My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Want to end poverty? Ban the world bank and IMF, and prosecute their owners for the human rights criminals they are. But still ;)

One thing that annoys me, on that same subject, is the current motto of Barnardos charity shops. "Shop here if you believe in children" they say. That is clever, and it is also atrocious. So their statement is, if you DONT shop here, you dont believe in children? You have no interest in the welfare of kids if you dont give us your money?

Admittedly, I have never given Barnardos any of my money before, but I definitely do not intend to in future.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just vented some anger on some door preachers :D I tell them I'm an atheist, never read the bible, my parents didnt have me and my sister baptised. This is because one was catholic and the other was protestant and it caused problems in the family.

He carried on burbling, so I said "Conversation ends here" and shut the door. When someone says 'no' you should walk away!

So yeah, 'christiantards' (that is, christians who think everyone should think the way they do) are also a rant of the day. I have respect for anyone of any belief but not when they try to enforce it on others.

LOL I had two the other day. I told them that I believed the bible to be based on Technology and visitors from another world, with the resurrection and healing and wotnot. I told them if i went back to those times with a mobile phone, penicillin and a lighter they would think i was a miracle worker too. They soon went away :)

What really gets me is how someone knocks on my door, I open it and say "Hello?" or something, and I get "Is this your house?" or something back. <_<

Where's the "Good morning/afternoon, Sir, I'm Bob/Sue/Whatever and I work for XYZ company..." blah, blah, blah...? Why are you trying to sell something on my doorstep by being so rude and confrontational instead of being polite? Does this approach actually work with some people? :unsure:

I usually reply with "What the hell has that got to do with you? Who the hell are you and what makes you think your attitude is in any way appropriate?" This seems to surprise them - like they honestly never considered that they're being rude... It boggles the mind. :unsure:

I generally chat to the door-to-door religious peoples if I havn't got anything better to do. Last time the mormons came round I got a bible, some pamphlets and a phone number for 'the elder ones'.

I like to ask them questions leading into something they cannot explain, and the classic questions such as 'Why does God allow birth defects?', 'how did plants survive the great flood?' etc

Mormons are good, they have a lot of weird history, such as their founders killing Native Americans and settlers who didnt agree with them.

Jehovas witnesses are good too, 'why are only 144,000 people allowed into heaven?', 'do I have to compete to get in?', 'what if I took your place?' etc.

If you dont let them lead the conversation with their generally ###### spiel about their god it can be quite fun to chat.

Last time an actually polite person knocked on my door, I happened to be in uniform, getting ready to head out to the TA, so ended up chatting to the bloke for a while about the army and forces in general, turned out he was just marking time until his RAF application went through. I don't remember which charity he was trying to collect for, but I took some leaflets off him and he went on his way happy.

The ones who start off being rude just really annoy me, though. <_<

I don't know who coined thephrase but it's stuck for me - Chugging!

Charity Mugging.

Getting stopped in the street by the usually young, exuberant "right on" kids who seem to think that just by showing a "heart rendering" picture of some starving child that we will instantly melt and hand over our bank details to well meaning strangers.

Don't like it. I support 3 charities and that's it: the RNLI, Help for Heros and Bamako Bampots - that's it, my choice.

Last time a collector tried to stop me in town I found it amusing.

[cue bright eyed, bushy tailed young twenty something supporting 2 day "designer" stubble, and I kid you not, sandals]

"Excuse me sir, I'm collecting for..."

[Me] "Sorry, don't do Chuggers". And walked past. The confused look on his face made it worth. Not been bothered by any of them since.

at which point her daughter (in her 40s, maybe 50s) opens up. Tells me to show respect, and shut my mouth. I ask her where her respect for me is, she replies "Why should I show you respect?". I pretty much give up when she starts swearing (I didn't swear once).

I've found a swift jab to the throat will stop this kinda of back chat.

I support 3 charities and that's it: the RNLI, Help for Heros and Bamako Bampots - that's it, my choice.

I'm sure all of those are great charities - never heard of that last one, but the RNLI and HfH are certainly worthy causes - but you ought to add the RBL in there. For all the good work that Help for Heroes has done in the last few years, the Royal British Legion has been helping heroes since 1921.

I've found a swift jab to the throat will stop this kinda of back chat.

I'm far too mild-mannered for that type of thing... you will have to teach me your technique :D

---

On charities, the 2 I would donate to regularly (if I had the available free funds) are air ambulances, and RNLI...both organisations which really should be government funded in the first place.

I am probably going to pique some ires here but I do not donate freely to H4H or similar because I feel it is a soldier's choice to join and go to fight. I dont see any charities for professional drivers who get injured doing their jobs, and the two for me are pretty much the same scenario. I do buy a poppy once a year, to show my respect for those who fought for England.

Also on the subject, I have yet to be confronted with anti-abortionists. I hear that in the US, they show pictures of bloody fetuses (or is it fetii?!?) to make their case. At which point, I would laugh... :D

Those professional drivers get paid a WHOLE lot more than soldiers do. They're not the same at all. Soldiers are heroes, putting their lives on the line for your ungrateful *albartroth*. Drivers, footballers, and most other sporting "personalities" are overpaid, overhyped, egomaniacs, and not fit to polish the boots of anyone serving in Afghan.

You are right, of course, that the air ambulances and lifeboats should be run by the government. Of course, there shouldn't be a need for HfH or the RBL, either, since soldiers ex-soldiers should be given the support they need by the country they served. But they're not, at least, not in the UK.

I mean professional drivers as in truck/car/van/bus drivers who work for a living, not racing drivers. Everything you buy in a shop is likely to have been carried by a truck, trucks are the blood of the nation.

And sorry, but the current battles we fight are not for England in the slightest. Nothing that happens over there makes England any safer, or helps a single citizen. Thats as far as Im going there, but you know what I mean. Soldiery is a job.

Truck driving is a job too. I'm fairly certain that there will be at least one charity set up to benefit such people - God knows, everyone else seems to have them.

You are gravely mistaken about the benefits to the UNITED KINGDOM of the campaign in Afghanistan. A great deal of the illegal drugs that plague our streets are grown and processed in the region and sent on their way to poison British young people - the profits from which trade go on to buy weapons and explosives to be used against British and Allied troops.

British forces have a long standing policy of destroying drug fields wherever they find them in the area, while encouraging local people to grow more constructive crops.

It's bad enough to be fighting in a foreign craphole, without a lack of support from the civvies back home. :waggle:

The Taliban prevented the growing of opium crops. Theyve sprung back up now the Taliban has gone. The situation over there has just created more militants.

Afghanistan I can see some point to, the Taliban were ****s. Iraq, definitely not.

Most soldiers/ex soldiers Ive spoken to say they join because its a job, theyve always wanted to be in the army. Few say that they sign up for the ideology of being a good guy against evil etc.

I do not DISrespect soldiers. I respect them the same way I respect anyone who does a dangerous job, such as coal mining etc.

It doesn't seem reasonable to compare any other job - however dangerous - to combat. Most truck drivers, miners, postmen, etc. don't have brainwashed fanatics trying to kill them with guns or boobytraps on a daily basis.

Soldiers aren't responsible for where they're sent to fight by the politicians.

As for Iraq - me, I'm not pro evil, murdering dictators. Are you? We all know that the Iraq issue was driven by the US and mainly due to oil supplies. But can there not be benefits beyond such small-minded goals? Seems to me that the folks over there are likely to be better off without the lunatic that was running the place before.

Well, I'm sure all the dead civvies over there support the war, eh? Where are the charities for the injured, or the families of the dead civilians over there?

Anyway, this is likely to become a politics thread so I'll skip the rest of this bit. Needless to say, I don't think that any conflict waged since the Falklands has been 'for England'. I dont blame the soldiers for that, and I support every single one of them when I say that honourable men and women should not be sacrificed in dishonourable conflicts.

---

Addendum:

Another minor rant is how military service and patriotism appear in some quarters to be directly proportionate. Patriotism is love of country, what is best for that country. And militarism is rarely that.

England: A country.

Scotland: A country.

Wales: A country.

Cornwall: Not a country but it wants to be one and we should let it because then we could get a really big hacksaw and cut off a bit of needless, unwanted country and wish them well as they sail off the edge of the world making little shrieky noises... but in actual fact we need Cornwall to prove to the rest of the world that not all of the UK's weather is totally abysmal.

Northern Ireland: A country, but maybe we should let it be on its own so those Irish rapscallions can take over and get it out of our hair once and for all.

Isle Of Man: A small isolated place which, like most isolated places, is full of some of the most ignorant people I have ever met. So there.

Guernsey and Jersey: Not countries and we wont let them be because we need all of their rich people.

Anglesey: Sorry? Where? :P

Yeah, because that's working so well... rolleyes.gif

Mostly, England pays for those other parts of the UK. But that's not the point.

You could argue that, you could equally argue that London pays for England which pays for the rest of the UK.

You'd then have Scots arguing that actually it's North Sea Oil off the coast of Scotland that pays a big chunk towards the UK as well and that it's thanks to the Barnet agreement that they're not richer than they are and that England are a bunch of theiving barstewards for taking their oil, and as such, until Scotland is independant and able to control it's own resources, (in international waters), then this thievery will continue and all fo Scotland's ills are the fault of the English.

Truth is, short of revolution on one side of the border or the other, Scotland will not have independance until the oil runs out, then it will be cast adrift when the money it pays into the union is exceeded by the money required to keep the Scots from slipping into poverty. Or Mel Gibson becomes President of the USA, which thankfully can never happen.

I hate people who stop you in the middle of the stree to talk to you about ending poverty or donating some money to some other high-minded charity.

The other day, I had one girl try to stop me, so I shook my head. Now, bearing in mind she's wearing a t-shirt with POVERTY written in big letters on the back, and the name of some charity on the front, so her next words sorta made me facepalm.

"Oh come on, you don't even know wha I'm about to say."

Um, yes I do. So I say so.

"Yes I do and I don't agree."

That completely threw her and she just stood there behind me like she'd been slapped in the face. Eventually she managed to call out "Why?"

"Human nature."

Wasn't bothered by any others the rest of the day...

Basically, you were a total *albartroth*. The reason she was confused is that just saying "human nature" makes no *fruitcage* sense whatsoever.

Archived