My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stand by what I said, the use of the word "gay" to mean anything generally rubbish is utterly retarded and fairly offensive.

The worst thing is that it was popularised by Southpark as a means to portray the characters as ignorant, bigoted and stupid but it seems most people just don't get that part.

Yup, we used to call people "poof" at school before I even understood the concept of homosexuality.

The problem is, kids are *albartrotheth*.

There's no excuse for an adult to be doing it.

Linguistic inertia is one thing I suppose "I've always said it" even I sometimes find myself cursing by shouting "Jesus Christ" when I am an atheist, trying to do it less though...

The other thing is the South Park thing where it is to identify a character as a bigot.

Also worked for other words or behaviour in Blazing Saddles and Ali G.

Ignorant people didn't see the point of those either.

Gay = happy, colourful. I find the use of the word 'gay' to describe homosexuals highly offensive- its been hijacked by homosexy people, and now its been highjacked by unpleasant people to insult other people and things :unsure::P . Language evolves, as do meanings and definititions, though the oxford english dictionary people might disagree a bit..

That reminds me, must watch countdown & Rachel Riley's *albartroth* more often; rather nice.... :D

The worst thing is that it was popularised by Southpark as a means to portray the characters as ignorant, bigoted and stupid but it seems most people just don't get that part.

They also satirise the exact issue being discussed when the boys call bikers Fags. This leads to a whole load of commotion when the parents assume they are being anti-gay for spray painting "fags go home" on the side of buildings when in reality they mean inconsiderate douchebag.

Big-bang R1s. What an utterly obnoxious noise.

A pic to demonstrate...:

2230442300_57212e711a_b.jpg

Most 4 cylinder machines use the standard firing pattern. Big-bang Yamaha R1s use the big-bang principle. It is intended to replicate a V-twin pattern. This increases torque, and leaves longer dead zones in the torque rotation allowing the tyre more recovery time to find grip.

What it doesnt do, however, is sound like a V-twin. 2 little pepper-pot 250cc cylinders sound more like a 2-stroke with a throat infection, or a 4-stroke with a cracked exhaust.

Its bloody awful!

I once test-rode a 1985 Yamaha RXS100N with no muffler on it. That sound was ringing in my ears for hours afterwards. People 200yds away were covering their ears!

---

Another rant - bank balance paranoia.

I KNOW I'm fine. I have had a few what I call 'yearly hits' and 'occasional hits' on it recently - bike insurance, new tyres for the entire fleet (Haotian - £120, Cali - £220, Griso - £240) and so on. But yet Im paranoid that my balance is lower than it was 8 months ago. Of course it will be...and it will recover. I know this. I also know Im putting £1200 a year into an ISA intentionally so it is out of easy reach.

But still, I see it and panic. There's no reason to... and thats what annoys me more.

The noisiest bike I ever had was a BSA B25. It had a straight through Burgess silencer on it. One day when I was out riding, it fell off. I didn't notice. There was no change in the sound level.

Bank balances. Yup, I'm no different. If I paid for something using my Debit card, I'm on the internet checking my balance (sometimes more than once a day) just to make sure that it went through OK and to see what I had left.

I enjoy going out for a ride with my mate on his R1.

It's something of a running joke that I always try to start me Duc' first cos then nobody else can tell if their bike is running or not. :D

To be fair, his R1 (dunno if if it is a big-bang jobbie) howls very impressively at higher revs (it's been tuned for around 200bhp) but at idle it sounds like a strimmer.

Archived