My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

You're NOT an Englishman. You're British and you live in the UK. Get over it. <_<

If the Welsh can proudly proclaim that they are Welsh, and the Scottish can proudly call themselves Scotsmen, then I damn sure as hell will call myself an Englishman.

New bloody rant:

Anyone who associates English pride with nationalism and racism. It is NOT a bloody crime to be proud of your country. We cheer for England in the world cup. We cheer for England in the 5 Nations. But as soon as I call myself an Englishman I get shot down.

Bugger off!

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I *fruitcage* hate my stupid piece of *suitcase* modem. Or, rather, the stupid piece of *suitcase* modem that my parents got when they went with *fruitcage* AOL as their service provider. SUCK MY BALLS, SPEEDTOUCH, YOU'RE A *fruitcage* MODEM SO WHY THE *fruitcage* WON'T YOU STAY CONNECTED TO THE GODDAMN INTERNET LIKE YOU'RE GODDAMN WELL SUPPOSED TO!!

It just CANNOT handle downloads from Flashget, AT all, and when the modem resets itself, *fruitcage* AOL ends up assigning us a different IP address, so Rapidshare thinks my account is being shared, so I have to *fruitcage* e-mail them YET AGAIN to tell them that it's not, and they refuse to put some kind of marker on my account to say that it's my ISP, not me.

Ugh.

If the Welsh can proudly proclaim that they are Welsh, and the Scottish can proudly call themselves Scotsmen, then I damn sure as hell will call myself an Englishman.

New bloody rant:

Anyone who associates English pride with nationalism and racism. It is NOT a bloody crime to be proud of your country. We cheer for England in the world cup. We cheer for England in the 5 Nations. But as soon as I call myself an Englishman I get shot down.

Bugger off!

Pride in your country is pride in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. England hasn't been a country in over 300 years. Just because the so-called Welsh and Scottish are too stupid and stuck in the past to understand this is no excuse for you to do the same. <_<

Why the rest of the world is stupid enough to allow the UK to enter three or four teams in sporting events is beyond me. Only the Olympic Commitee seems to have realised the actual facts. Why not let Germany enter teams for the Rhineland and the Black Forest, France can have four or five teams, and the USA had better have at least fifty...

But if we're entering teams for countries that don't exist any more, I say we enter a team from the Holy Roman Empire, the Lost City of Atlantis and the Mongol Khanate while we're at it...

Stop living in the past.

England still is its own country. Wales is believe it or not still its own country. Thats why I am currently getting thick letters from there regarding this speeding fine because Im getting it in English AND Welsh.

Scotland is a devolved country.

Cornwall wishes it could be, hence why people have those white-on-black flag stickers with Kernow on them.

Look at any single source in the world and it will say England is a country, Wales is a country, Scotland is a country and Northern Ireland is a mess.

---

The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy and unitary state consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It is governed by a parliamentary system with its seat of government in London, the capital, but with three devolved national administrations of varying powers in Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh, the capitals of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland respectively. The Channel Island bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are Crown Dependencies, which means they are constitutionally tied to the British monarch but are not part of the UK.

I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents and consider myself Scottish.

I am proud to be a part of my country's heritage.

I served in the British army (proudly) and I married an English woman.

I think that it is a shame that English patriotism has become associated with racism but it has.

No one calls it racist

When the daffodil's worn in Wales

Or is offended by their dragon

With its forked tail and scales

When St Patrick’s day comes round

And the shamrock's being worn

The Irish are not treated

With insult or with scorn

If a Scotsman on St Andrew’s day

Hoists his flag aloft

He’s not proclaimed a fascist

Or ridiculed or scoffed

So when St George's Day arrives

We English men wont hide

For Elizabeth, England & St George

We’ll wear our Rose with pride

I'd like to think that the various facets of my personality define me, instead of the country I was born in, but there you go...

Actually...

The quality of your home life, your schooling and your health care do a LOT to define you. And the quality of those are directly influenced by your country of origin and where you spent your childhood.

For example, if you were born in Botswana, there is a 1 in 4 chance that your life would be at least partially defined by the AIDS virus. Thats a pretty harsh example, but what I am trying to say is that your personality is largely formed by your surroundings, and your surroundings are in England. Ergo, you ARE defined by your nationality.

I was going to say that I expect I'd be, for the most part, the same person I am now, had I been born in Los Angeles, or Paris, instead of London, but thats probably not true. I can see what you;re saying but ultimatly I think alot more things shape one's personality then thier schooling or health care. For the sake of argument, if I was to observe myself in a parralel universe, where my life has followed the exact same path as it has in this one, except I was born in another 1st world country and not Britain, I think I'd be more or less the same person.

I don't know to be honest.

When I lived in Canada, I noticed the personalities of the people around me were on first glance not too different but on closer inspection were strikingly different to those of the people I grew up with or hang around now. My friends from certain parts of eastern Europe will happily advise comitting certain crimes as an every day act of life which even I sometimes find surprising.

You'd be completely different if you were born and grew up in a different place - you'd have met different people instead of the people you met wherever you live; you'd have learned different things in the course of your education; you'd speak differently, think differently, act differently.

Nature versus nurture is not a new debate, and it's not going to be resolved here. But humans are not pea plants, you can determine very little about how a child will grow up before they do. Even how tall they end up is only partly determined by genetics and the rest is down to environmental factors.

Not me.

Unless you count Scottish people on the whole as Mongrels (Vikings, Irish, Picts, Doric, etc.).

My family goes back as far as we could trace on both sides all Scottish.

Mum's side all west coast types, dad's side all east coast types.

That marriage caused a bit of fuss amongst the older, bigoted members of the family (they haven't had much to talk about since my granddad Andrew's younger brother called his son Andrew and disrupted a 14 generation streak of calling the eldest son's eldest son Andrew).

My gran isn't happy that I married an English woman but I guess she can ###### off.

Well, the royal family is of German descent so I guess we're all effectively Germans these days. :blink:

Forums cookie to anybody who gets the obscure reference. ;)

Saxburg-Gotha. They changed their Surname name to Windsor during WWI as we were getting bombed by Gotha bombers at the time.

Hozat?

Bloody historians everywhere...

I loved that Timeteam special Tony Robinson did a while back, about the whole Royal line dating back centuries & discovered that the current 'real King of England' ( name of the show ) is living in Australia ( due to an illegitament child succeeding to the throne way back when ). Fascinating stuff...

Err....

if it were as simple as that, wouldnt everyone & anyone being trying to bump eachother off just to wear the crown? I guess royal bloodlines & linneage/ right of succesion doesnt mean anything then? Im not a big fan of the royal family and all that, but I respect its traditions and all that jazz- the point of the documentary was to point out that many centuries ago the then queen had an affair and produced an illegitemit child. If the other child hadnt died and succeeded the throne, then we'd have a whole different monarcy today.

if it were as simple as that, wouldnt everyone & anyone being trying to bump eachother off just to wear the crown?

Not a big student of history, I take it?

Bumping off people to take the crown was a BIG thing back in the day. Often dragging in a lot of other people along the way. The War of the Roses springs to mind, for one. Not to mention the Norman Conquest....

I could go on...

Archived