My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While that is true as far as it goes, it has no more meaning than being born in Derbyshire, or Yorkshire. Yes, you're from there. You're British. The Welsh are British, the Scottish are British. Exactly the same as people from Texas, Utah, New York and Alaska are all American. They're still from wherever they are from, but that's not their nationality.

One country - the UK. One nationality - British. The rest is the past. England, Wales, Scotland aren't separate countries, and they haven't been for a long, long time. Longer than there has even BEEN a USA. It's long past time people joined the 21st Century and got over this petty small-minded BS. Countries change. Nations change. They joing together to form new, larger countries. That's progress. Sometimes they split apart into smaller, weaker ones. That's going backwards. Carry on down that road and you end up back at City-States and Tribes and things.

To move forward as a race of humans, as a world, we should be trying to form larger communities, not split apart ones that have already been united. :waggle:

I filled out a government form today that had English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish as options for nationality, so it would appear that it is reasonable to think of yourself as such.

You're chatting *suitcase*.

Firstly, if its human nature not to help, why are there charities? There are countless examples of how people help each other, and I'm sure if you can really think, you can find a few which you have experienced.

Secondly, you could of just been polite, or you could atleast made the point about how you take issue with the way the money is spent and where exactly it goes. But you didn't.

You probably think reading a bit of Nietzsche makes you a badass, right?

Human nature is ultimately selfish, and most people express this by not helping others. There are some who like to help others because it makes them feel good about themselves - which is again an ultimately selfish act. I could go deeper, but I won't.

I make it a point not to be polite to people who try to stop me in the road like that. If I wanted to donate to a charity like that, I'd go out and look for it so that I can, but at the mo, when I don't have a job, and when every penny is pretty much spoken for, I can barely afford to feed myself, never mind some nameless African kid I'll never meet.

Nope, never read Neitzsche. More of a Pullman/Abnett man myself...

My proclaimed nationality is English.

England is also part of the Great Britian, (England, Scotland & Wales).

Great Britain is part of the United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Here's where it gets confusing...

Passports:

The Passport and Identity Agency are the issuing authority for the United Kingdom, however they ascribe the default nationality of British. So although technically Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, it's citizens are British, even though they are part of the United Kingdon, not Great Britain.

Sport:

Football and Rugby internationally recognise England, Scotland and Wales as countries*.

Football recognises Northern Ireland as a country, but Cricket and Rugby do not, (NI and ROI are one country for the purposes of national teams)

Cricket seems to recognise Scotland as a minor county as well.

For the Olympic Games, only Great Britain is internationally recognised and the same applies to the majority of Olympic sports. I don't know about the Commonwealth games off the top of my head.

Also in sport, people can switch nationalities at the drop of a hat.

For example:

Andrew Murray and David Coulthard are both Scottish and British, British if they are winning, Scottish if they are not. There are many others, but I really can't be bothered to look them up.

In short, the value of nationalities within the United Kingdon has been weakened by successive "British" governments to the extent that now, the question of British Vs European will soon be as interchangable as the nationalities within the United Kingdon.

It's all a load of old cobblers.

I AM British, in the same way that I am European and I am bipedal. But my nationality is English :P

English is not your nationality. It is no longer *ANYONE'S* nationality. If anything, it *might* be your ethnic origin, if there can truly be said to be such a thing as "ethnic English". Why can you not get your head around this simple fact? It's not an opinion, it's a fact. The nationality of everyone from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is the same - British. It's not open for discussion, or subject for debate. It simply is the way it is. Until such a time as it is changed. Which the misguided idiots who insist on breaking up the Union seem to want.

But I suppose you refuse to accept this simple fact. I don't doubt that you would continue to argue that black was white, as well.

Such blatant disregard for actual facts in favour of what you would LIKE the truth to be infuriates me. Even more so from someone who normally displays a somewhat above average intellect.

Then again, that's why I gave up teaching. I simply cannot cope with the willful ignorance that surrounds me.

On the one hand, it would be slightly interesting to see what would happen if the UK dissolves. England as a separate country would theoretically be better off without the money-pits of Wales and Scotland, and Northern Ireland is nothing but trouble, no sane person would want to hang on to that pain in the *albartroth*.

What I suspect would happen, though, is that the "newly-created" independant states would all be "grandfathered" into the EU and money from England would still prop up the economies of the parts of the former UK that couldn't survive on their own. It would just follow a more convoluted journey to get there.

Either way, any more to break up nations into smaller ones is a step backwards and should be opposed. Although it appears that it's too much to expect most people to see past the ends of their noses where such things are concerned. <_<

My proclaimed nationality is English.

England is also part of the Great Britian, (England, Scotland & Wales).

Great Britain is part of the United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

You can proclaim your nationality to be English, Chinese, Byzantine, Sparton or anything else you please. It doesn't make it the case. It just makes you an idiot for ploclaiming a falsehood for all the world to hear.

Great Britain is the name of the Island on which the UK "mainland" is situated. It is not, and has never been, a country or nation in its own right. When the UK was formed, it was formed as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Prior to that, Great Britain was divided between Scotland and England (which ruled Wales absolutely, so it can only really considered to be a part of England in the same way that Lancashire or Essex is). To attempt to hark back to centuries-old tribal kingdoms as a means to claim "rightful" independance is the purest stupidity.

Why not simply break up all the nations into their older constituents while we're at it? Shall we have two dozen "countries" on the island of Great Britain, harking back to the pre-Norman tribal kingdoms? Mittel Angland, Wessex, and whatnot? Where do you want it to stop?

The fact that the governing bodies of various international sports are too stupid to stop the UK from entering three or four teams when everyone else only gets one is not a justification for the breakup of the UK. On the other hand, I suspect that they aren't being stupid at all. A British or UK team with the best players from all parts of the UK would no doubt be better than three or four teams, each with only SOME of the best players and some not-quite-so-good players to make up the numbers.

Lastly, how can there be a value of nationalities within the UK, when there is only *ONE* nationality within the UK? You're either British, or you're a foreign transient. If you are a permanent resident of the UK and hold a UK passport then you are British. If not, some would say why are you here at all? Me, I'm open to immigration and see no problem with immigrants keeping a sense of identity from where they came from. How could they not? However, I'd like to see such people embrace their new home. If they don't, why did they come here?

But I digress. People in Wales and Scotland have always bitched and moaned about being "oppressed" by the English and whatnot. It was largely harmless and mostly ignored as the stupidity it was. But recently, it no longer seems to be. By listening to these malcontents, they were granted legitimacy and credibility. Now people don't seem to know what country they live in or what nationality they are. How can you expect people to have national pride if they don't even know their own nationality? How can we build a strong nation and compete against other strong nations in a global marketplace without understanding that we're all on the same team?

The weakening I see around my sickens me. I seriously consider fleeing to the Colonies, who seem to have slightly more about themselves. Which is sad. At least all the people there known what their country is called and what nationality they are.

i think i speak for everyone when i say:

stfu.

todays newer rant: chinese AEGs. where the blazes have they all gone? i was certain only a few months ago most of the main shops restocked, now i cant find a kalash/dboys AKS-74 for love nor money!

He is also English, in the same way that the Scotch are Scottish and the Welsh are Welsh.

England is still a country, therefore people born here can still call them selves English if they want.

The only things that are scotch are eggs, Scottish people are Scottish, whisky is whisky, if it isn't Scottish it usually has an "E" in it making it whiskey.

People who call people or whisky or people "scotch" are usually foreign.

Commonwealth games off the top of my head.

The Commonwealth Games have Scottish entries.

I'm Scottish, I'm proud of being Scottish but I was in the British army, I was in the British army with a load of Yorkshiremen who were as proud of being Yorkshiremen as I was proud of being Scottish.

I will always put my nationality down as British but be proud to be Scottish.

I am also proud to be 6'2" tall and proud to be good at my job.

Nothing wrong with that.

Hedganian is British, though he lives in Ignorance. Maybe Ignorant should be allowed to be its own nation. Would save the rest of us a lot of hassle.

Hedge - your opinion is not fact. As far as I am aware (since I will not present this as empirical fact because I do not have confirmation from a government source to the opposite), England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are countries, Wales is a principality. Thats why it is called 'United' Kingdom, it is a Union of Countries. That is my position till I know otherwise. Till then, I'm done dealing with your *suitcase*.

Got a cold, and its driving me mad.

One thing I find when I go about my trvaels, is people call me scouser, not english or british, but scouser. I don't argue, as I couldn't careless tbh. Though if I am in the liverpool city centre and meet someone that is from Liverpool, they say am plastic scouser as am from Kirkby (Kirkby is not in the cities boundries, but is a part of Knowsley, Mersyeside). They reckon you have to be from Liverpool the city and not merseyside to be a scouser, again I couldn't careless. I've even been called a Kirkbyite, even though I had never heard of that before.

I think it depends on your location and also the people around you when talking about, where you come from. Its like everything has to be labelled, and everyone has their own idea of what that label should be.

You know what I say to people, am a human *fruitcage* being.

Hedganian is British, though he lives in Ignorance. Maybe Ignorant should be allowed to be its own nation. Would save the rest of us a lot of hassle.

Hedge - your opinion is not fact. As far as I am aware (since I will not present this as empirical fact because I do not have confirmation from a government source to the opposite), England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are countries, Wales is a principality. Thats why it is called 'United' Kingdom, it is a Union of Countries. That is my position till I know otherwise. Till then, I'm done dealing with your *suitcase*.

The nationality of people from the UK is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. You ARE British. This doesn't stop you being English, but your nationality is British, not English. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. Look it up if you are STILL having trouble wrapping your mind around it. Since you can't seem to understand a fact when you're shown one, you would seem to fit the definition of ignorance better than I.

Just had my new CIS financial advisor around, he is wearing crucifix cufflinks. That to me is the same as saying "I have an IQ of 60".

Thanks for letting me know you are spiritually retarded, but I really didnt want to know...

You are hardly flying the flag for atheism as the chosen belief system of intellectuals with comments such as these, my friend. :(

spiritually retarded?

as opposed to, what, everything happening by pure accident? two random particles of nothing, from nowhere, manage to find each other and collide at a great enough speed to somehow completely create the entire *frootcagio* universe?

It's fine if you dont like or agree with Christianity, or Islam, or Buddhism, or any other major organised religion (no, the flying *frootcagio* spaghetti monster does not count), but you dont exactly see me go around insult people for no real reason, do you?

Dont tar us all with same brush you narrow minded idiot.

Just had my new CIS financial advisor around, he is wearing crucifix cufflinks. That to me is the same as saying "I have an IQ of 60".

That's exactly what I think when I hear people insisting that they're not British, despite having been born and raised in the UK..... :waggle:

as opposed to, what, everything happening by pure accident? two random particles of nothing, from nowhere, manage to find each other and collide at a great enough speed to somehow completely create the entire *frootcagio* universe?

Yeah pretty much.

Wouldn't say religious people are mentally impaired - far from it! Does seem to be an "intellectual blindspot", though.

Archived