My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Have already washed and put it in a nice warm place. Hopefully it will start working within the next couple of days. :)

If it doesn't I guess I'll have to upgrade and get a Saitek, Logitech G15 or something else.

It's a standard IBM keyboard, but it has a very nice feel to it when compared to the Logitech one I'm using right now. It's also not being made anymore(I think) and then we have the fact that is has helped me pwn countless noobs. ;)

Anyway, I also think they should make keyboards waterproof, but then I guess that they won't be cheap anymore.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, or use other bags altogether. I definitely accept that people get caught out and might need a bag but I don't think we should be counting on the convenience of essentially disposable plastics anymore, we understand the issues much better now.

So now when they say 'do you have a Nectar card?' or whatever the one in the Co-Op is, I always say 'no, but I'll take two carrier bags please'.

Fantastic that you stood up for justice and rallied against the tyranny of the CO-OP. MLK aint got *suitcase* on you.

The point Ben is that if you didn't use plastic bags they wouldn't clog up landfill and the resources they took to make could be used more usefully. Several places globally have actually banned carrier bags. There is no real need for them beyond slack convenience.

Whether or not something gets recycled has a lot more to do with where you throw it away than anything else.

Hedganian - It's not cynicism. He's trolling poorly.

Ben - If you've "heard something" and it sounds *fruitcage* stupid go and do a bit of research rather than believing it. :)

Take a backpack to the shop.

Its significantly less likely to shed your shopping halfway home due to being made of little more than clingfilm.

And it leaves your hands free for other stuff, be it texting, using an iPod, or wielding brass knuckles and nunchucks to fight your way through the masses of chavs that seem to be everywhere. ;)

http://www.aws.gov.uk/Services/Recycling/

Do you reckon this means that only 22% of the recycling you put out actually gets recycled, or all the waste you put out?

At present, our recycling bins are around twice the capacity of our refuse bins. If they're only recycling 22% of all the stuff that goes in the recycling bin, then meh.

Ben.

Yeah, so let's just give up. Not bother recycling anything, because obviously 0% is better than 22%, isn't it? <_<

:rolleyes:

The problem is mostly the capitalist viewpoint on recycling - the same as on public transport. You can't really run a good service if you're only concerned about the bottom line. There are whole warehouses full of stuff waiting to be shipped off to be recycled, but it's not profitable so it won't be done.... :waggle:

http://www.aws.gov.uk/Services/Recycling/

Do you reckon this means that only 22% of the recycling you put out actually gets recycled, or all the waste you put out?

It says:

"At present we are recycling an average of 22% of household waste across Adur and Worthing."

So 22% of the waste collected from households in the region gets recycled. That is probably a combination of waste that is not recyclable and because people don't put it out for recycling, instead chucking it in the normal bin. As the sentence following says they are trying to increase that amount that gets recycled.

At present, our recycling bins are around twice the capacity of our refuse bins. If they're only recycling 22% of all the stuff that goes in the recycling bin, then meh.

That is obviously not the case, see above. Also the larger bins are only available on request and generally recycling is collected less often than normal waste. In your example the standard sized bins are 140 litres for both recycling and normal waste but the normal waste is collected twice as often:

http://www.aws.gov.uk/Services/Refuse/

There are two things that up the amount of recycling that can be done. Buy more recyclable goods and taking the time to actually put the right things in the right bin.

The problem is mostly the capitalist viewpoint on recycling - the same as on public transport. You can't really run a good service if you're only concerned about the bottom line. There are whole warehouses full of stuff waiting to be shipped off to be recycled, but it's not profitable so it won't be done.... :waggle:

This isn't so much an issue as long as it's kept stored and recycled when it becomes economically viable to do so (e.g. via economies of scale or technological advancement).

Yeah, but where are you going to put so much stuff? Soon it becomes uneconomical to store it, too. Then what?

I guess eventually there will be no choice but to recycle. Like after the oil's run out and we can't just make more plastic. But it seems stupid and wasteful to wait that long.

But I guess people will always focus on the bottom line.

I'm not one to suggest some sort of communist utopia, but things have gone way too far the other way.

Yeah, but where are you going to put so much stuff? Soon it becomes uneconomical to store it, too. Then what?

I guess eventually there will be no choice but to recycle. Like after the oil's run out and we can't just make more plastic. But it seems stupid and wasteful to wait that long.

But I guess people will always focus on the bottom line.

I'm not one to suggest some sort of communist utopia, but things have gone way too far the other way.

The issue is and always has been of late short-term profit consideration at the expense of a good long-term outlook. So I pretty much agree with what you've written. Just to add though:

Any economic calculation of value has to include the on-going storage cost. It could sit next to economies of scale and technological advance as a factor that would make recycling economically viable. Land fill is a form of storage, just the cheapest and crappiest form we have come up with too date. The economic calculation of land fill versus some other method of storage has to include both the cost to the environment and the loss of resources due to rot. Likewise we also need to consider the raw resources that the material to be recycled was made from, often these can be used to create something else that otherwise could not be made through recycling (for a variety of reasons) which could offer greater value.

The planet has finite resources and eventually we may resort to digging up old landfill. Let's just hope it's still in a modern society rather than to find bits of metal to work into tools whilst we wonder why people working there get so sick. :D

FWIW, I do take my recycling pretty seriously and the one thing that gives me the hump is companies who still overlook basic recycling issues.

Stuff like your average Tesco sandwich. Cardboard box with a cellophane panel in the side so you can see the lovely sandwich inside.

Terrific except that, if you want to recycle it you've got to dismantle the box and remove the cellophane or the cardboard portion won't get recycled.

It'd be nice if companies started to make their packaging out of one material or another.

I know most avid recyclers WILL take the time to rip packaging apart and seperate out the plastic etc but it'd make it much more of a no-brainer for the rest of us if the companies made it easier.

In other news, I think I read somewhere that a landfill 10 miles square would be large enough to absorb all the projected waste of the USA for the next century so, frankly, it's really not that big a deal.

Obviously, it'd be nice if we got our sh*t together and started trying to reduce the amount of waste we generate but it seems the planet isn't about to drown under a pile of refuse as some environmentalists would have us believe.

When I go to Tamimi markets, Carrefour or Panda which are big supermarkets round here, I will often be given a plastic bag for every 1 or 2 items. They rarely let you pack your own bags as there is a Bangladeshi guy stood there to do it for you. Recycling is looked on with scorn and disgust by the local inhabitants and so is trying to seperate waste streams. They can't see the point. They don't understand the point. The local government has tried on several occasions to promote recycling but it has always been ignored.

Seems any effort you put into trying to be green in the UK is completely blown out of the water when you look at places like this where it is considered perfectly acceptable to empty an entire rubbish bag out onto the highway whilst driving in your big 6 litre V8 car and where you will be given a plastic carrier bag when you buy a packet of chewing gum.

Azubi - Like Hedganian said on the previous page just because some people seem intent on *fruitcage* the world over due to lack of outlook doesn't mean everyone else should. ;)

Stealth - I don't think anyones seriously said we're going to be drowning in refuse on this thread. I'm not sure where you got the 10 mile thing though. The only website that I can see that references that is the god awful "EcoWorld".

I know. I was just, y'know, raising the point.

Great!

In terms of space the issue isn't so much that there isn't space but finding somewhere people are willing to let one be placed. The USA probably has the fewest problems with that because it has a large per capita land mass. Other countries with denser populations and stricter environmental regulations do actually have issues developing new landfill sites. So whilst it doesn't sound "that big a deal" it's more complex than that one figure actually suggests.

Archived