My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current peev

I'm watching the England vs. Algeria match, half against my wishes - why the hell is football so bloody popular? 22 blokes who can kick a ball around a field - whoopee? Why do people go mad for this? Why am I forced to watch newsreaders making stupid jokes about it, or making inane stories vaguely connected to the World Cup? Why is every other sodding ad retardedly related to football? The only time I've gotten maybe a little excited was wondering why the hell some Algerian managed to get away with practically elbowing Heskey in the face. Seriously, the whole country has gone berzerk...for this? I almost feel like I ought to be getting excited out of patriotic pride, but for crying out loud, I'm a lot more proud of not being some sheep who actually has the ability to think for myself and enjoy watching sports that involve a lot more skill and are a lot more exciting to watch.

Like watching paint dry.

I enjoy watching soccer.

Not when the GODDAMN *fruitcage* RETARDED ANNOYING AS *suitcase* Vuvuzela VUVUZELA'S ARE BUZZING EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN *fruitcage*IN SECOND

Vuvuzela.jpg

Who the hell had the idea to sell these to soccer fans?

I don't see how the players don't go insane having the buzzing sounds every second while playing.

Look, you guys are going to have too accept that "football" is also called soccer.

The Americans did not invent the word soccer, we did.

There are loads of different types of football. Gaelic football, gridiron football (also called American football), even rugby is an abbreviation of rugby football.

Over the years there have been many different rules and types of football.

The type of football played in the world cup has its rules set by the FA which stands for Football Association.

When they first started their league in which teams played by their rules there were still lots of other forms of football being played, to differentiate between them all the football played by the FA teams was referred to as Association Football.

Association Football was soon abbreviated to Soccer for convenience.

Our game, our word.

Doesn't matter whose word it is, it's still a silly name for a game that already has the perfect name, whilst hijacking the name for something it doesn't fit, as illustrated beautifully by Mr Cleese. The Americans ought to rename it "Get-paid-millions-for-playing-five-minutes-and-never-touch-the-ball".

ParcelFarce/Customs. They're annoying. I've got a box with some magazines and a bipod incoming from Redwolf HK. According to the online tracking, it's been "awaiting Customs Charging" since the 16th. I don't understand the delay, and of course it's all but impossible to find out.

Contrast with the last import actually containing an AEG and 6 GBB pistols from a few months ago, that spent all of 5 minutes with Customs before heading onwards. So why is a small order of unrestricted items (not RIFs, not harmful) taking so long??? :blink:

Perhaps it's down to some thought process along the lines of now that airsofters are under HMRC scrutiny even more, everything is going to be as 'kosher' as possible, ie invoice supplied with correct goods value and VCRA exemption proof. When it comes to random 'knock off' products where you can ask the retailer to diddle the invoice values, they want to make sure they can tax your items appropriately, incurring 'chase up' time.

Failing that, perhaps the computer monkey hasn't updated the record on your item yet.

It's just odd that a $1000+ box of RIFs and replica grenades and things sailed through in minutes but a much less valuable box of plastic magazines is still there after 72 hours...

I have no idea how Customs would go about verifying the values given on the invoice, but I always tell retailers to quote 100% of the value, it's not worth the risk of trying to get away with less, in my opinion.

Probably is just a computer problem...

Now I'm really ###### off, because it looks like my MP3 player is dead after being dropped accidentally. The recovery mode just says "Hard Drive Fault" (Very helpful, thanks... <_< ) and it just won't work. Can't even format it.

I can only find one more on eBay, currently at £70. Annoying.

It's a HDD one, the thin version of the Creative Zen Vision:M 60Gb. They have 1.8-inch hard drives in them, and were probably the best MP3 players ever made by Creative. It's even more annoying because I've got the extremely hard to find docking station/speakers for it as well, and they are not compatible with the newer Creative players.

Where should I look for repair services, do you think?

The firmware seems to be okay - at least it will boot up okay but then just hangs. It will boot into the "Recovery Mode" but won't do anything, if I tell it to format itself, it just says "Hard Drive Fault" - which isn't very helpful, but better than nothing, I guess...

I suspect that falling onto my concreate drive somehow damaged the heads inside the hard drive, or broke a connection somewhere inside, but I'm just guessing - it could be the little motherboard inside that is broken, for all I know. I can't see any obvious way to open it up to look inside, not that I'd have much idea what to look for even if I did.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2006/02/how-to-disassemble-the-creative-zen-vision-m.php

Getting to the hdd doesn't look too tricky. If you can find a replacement disk swapping them shouldn't be too bad. There is a link to a forum at the bottom of that site that seems to have a list of drives known to work.

Good luck

Any 1.8" hdd should fit really. You may be able to upgrade the battery too while you're at it. I used to have an iPod Mini because it was so easy to take apart and upgrade. It started with a 4gb magnetic hdd and a 600mah battery and by the time I sold it it had a 32gb compact flash card, a 1500mah battery and a different colour backlight. On top of that it was indestructible because they're basically just little blocks of aluminium.

Yeah, I don't want to get an iPod because of the whole iTunes thing and DRM and things like that. This Creative one doesn't use any silly formats or anything, you can just put any MP3 or WMA files on it - however you got them - and they work fine.

I found a place in Birmingham that does repairs and refurbs, so am waiting for a quote now. Might be better to let the experts deal with it...

Archived