My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I misjudged a corner today, going about 35mph, the front wheel hit the curb and managed to flip my car onto its side, writing it off (it had like no resale value anyway so its not like the biggest loss ever), you'll be glad to know that I walked away with only a bloodied arm. Hairy stuff. I suppose my rant in this case is a rant about me and my ###### poor judgement :/

I misjudged a corner today, going about 35mph, the front wheel hit the curb and managed to flip my car onto its side, writing it off (it had like no resale value anyway so its not like the biggest loss ever), you'll be glad to know that I walked away with only a bloodied arm. Hairy stuff. I suppose my rant in this case is a rant about me and my ###### poor judgement :/

Ouch!

Surely you got some pictures though? :D

hahah I was contemplating it but after getting breathalyzed etc etc I thought maybe not. The scene looked way worse then what happeneded, there where loads of police about afterwards, and this car on its side leaking oil, when the accident happened it was just like a bump, then "whoops, think I'm gonna hit this hedge" then bang it just topples over. I'm pretty embarrased cause as said my brother was in the car aswell, but at the same time I'm glad it was due to me not getting this corner properly rather then like bombing it along at 70mph or whatever.

I'm glad it was due to me not getting this corner properly rather then like bombing it along at 70mph or whatever.

My brother did exactly that about 2 weeks ago, luckily all that happened was a cracked and dented wheel and a shredded tyre. Could've been much worse.

Apparently, the FBI is convinced that the United Kingdom is not a nation/country/state that one can be born in or have citizenship from. Apparently, one can be a citizen of England, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland. According to the FBI. And we wonder why we cannot find Osama and how the 9/11 hijackers slipped through the cracks.

:mellow:

I am *SO* sick of this England/Scotland/Wales ######.

The Act of Union was signed in 1707. That's over THREE HUNDRED YEARS. There wasn't even a USA to be concerned about it back then.

And yet we *STILL* have entire bunches of people who just cannot get the simple fact that they are BRITISH and live in the UK through their thick skulls.... <_<

And if the people who live here can't get it right, what hope have the rest of the world got?

I'm pretty sure if you ask someone who's from, say, Dallas, where they're from, they'll say Texas. Same as if you ask someone who's from Queens, they'll say New York. Ask me where I'm from, I'll say England. Ask my mum, Northern Ireland. It's a union of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, much in the same way that it's the United States of America, not just America. Admittedly, they weren't all individual countries when they joined their union (though I'm pretty sure some thought of themselves as such...), but we're still a Union of Great Britain, ie. three different countries in a single union. Known as Great Britain as a whole, but it's still 3 countries as one. Like the Holy Trinity (plus Ireland :P)

I can understand that someone might want to be thought of as Welsh or Scottish or Irish or English before being British, just the same as I can understand how someone might want to be thought of as a Virginian or Texan before being American. But a government organization tasked with investigation and staffed primarily by individuals with Juris Doctor degrees should, I think, know that anyone who is a British citizen is going to be a citizen of either the Republic of Ireland or of the UK (and anyone saying that they're from the Republic of Ireland would simply call themselves Irish).

@Kyrian: Actually, the original plan was for each colony to become its own sovereign country, it's own state. Hence the term 'United States'. Even after the dissolution of the Articles of Confederacy and the ratification of the Constitution, it was not uncommon for someone to think of themselves as being a Virginian or a New Yorker, rather than an American. (This lasted until the Civil War, with the rather famous change in terminology from the United States being a plural to a singular term.) 'United Nations' is very nearly a synonym. Indeed, the very name 'United States of America' could be derived directly from the name 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland'. Although, according to Wikipedia, that would be factually incorrect as, apparently, the Union created in 1707 was the 'Kingdom of Great Britian'. The UK did not become the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland until 1800. In any case, the terms United Kingdom and United States (and United Nations and United Emirates) are all closely linked terms.

Not many British citizens will be citizens of the Republic of Ireland, being as that is a different country. Those are Irish citizens... British citizens belong to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the name was changed in 1921 after the Partition of Ireland).

Not many British citizens will be citizens of the Republic of Ireland, being as that is a different country. Those are Irish citizens... British citizens belong to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the name was changed in 1921 after the Partition of Ireland).

True. I suppose that someone from the Republic of Ireland has as much right to call themselves a British citizen as someone from the United States of Mexico has to call themselves an American citizen. The more correct terminology would be that they are citizens of a British or American nation, I reckon.

British citizens are from the UK. People from Eire are not British citizens. It's as simple as that. Eire is physically part of the British Isles, but that's not the same thing.

But we might as well break up the damn union, since most people don't seem to think it's worth anything. If the people in Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland want to go their own way, let 'em. When they realise that most of their so-called nation's money used to come across the border from England, and now they're on their own, they'd maybe think again about independance... Meanwhile those of us in England would be better off, not having to prop up the malcontented money-pits that refuse to even accept that they're part of the same country.

No, I don't think you really understand.

Great Britain

Ireland

The vast Majority of people from Ireland do NOT consider themselves British and if you were to tell certain Irishmen they were British you might find yourself on the wrong end of a shoeing. Irish Protestants and other loyalist groups DO consider themselves British, but we must remember these groups are descended from immigrants from Britain.

For a person born on Ireland to say they are British is technically totally wrong, however Northern Irish ARE British citizens. See the diference.

Of course, once again, to tell certain Northern Irishmen that they are not British would be an unwise move.

I'm very impressed that you managed to *ROLL* a car doing a paltry 35mph.... :blink:

I managed to roll a Landie several years ago while doing about 20mph.

I was in the middle of a row of cars trundling along a B-road in icy weather.

The cars in front all went around a bend and I just slithered off the side of the road and tipped it over in a ditch.

Worst part was, a farmer showed up with a forklift truck and pushed it back onto it's wheels.

Upon inspection, it needed a new passenger window, door handle and wing mirror and it would have been fine except that the fork-trucked punched a hole in the roof and buckled all the panels on the drivers side while trying to flip it back onto the wheels. :(

Apparently, the FBI is convinced that the United Kingdom is not a nation/country/state that one can be born in or have citizenship from. Apparently, one can be a citizen of England, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland. According to the FBI. And we wonder why we cannot find Osama and how the 9/11 hijackers slipped through the cracks.

:mellow:

Anybody have a passport that says "English", "Welsh", or "Scottish" on it?

Thought not.

S'funny really, for a forum so into military stuff we seem to miss out on a lot of the finer points of military etiquette.

Easiest way to get into a fight in with squaddies is to start going on about how you're "english" or "scottish" or whatever. :D

*EDIT*

Worth pointing out, for added clarification, that the correct name for our ickle island nation is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" so "United Kingdom" or "Britain" is simply an abbreviation in the same way a yank might say they are from the "United States" or "America".

No, I don't think you really understand.

Great Britain

Ireland

The vast Majority of people from Ireland do NOT consider themselves British and if you were to tell certain Irishmen they were British you might find yourself on the wrong end of a shoeing. Irish Protestants and other loyalist groups DO consider themselves British, but we must remember these groups are descended from immigrants from Britain.

For a person born on Ireland to say they are British is technically totally wrong, however Northern Irish ARE British citizens. See the diference.

Of course, once again, to tell certain Northern Irishmen that they are not British would be an unwise move.

"I'm confused. No, wait... I think you're confused."

-Dr. Simon Tam

Am I not communicating effectively?

Did I not say that Hedge was correct when he pointed out that Irish citizens are not British citizens? Did my comparison of an Irish citizen calling themselves British on account of geographical location (the British Isles) with a Mexican citizen calling themselves American on account of geographical location (the Americas) really make what I said that much murkier?

Did my comparison of an Irish citizen calling themselves British on account of geographical location (the British Isles) with a Mexican citizen calling themselves American on account of geographical location (the Americas) really make what I said that much murkier?

Erm, I think it might, actually.

I understand what you're saying, that a mexican has as much right to call themselves "american" as a US citizen, but, in practical terms, are they ever likely to?

Surely that'd be a bit like a Nigerian or a Kenyan refering to themselves as an "african"?

In any case, that situation doesn't really transpose across to the UK because, although they share the same lumps of land, the Irish republic isn't part of the British Isles.

An Irish citizen would no more call themselves British than an Italian would call himself Spanish.

Of course, by "Irish" citizen we're talking about people who live in Southern Ireland. Northern Ireland IS part of the UK and, as such, the citizens ARE British (whether they like it or not).

Again with the whole "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" thing.

It's really not that confusing. :)

Yesterday, I was mostly hating the Moto GP.

Bloody traffic was horrendous because of the bikes, and they didn't even get caught up in it.

Roundabouts barely made for 2 cars to go abreast simply cannot be taken safely when there's a constant stream of bikes between them, thus backing up all the traffic that isn't a bike and doubling my journey to and from site.

I'll probably get a light touch of the old internet flamethrower for this, but I really wanted to hang out the car window with a screwdriver and start gouging the pretty paintwork off anything that moved.

Ironic how the one beefing on about the Union is the one with a manx flag in his profile.

If we want to get technical, I'm 1/4 Scot, 1/4 Lithuanian and 1/2 English. I still consider myself an Englishman. Deal with :P

Although in motor racing events at least, the Northern Irish have their own flag represented on the podium (ala Colin Turkington, Eddie Scumbag Irvine). I remember when Irvine got his first podium, they put up an ROI flag by mistake. They corrected it the next time...and put up a Union flag :P

Does NI have its own olympic team? I dont know.

---

Stealth - technically, the ROI people are Britons, but are not British. They lived on the land which the romans called Britannia but they are not subjects of Britain.

Clear as mud?

I'm fairly certain that the land the Romans called Britannia was the largest island (Great Britain) in the British Isles - which now contains England, Scotland and Wales. The second largest island, now called Ireland and divided between Eire (the Republic of Ireland) and Northern Ireland (part of the UK) was called Hibernia by the Romans, but largely ignored - the Romans never settled there.

I'm nto sure of the irony of my displaying a Manx flag, which is a family heritage thing and in no way related to my nationality. Although I'd much prefer to be Manx than British, given recent treatment of the island by the UK, I'm ashamed to be part of it at the moment. At least all the Manx people know their own national identity. <_<

Archived