My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, why are we talking about being fat?

Just watching the mitchell and webb look, and its a bit pants. :unsure:<_<

Yeah its not amazing, - David Mitchell (who I consider a personal freind, as I saw him once in oxford train station, reading a book) is a very witty guy on panel shows and whatever, and peep show is one of the best sitcoms in recent years - but somehow this doesn't translate to thier other show. I suppose peep show is written by those 2 chaps (bain, armstrong? I dunno) but yeah. Shame.

Yeah it's not amazing, - David Mitchell (whom I consider a personal freind, as I saw him once in oxford train station, reading a book) is a very witty guy on panel shows and whatever, and peep show is one of the best sitcoms in recent years - but somehow this doesn't translate to thier other show. I suppose peep show is written by those 2 chaps (bain, armstrong? I dunno) but yeah. Shame.

*pew* *pew*

You picked up who/whom, but not "freind"...?? :huh:

It was a reference to a sketch on said programme, in which a person shoots people for making mistakes relating to grammer, pronunciation, given that the sketch was in spoken word, spelling doesn't matter ;) Pretty good send up of the ridiculous grammar nazis on the internet really.

Most horse riders are fat, dumpy women who enjoy getting dressed up in all the gear and trotting round on a horse.

However, these people seem to be retards with no idea how to plan a riding route so it doesn't intersect with a main road.

Ben.

You've met my last X then? :D

Greg.

No, not unprovoked, you just don't know what the provocation was. The fact that it was not intentional also goes a long way to your thinking, but more on this later. Most dogs like to chase things, it's a genetic imperitive. I don't know why, but they do. Both the dogs I've had are the same - ball, frisbee, me, whatever. Out of interest, how did the Alsatian take you off the bike? knock you off or bite and drag? After you were off the bike, did the dog do anything else? If nothing else happened then there's a good chance that the dog just wanted to play. I kid you not. The other alternative is that you and the bike between you may have frightened the the dog, causing a fight or flight response, the dog going down the fight route for whatever reason. But both of these then follow on to the next point.

Nothing you've posted there gives a logical reason for you to change your mind. The owner was, or at least by the way you've written this, the main problem. 1 - dog not under control 2 - total lack of curtosey. At the very least a "I'm sorry, are you OK"? I think I'm on pretty safe ground in guessing that they didn't discipline the dog in any way shape or form did they? The problem is the owner. For many dog owners, they're just furry kids, but at the same time, they won't treat them like kids and try to teach them discipline or how to behave in public? Ye Gods, at the very least they should have given you insurance details.

My dogs have been insured, (my current one is insured), and third party claims like this are covered. Would I give a *suitcase* that my insurance company are going to buy you a new bike? Am I bothered in the slightest that they're going to have to cough up maybe another grand or two to compensate you for your injury? No - that's one of the things I pay them for, and if me trying to help you puts them in a harder position - TOUGH. You get helped, they get the bill.

If you have a problem with the way a dog behaves and blame the dog, you're still looking at the wrong end of the lead.

This is just ranting, no animal deserves "capital retaliation, no matter what the circumstances". I can think of a few situations where the (in this argument), dog deserves quite the opposite. You threaten a dog, what do you expect? Attack a dogs owner, you think it'll stand by and do nothing? If you did the same to a person, what would happen?

In cases where there have been "unprovoked" attacks what you often find later once the media furore has died down is that the dogs were mistreated before hand, either by the owner or by a person/people that were in regular contact with it. Sometimes, as with you, the person attacked doesn't know what they've done to trigger the attack, but apart from the minority occasion, like people where the dog just has a head full of bad wiring, it's generally the owners that have put the dog into the position in the first plae, and it's the owners, not the dog that should carry the can.

In that, I agree with you, dog owners MUST keep their dogs under control in public, either by voice command, whistle or properly fitted lead and harness.

I will & have on many occasions defended myself form physical attack. This includes dogs. I will continue to use appropriate force to do so.

As said, once upon a time I did not retaliate physically toward an attacking dog, even after or during actual physical contact such as mauling. However, I now know better & will meet a K9 attacker with the appropriate physical response. If this means killing the animal, so be it. If an owner is not responsible enough to prevent such a situation from arising, I have no sympathy for them.

Re that specific attack, I was riding along a high street in traffic at about 10mph. I think you are right in your assumption that the dog must have chased (unbeknowest to me) as it attacked from behind striking & malling my calf & lower leg. This caused me to fall off the bike. It then moved to strike at my face. I instinctively put my arm up & it bit & mauled that. I then managed to kick it off & as I got to my feet, it ran back to the owner, who greeted it as if it was returning with a stick or a ball he had just thrown. Dripping with blood & wearing ripped cloths, I innocently asked the owner what had happened & he simply said 'he does that sometimes' & walked off! I wasn't really in the frame of mind (or physical condition) to pursue the situation. I was a long way from home, with a broken bike, severely shaken & in obvious need of urgent medical attention: Stitches & plaster. :o

In retrospect, I know all owners are not the same, no two people are. However, the dog would not be able to do this to anyone else, had I taken very simple steps, to maim or kill it, during my defense of it's attack.

I would love to talk details of my reasoning. I'm sure that with more information you would understand (if not agree with :) ) my point of view. I'm not really sure there is enough room on Arnies server? :D

In short, I am not a dog hater. I believe in protecting myself & preventing the ongoing threat from a dog, which is allowed to attack people. You are obviously a loving, caring & responsible dog owner. My reasoning & ethos toward dog attacks just doesn't apply to an owner such as you. ;)

Greg.

Because being fat and unfit is a bad thing, and this is tha thread full of bad things that annoy people...? :unsure:

Why do we (as a society) see being fat & unfit as a bad thing?

Ok, you ain't going to win the Olympic 100m but if you ain't into 'winning' physical stuff, what does it really matter? :mellow:

If you like your food, hate physical activity, don't care for a wide range of cloths & don't give a monkeys about living a long & healthy life, why oh why should 'society' look at you with disdain?

I say good luck to ya. If ya likes a pie, eats a pie. ;) Your body is only a vessel in which to transport your mind. If you prefer to eat well & travel in a Volvo rather than a porche, good for you.

There's plenty of skinny folk to do all the running around.

Greg.

Re that specific attack, I was riding along a high street in traffic at about 10mph. I think you are right in your assumption that the dog must have chased (unbeknowest to me) as it attacked from behind striking & malling my calf & lower leg. This caused me to fall off the bike. It then moved to strike at my face. I instinctively put my arm up & it bit & mauled that. I then managed to kick it off & as I got to my feet, it ran back to the owner, who greeted it as if it was returning with a stick or a ball he had just thrown. Dripping with blood & wearing ripped cloths, I innocently asked the owner what had happened & he simply said 'he does that sometimes' & walked off! I wasn't really in the frame of mind (or physical condition) to pursue the situation. I was a long way from home, with a broken bike, severely shaken & in obvious need of urgent medical attention: Stitches & plaster. ohmy.gif

Hi Greg,

I think the bit I highlighted changes things significantly and in that situation, I think, as regretable as it would be, you'd have been justified if you'd had to do more than just kick it.

The attitude of the owner is horrifying for me, the utter inability to realise what had happened, or to even comprehend, I really hope they don't have kids.

The fact that you can come away from that and not be a dog hater is pretty damn impressive as well.

Ok, you ain't going to win the Olympic 100m but if you ain't into 'winning' physical stuff, what does it really matter? :mellow:

If you like your food, hate physical activity, don't care for a wide range of cloths & don't give a monkeys about living a long & healthy life, why oh why should 'society' look at you with disdain?

I say good luck to ya. If ya likes a pie, eats a pie. ;) Your body is only a vessel in which to transport your mind. If you prefer to eat well & travel in a Volvo rather than a porche, good for you.

There's plenty of skinny folk to do all the running around.

Greg.

Simples.

Okay, I'm not exactly a skinny guy, my weight tends to go up or down a stone or two depending on training. However I am healthy and fit. The point is, *most* people who are fat are not healthy and not fit.

These people are significantly more likely to develop heart disease or any other number of obesity related illnesses or injuries then skinny people and as such, cost me, that tax payer, money to treat their self inflicted illnesses.

I see our prime minsister Mr Cameron, has said the deceased Mr Moat does not deserve any sympathy. I tend agree with him on that one. Though I disagree with trying to remove a facebook page where people are leaving message of sympathy and also some rather scaving comments regarding the police (I am not saying Mr Cameron has asked for it to be removed, but some members of parliament have asked for it to be removed).

I find that no matter what happens there are people who just love to slate off the police. Leave them to it, at the end of the day, freedom of speech most not be policed. :waggle:

Edit:- A certain swear word wasn't picked up by the swear filter, hence, slate. :huh:

I think most people think that being fat is "ok", and particulary, thats its how "real women" look, and any woman who is thin is somehow unreal and must of starved themselves, when in reality being fat, in 95% of cases, is due to gluttony and lack of displine. You don't get fat from eating a pie now and again, you get fat from gourging yourself on junk and living an unactive lifestyle.

But thats fine with me, do what you want. But I think its a damn shame when you see a fat couple, with fat kids. I read somewhere that girls are ovulating earlier now cause they are fatter, which is confusing the body into thinking its ready for child birth.

To be fair, it's not always down to lack of willpower: I'm about 110Kg, or 17 stone. As soon as I hit 6'5" during my GCSEs, I've been around that weight, and I haven't really been able to shift the weight at all.

However, I'm not unfit, I excercise 6 days a week for an hour and a half at a time and I eat healthy. I find that at my local airsoft site I'm often at the head of a charge, I'm always running around and playing very aggressively and yet I am still a bit fat.

Given that all of the men on my dad's side of the family, running back about 4 generations, have been a bit portly, I'd say it's down to a variety of factors, not all of which are voluntary. I can't help the way my metabolism is predisposed. Genetics plays a part, psychological development plays a part, environment plays a part.

Though admittedly, most of the extreme cases you see are just down to too much pie. :D

To be fair, it's not always down to lack of willpower: I'm about 110Kg, or 17 stone. As soon as I hit 6'5" during my GCSEs, I've been around that weight, and I haven't really been able to shift the weight at all.

However, I'm not unfit, I excercise 6 days a week for an hour and a half at a time and I eat healthy. I find that at my local airsoft site I'm often at the head of a charge, I'm always running around and playing very aggressively and yet I am still a bit fat.

Given that all of the men on my dad's side of the family, running back about 4 generations, have been a bit portly, I'd say it's down to a variety of factors, not all of which are voluntary. I can't help the way my metabolism is predisposed. Genetics plays a part, psychological development plays a part, environment plays a part.

Though admittedly, most of the extreme cases you see are just down to too much pie. :D

Not necessarily too much pie but just ignorance as to how energy dense some food actually is, was eating a McDonalds 'meal' the other day to find it had over 1000cals in it and about 50-60% of the RDAs for protein/carb/fat/salt....personally I try to stick to 'high volume, low energy density' so I can keep stuffing my face and struggle to reach my daily calorie needs. My fridge is full of chicken breasts, mushrooms and frozen veg...I have simple tastes, it's healthy and eating lots goes towards putting on some muscle for moar powar - doing what I don't know but being able to lift heavy stuff is bound to come in handy at some point...like helping you're 130lb mate move into a third floor flat.

I think that's what's been bugging me lately, ignorance and laziness in all things by people. There's the nutritional thing but aside from that, I work in a paint shop that's geared towards selling to professionals but we are open to the public as well, paint is a surprisingly technical thing and saying you want emulsion to me with no idea what type of paint you want or an idea of how big an area you are covering really doesn't help me serve you unless I turn into the Starship Trooper brain bug and suck the information out of your head on a pointy tendril...by which point your problems go a wee bit beyond where the knotting solution is.

Another customer recently who almost had bigger problems along the lines of coming to physical harm was a gent old enough to know better who brazenly walked up to the counter and asked for some ni--er brown gloss. Being mixed race (a lot of people seem to think I'm from either the Middle East or Mediterranean depending on how much I've been in the sun or what facial hair I'm sporting rather than being a white-carribean mix) after taking a second to stop one of my eyebrows going into orbit I decided to serve the guy in the most patronising and condescending manner possible before discussing it with my manager who wasn't quite sure how to handle my response.

I consider myself a bit of an oddball and aside from the sheer ignorance of the guy in that using that particular word could quite possibly get him put in the dirt in other parts of the country (our store is located within a stones throw from a few rather affluent areas...yet they'll still balk at paying £20 for a litre of paint having gotten out of a 10 plate 3L engined range rover...) the third thought that came to mind and got on my nerves further was that without wishing to cause offence to anyone that to me, saying you want n-brown is like saying you want a pink, we've got about 16,000 colours in our database and you've managed to ###### me off by not only being ignorant, racially offensive you've also been incredibly vague and when customers are vague I have to spend more time with them, the more time I have to spend with them unless they are genuinely nice people (and we get a fair few which I'll go out of my way to help with tech info or saving them money) the more I feel like seeing how loud a noise a skull can make if bounced off our shiny metal counter.

And breath...

Unless you have some thyroid problem (which, you probably don't), if you eat less calories then you need, you will lose weight, unless your body can somehow create energy from nothing, in which case, crack on then ;)

I dunno about the thyroid problem - I know that two of my mother's sisters have thyroid problems. My main issue is that I'm quite strong, I do have quite a bit of muscle mass, but I'm still floating around 20-25% body fat. I'd like to get that down to 10-15%. Any tips?

Work out your BMR (google it, there are a bunch of calculators, if it gives options for activity, put it at sedentary), enter your stuff, it will tell you how many calories you need to eat in a day. Subtract 500 from that number. Its helpful to count your calories which effectively means noting down stuff you ate during the day and staring at the nutritional information on your food packages, fun fun. Basically if you drink quite alot of soft drinks and alcohol, stop! Its helps to exercise, but its not essential when losing weight, but it definatly helps, if you do that you'd be on track to losing 2lbs a week which is healthy weight loss, although you'll probably shed quite alot at the start from water weight etc. In terms of food etc RSM has the right idea - stuff like grilled chicken and vegatables is ideal as its got alot of nutrition and fairly filling without being loaded with calories. I helped a freind of mine do this, he was eating mostly grilled chicken and fish, and found it quite hard to eat enough, I had to tell him to eat more otherwise he'd risk loseing weight to quickly thing, which can sometimes be counterintuitive.

I should probably point out that I've not done this myself, (infact I'm trying to gain weight), I'm not a nutritionist, this is just stuff I picked up from the web.

But anyway yeah back to rants..

Archived