guys with? whats the account number and whats your mothers maiden name? ... you know, to compare :D

when my card got frauded, the lady was telling me the charges and asking if they where fraud. I honestly couldnt remember if they where mine or not! Besides the obvious £200 at HMV (not mine), she said some of the suspicious purchases where from airsoft retailers like fire support and i had to explain what i had bought and what it was for.

I was slightly annoyed that the show The Deadliest Warrior actually uses airsoft guns as much of it's weaponry, and even scenes of the guns shooting, most of the time it's just flash effect added on with a computer.

I took a double take when a SWAT officer was racking the bolt on his M4, and I saw a hop up wheel.

Yet another Guzzi rant...but this one isnt the bike's fault. Its mine.

I love GUNK. I love electronics. Those two, however, are not on speaking terms.

I started getting oil on the front of the Cali crankcase a couple of weeks back. Oh god, blown gasket, right? Got a gasket and just decided to look to see if the crankcase fume breather was blocked. The return that should go to the air filter... had come off. Right...

I put it back on, Jubilee clipped it like a mofo, GUNKed the site from orbit (its the only way to be sure) and washed the bike to get rid of the GUNK.

Its popping a bit so I decided to take it to work to warm it up and dry it out. It pops... a lot. And splutters. and BANGS. Ironically, on a day they decide to do some roadworks on my way to work, so I had to creep it past the line of cars while it sounded like a bad day in Bosnia.

Got home, took the alt cover off. Theres a gentle haze of water and GUNK in the alternator and all over the RPM sensor...

Hopefully it'll run right when I test it tomorrow.

Ironically, a few years back, a little worse the wear, in Amsterdam, I got a call from the credit card company asking me what my last transaction was & if I know where my card was. I was so stoned, I couldn't answer either of those questions. Lucky for me, they canceled the card as it was being used to buy things in Taiwan.

Maybe you were so stoned you attempted to do some shopping on KicBBGun?

Archived