My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

How is it the fault of the IRS?

Or his mother?

I think Trigger may have been joking slightly there but nevertheless, if he had been paying his taxes he wouldn't've been under so much pressure when the time came to pay them all back.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit, I know it's not very PC but I can almost sympathise with him.

A lot of the people you have to talk to about this stuff are seriously smug, uncompromising, bolshie little knobs.

What's worse is that a lot of these little sh*tstains who weild the power to ruin your life are actually only spotty little oiks barely out of nappies who probably think "insolvency" means not having 50p for the bus that morning.

I have, on occasion, been known to kick a door or throw a telephone at the wall after unsuccesfully trying to communicate with them.

Obviously, there's no excuse for what he did but, in the same way we've decided the banks ARE actually responsible for buggering up the economy, I think it might be fair to pin some of the blame on the tax office IF they weren't trying to help him out.

I'm still not hearing anything that makes me believe there's anyone at fault but the guy. He wouldn't have been in such a financial hole if he hadn't been cheating on his taxes in the first place, after all.

Why should the tax office help him out of the situation that repeatedly commiting crime over a period of years got him into?

What they should have done was jailed him for tax evasion, then he wouldn't have been able to shoot people.

Of course, jailing people costs money, and people not paying taxes aren't helping the country's financial situation... :unsure:

Why should they help him out of the situation that repeatedly commiting crime over a period of years got him into?

What they should have done was jailed him for tax evasion, then he wouldn't have been able to shoot people.

Of course, jailing people costs money, and people not paying taxes aren't helping the country's financial situation... :unsure:

Surely the best way to deal with tax evasion, and similar sorts of offences, is to do something to get back some, or all, of the money if possible rather than imposing punitive measures which do nothing other than screw up a persons life?

In that situation, the difference between having somebody saying they want to organise a meeting to figure out what he can afford to pay back and having some jumped-up, self-important *beep* tell him "I'm sorry but if you can't pay we'll seize whatever assets we can" might have been the difference between him going nuts or not.

You don't seem to be getting the point that it's HIS FAULT he was in that situation in the first place, assuming that the report he was dodging taxes is correct. If he had been paying taxes incorrectly due to a mistake at thier end, then fair enough, but if he was deliberately avoiding paying taxes, then he should be tossed into a deep hole while everything he owns is seized to pay his outstanding debt AND the cost of his incarceration...

God, I hate this "blame someone else" culture, and I have only marginally more tolerance for the "let's be nice to criminals" idea...

My father got hit with a tax bill of £5000 (A few years ago), even though he thought he had been paying enough for the last 4 years (he got the bill in 2007). Long story short, it was to do with the company car. So any way, he got a lot of help after explaining his situation, they knocked off £1000, and said he could pay back the rest over a 2 year period (Which ended up being extended, by a year).

That of course, is just one example of a person being helped out when owing tax, and there may well be more people who have been screwed over. One thing that puzzles me, is why he murdered people he did not know (This is not justification for murdering people he did know)? I think that maybe he got a taste for it (I know that sounds obsured, but is there any other explanation?)

I'd venture that once you've started a bit of a spree killing - and presumably already planned to end with yourself - you just keep going until you run out of bullets, or targets, or both.

But then again, I don't know. Maybe he wanted to try to hide the motive? Although that doesn't make much sense since he killed himself too, so it's not like he was going to get away with anything. :unsure:

A lot of the people you have to talk to about this stuff are seriously smug, uncompromising, bolshie little knobs.

What's worse is that a lot of these little sh*tstains who weild the power to ruin your life are actually only spotty little oiks barely out of nappies who probably think "insolvency" means not having 50p for the bus that morning.

My bus fare currently stands at £3.60 a day.

Ben.

Last time I checked, the FBI don't work in the UK, so I don't give a toss what they consider a mass murder to be.

I think I made myself clear before. I consider it disrespectful to put such amateur loonies in the same category with true masterpieces of murderous insanity.

So one of them needs a new classification.

Well for the ones you mentioned, how about the perfectly adequate "genocidal *fruitcage*head"

Last time I checked, the FBI don't work in the UK, so I don't give a toss what they consider a mass murder to be.

I think I made myself clear before. I consider it disrespectful to put such amateur loonies in the same category with true masterpieces of murderous insanity.

So one of them needs a new classification.

Yeah, probably you. It was an example. Your definition is yours alone and out of step with the rest of the world.

Where do we set the level 1000 people, 10000 people, 100000 people? That's a bit *suitcase* if only 999, 9999 or 99999 people get killed right?

You know what the qualifier that lets you know how bad a particular mass murder was? Quite obviously what's referred to above, the number of people killed. We can see that the mass murder perpetrated by the Nazi's is many times worse than Derick Bird's quite easily on that yardstick. No need for handwringing.

However since this was a crime perpetrated by one man in a short span of time I'm not sure the two are immediately comparable anyway! Spree killing and mass murder both seem a perfectly adequate description of his crime.

well, lets look at the statistics, shall we? how many murders does the 'average' human commit? none (you could probably set the average at something stupid like 0.005%, but wheres the fun in that?). so by killing 12 people, thats a 1200% percent increase above the average murdering quota for a human.

Thats pretty much mass murder to me.

Then again, i dont give a flying *suitcase* either way. ;)

television has become absolute *suitcase*. im currently on exam leave, with no exams for a couple of weeks, and there is only so much studying you can do, so i end up on here alot, or watching TV. the current layout of programmes seem to be set in the american way.

3 mins of show

24389765 mins of ads,

10 min of show

24389765 mins of ads,

10 mins of show

1438976598725104 mins of ads,

last 30 seconds of show.

why, why why why why why, do i have to wait sooo long just to see the final 2 mins (1:30 of which is credits)? of my show?

Adverts are one of the reasons I only watch actual TV when I'm not able to get to my computer. It's much easier and there's more choice and no adverts if you just go and find the tv show you want on the intertubes and watch it there.

Bus fares truly are a rip.

I bought a scooter, and taxed and insured it for a year on what it would have cost me to use the bus for just under 3 months.

Where is the incentive to use public transport?

Also, my bank is a rip too.

I needed a statement, and didn't have a printer. They wanted to charge me £10 for printing one.

£10.

I could get an A4 photo done for less. They said it was a charge for duplicate statements, and even though I'm on paperless statements, it still stands.

After explaining that I've not had a paper statement for over a year as I hardly ever needed one, its not a duplicate, they looked blankly at me and said "but the computer says you've had one".

I thought "sod that", used my cheap scooter to go to my mums house, and used her printer.

And while I was there, I turned paper statements back on.

B******s to doing the right thing for the environment. There's too many surcharges.

I refuse to stop getting paper statements for just the reason you detail above - plus the bank doesn't even offer an incentive to do so.

Virgin Media offered me a couple of quid off my bill every month to stop getting paper bills, so I accepted.

My bank want to save money on sending me statements in the post, but offer me no part of that saving. So they can whistle for it, until they offer me something worth it to me than just a "good feeling" for saving some trees.

The bank is busy screwing me seven ways from sunday - but do they want to give even a pennies back to me? No.

Public transport - various people keep going on about cars, congestion, car parking, pollution, etc, etc, but the government can only seem to come up with negative ideas. Raise tax on fuel, raise road tax, raise parking fees, price cars off the road... It's ######.

Plus it's not possible. You can't price cars off the road. People need cars. Why? Because there's no viable alternative. Buses are unreliable and overpriced. Trains don't go where you want them, much less when.

I know several places that don't even HAVE a bus service anymore, because it was deemed "unprofitable" by the private companies running it. What if you live in one of these villages? How are you going to give up your car if it means you have to take a taxi into the nearest town every time you want to go anywhere?

Public transport should be just that - public. You can't run a *service* and worry about profit margins. How about some positive ideas from the government or local councils? Subsidise public transport, run more buses on more routes, 24 hours a day, etc...

Bus fares truly are a rip.

I bought a scooter, and taxed and insured it for a year on what it would have cost me to use the bus for just under 3 months.

Where is the incentive to use public transport?

We keep having to put fares up because people like you keep buying scooters :P

---

The people they give free bus passes to now is ridiculous. You have a drug problem? Free pass. Alcoholic? Free pass. Walk with a slight limp every tuesday if its raining? Free pass.

I've seen people sprint to the bus, then show a disabled pass...

Another personal gripe.

The local Co-Op being stingy with carrier bags. They say it's because of the environment, but we all know it's a money-saver. Probably also a ploy to make everyone buy their re-usable bags.

You check through a load of stuff, and they make you pay etc. before asking 'oh, did you want a bag'?

You then get handed one bag.

To add to their rudeness, they start checking the next customer's stuff before you've even finished playing Tetris with your goods to try and fit them in this one bag. Asking for another makes you feel like some kind of anti-environment terrorist.

So now when they say 'do you have a Nectar card?' or whatever the one in the Co-Op is, I always say 'no, but I'll take two carrier bags please'.

Ben.

If only they'd make keyboards waterproof.

Try drying it out for a couple of days. If that doesn't work, maybe taking it apart and cleaning it might help.

On the other hand, keyboards aren't that expensive, so just getting a new one would probably be easier.

Archived