My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

You are hardly flying the flag for atheism as the chosen belief system of intellectuals with comments such as these, my friend. :(

Which I shall take as a gently worded way of saying "Only bad things can happen if you continue this line of discussion" :D

Actually, the comment was meant tongue-in-cheek but the fact that it has been taken literally made me think.

During my lovely shower, I came to the realisation that I am practically living in this thread right now. I can only blame things happening in my life - a legal situation which I have brushed on earlier, trying to get a better paid job, and a case of achilles tendonitis which seems to be taking forever to clear. I shouldnt really be taking my stress out on others.

Perhaps that is why, right now, I am spouting off whatever angst comes to mind. Time to take a step back and out of this thread for at least a week or two.

Anyone who has met me will know I am not an unreasonable person but I didnt realise that a bloody annoyance I was becoming.

I apologise to anyone who I have offended with any of my recent comments within this thread or elsewhere*. I dont mean any of it literally.

Sorry :)

- Guzzi

* except Hedge, cos he smells :P

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread owns.

Today's rant - I work as a cleaner in my local hospital. My gripe is members of the public deciding that it is perfectly acceptable to urinate all over the floor in the public toilets at work, especially after I've JUST freaking mopped them.

===========================

I also like how they dress up the most simple and menial of tasks with business speak, like so:

"Chris, I'd like you to liase with the rapid response technician to ensure that the hazard is taken care of efficiently and quickly before a potentially serious incident takes place."

Translation:

"Chris, get Lesley to mop that ###### up before some knob breaks their leg and puts a claim in."

===========================

Neither are we 'Healthcare Cleaning Assistants', or 'Domestic Hygiene Technicians'.

We are cleaners. End of.

You can't polish a turd, but you can, evidently, roll it in glitter.

This sort of thing is often part of a HR concept to "make employees feel better" about themselves and/or their job without spending more money by giving them a pay rise. Instead, they give them a grander-sounding job title.

Obviously, if you're a "waste disposal manager" you must be important, right? It says manager right there in the job title. It's a management job! :unsure:

Wrong. You're the guy who empties the bins. Nothing will change that. <_<

Yes, I'm a plastic scouser, and to make it worse, I now live in St Helens. I've gone from plastic to wool! Of course, this is what people call me, in a joking sense (Hopefully!)

New rant. My russian gorka E kit has just arrived and due to my cold I can't try it out as am not in the mood, boo hisssss. Rant plus one:- My SGC sling/mount/thingy still hasn't been shipped by the vest guy, its been well over 10 days now! Well its actually 8 days, not including weekends.

Rant plus two:- Also, anyone noticed that most documentrys these days, are very negitive about the subject they are covering (Be it marriages or not knowing who your biological dad is)?

The Taliban prevented the growing of opium crops. Theyve sprung back up now the Taliban has gone. The situation over there has just created more militants.

I know I'm three days late and the conversation has changed dramatically, but I missed this on my earlier reading and would just like to address it.

I have no idea where you read that, or if you just made it up as it is simply not true.

While it is true that the Taliban deemed consumption of opium derivatives 'un-Islamic' and meted out punishments for Afghan citizens that consumed it, they allowed the growing of opium for export as it lined their own pockets. In fact, senior Taliban Army commanders frequently received pay-offs by the drug lords to provide Talib guards for their poppy fields and shipments into Pakistan. In fact, between 1998 and 1999, opium production in Afghanistan doubled to approximately 4600 tonnes, more than 72% of the world's heroin trade.

This fits the Clinton administration's definition of transnational threats to a T, as profits from the opium trade allowed the Taliban to buy arms and equipment, which were shared with the Taliban's Al-Qaeda patrons, and the supply of opium aided criminal actors involved in the Western drug trade (the Western world is the largest consumer of heroin), this was a particular issue for the British government at the time, due to the increased activity and threat of criminal groups with a direct link to Afghan opium.

Time to take a step back and out of this thread for at least a week or two.

Doooooon't Gooooooo, come towaaaards the liiiiight.

Weeeeeeee Loooove yooooou

This thread owns.

You can't polish a turd, but you can, evidently, roll it in glitter.

Yes, yes it does.

Actually, you can polish a turd, the mythbusters did just that.

In future, please type: It is very difficult to polish a turd and ultimately pointless.

Religion, mine field there:

My thought is this:

If believing in the spontaneous conversion of all the energy in the universe is a stretch (big bang) and it is easier to believe that God did it for the lulz then:

Where did God come from?

There has to have been a point where he didn't exist, so what was happening before then and how did he begin?

Where did God come from?

There has to have been a point where he didn't exist, so what was happening before then and how did he begin?

That's a fairly impossible question to answer, being as the only proof of the existence of God is the Bible and that doesn't say, although you could speculate that if he does exist he exists simultaneously at all points of time.

Also, what caused the Big Bang? There must have been some trigger and if all the energy in the universe was inside then nothing could've been outside to do that.

Well considering that space is more the absence of matter, any place that doesn't exist could be described as "space". It's empty, there's nothing there, so yes, it could have existed beforehand, if it wasn't for the fact that space is the absence of anything.

Mabe it did, it doesn't mention the other planets or stars so mabe they were there before, perhaps it means he made everything in space when it says "heavens" as that pretty much means "2 (also the heavens) literary the sky, especially perceived as a vault in which the sun, moon, stars, and planets are situated:

Galileo used a telescope to observe the heavens" -OED

Bible is written by man and is therefore the most unreliable document in human history (apart from Dan Brown books).

I think the existence of a God is likely, but I would doubt he's on a level where he's concerned with the daily day to day of people on earth. If he does, he's just a kid with a magnifying glass and is totally batshit insane.

Bible is written by man and is therefore the most unreliable document in human history (apart from Dan Brown books).

Well actually it's written by dozens of different men over nearly 2000 years and it still doesn't contradict itself which is fairly impressive, if something like that was to happen without something/one in charge of it all you'd get conflicting opinions, confused/distorted fact/figures and generally wouldn't fit together. Most of the Bible is just written accounts of what was happening at the time and is therefore provable through archaeology.

Errr, the Bible does contradict itself, quite a few times. Admittedly, mostly in the New Testament, but a prime example is the description of the time of Jesus' birth. The most famous description is that of it taking place in the time of Herod and his massacre of every baby, whereas another account has it taking place around the time of a census (hence Joseph and Mary going to Bethlehem), but according to records, those 2 events never overlapped. Then there's the clumsy attempts to make Jesus fit the prophecies made in the OT, including one account that has Jesus riding 2 different animals at the same time during his entry to Jerusalem.

If you bake a cake, you can't put it on the table to cool if the table isn't there if you get what I'm saying?

Think of it less as putting the cake on the table and more as putting the ingredients into an empty bowl.

Yeah the bible has a fair few points that go against earlier made points. The translation of the old testiment caused problems too, esspecially angel, which actually means messenger not angel. Small translational errors like that, can cause huge problems.

If you believe in the big bang or in the religious explanation, both of them have plot holes.

Where Jesus is going, he doesn't need roads.

Also, I always thought it odd how people think the Old testament god (who gets the jews to exterminate hundreds of thousands of people just for not believing in him) is the same as the New Testament god (Peace, love, understanding and nowhere near as cool). The links are tenuous even in the bible, and it's always smacked to me of someone cashing in on some OT prophecies to set up a cult. Kind of like Mormonism, only more subtle.

Archived