My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Oh I got your point hedganian, in the pipe five by five so to speak.

You do seem very aggressive towards anyone who has religion in their life though. The point I was trying to make was that some people prefer an ever changing view to a more settled view. Be that right or wrong, is up to them.

Having faith for some, is a bit blinded in its approach. Though a theory (In its self reliant on faith), is an idea that can be changed, which is good. But I can understand how some poeple can use that as an arguement (Theory not truth) when comparing faith and theory as being one of the same. And as such the big bang theory has just as much merit for some, as the god messing about in the dark making heaven and earth, and then realising it would be nice if he could see it.

I don't believe in either quite frankly, as they both have there outlandish sides to them. Guess that makes me an agnostic.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm not trying to mess with people's heads but check this:

Even if time is circular (remember time can only exist if there is matter) then there must have been some matter i.e. the big bang has already happened.

Before the big bang there was no matter and therefore not time to be circular.

If time is circular then it must have started being circular as the big bang happened.

It might now be circular i.e. after each crunch the universe does not revert back to its pre-bang state but goes from pure energy/plasma/singularity/whatever back to an expanding ball of universe.

That still means that there must have been a before, however in that "before" there was no matter and therefore no time. Our minds can't conceive that so it keeps us awake at night.

You should look into the various energy states at the birth of the universe, there is an interesting quirk of quantum physics that allows neutrons to form from the matter/antimatter high energy plasma that existed at that energy density.

Had that not existed there would be no neutrons in the universe and therefore only hydrogen.

We wouldn't exist.

Screwing my mind! (Damn you) biggrin.gif

Which leads to the question, was the big bang the start of the absolute universe, was it just the start of the universe that we are aware of and our universe is actually the equivalent of a galaxy in a greater universe, or, are we in fact the electrons, neutrons and nuclei of atoms of a far greater particle?

Equally, could we actually be finding scientific explanations for the creationist view point that God created the universe.

Oh I got your point hedganian, in the pipe five by five so to speak.

You do seem very aggressive towards anyone who has religion in their life though. The point I was trying to make was that some people prefer an ever changing view to a more settled view. Be that right or wrong, is up to them.

Having faith for some, is a bit blinded in its approach. Though a theory (In its self reliant on faith), is an idea that can be changed, which is good. But I can understand how some poeple can use that as an arguement (Theory not truth) when comparing faith and theory as being one of the same. And as such the big bang theory has just as much merit for some, as the god messing about in the dark making heaven and earth, and then realising it would be nice if he could see it.

I don't believe in either quite frankly, as they both have there outlandish sides to them. Guess that makes me an agnostic.

Far too many people seem to confuse a plainly worded statement of opinions back up by facts as aggression. This confuses me. I can only assume it comes from a deep-seated insecurity - if your world view is too fragile to stand up to something that calls it into question, then that something is perceived as an attack.

Your "ever-changing view" is one of science. Science is constantly refining its understanding of the world around us, questioning the explanations we have come up with so far and testing things. Creating explanations that fit the observations, rather than trying to fit observations to the preconceived explanations. This is not to say that there will be no resistance to a new idea or to a long-held position being overturned, but if there is actual evidence to support why the previous position was wrong and the new position is more accurate, then it will be accepted.

The other good thing about science is that it doesn't require anyone's belief, or faith. Science can stand on its own merits. Relgions require blind faith and devotion because they have no factual basis to rely on.

Stunt - The infinite bang/crunch cycle didn't have to start somewhere. That's the beauty of "infinite" - it has no beginning and no end. At least to our understanding. While this might sound mind-blowing (and it is) and even a bit relgious ("the alpha and the omega, blah, blah") it's currently the best theory we have, and has wide support amongst the scientific community. There are other theories out there, but this is the one I'm most convinced by. Until a better one comes along, anyway...

You might want to check on that, then, because if that's what you've been taught then you have been misled. :waggle: To what level have you studied the subject?

The acceleration of steller bodies from each other is decreasing. At present, they are still moving apart at ever-increasing speed, but the rate of the increase of speed is decreasing. One day, the speed will be constant. Then, it will start to decrease, inevitably leading to a halt of expansion and indeed, thereafter, to contraction.

My bad!

'Planets etc are accelerating away from each other' is all we were taught (red shift etc), but I didn't know that the acceleration is decreasing.

I did GCSE Physics and I've just finished AS level too.

And that must go for you too hedganian (About plainly worded explanations, been taken as an aggressive stance or attack), as the word "seem" last time I checked, does not mean fact more a possible view.

And thats the glory of the net, anything can be mis-read if you attach emotion or if you have a personnal view. In this case, you "seem" to come across as not liking people who have religion in their life. This is an assumption or theory I have about you, based on previous posts. And don't take it as an attack as I typed this very slowly and without emotion. You also missed the Aliens reference as an "attempt" to bring humor to my previous post earlier in the thread.

Edit:- Also, this could definitly be perceived as an attack, as you have said deep-seated insecurity, ouch, that hurts:- "I can only assume it comes from a deep-seated insecurity - if your world view is too fragile to stand up to something that calls it into question, then that something is perceived as an attack."

Assumptions are the mother of all *fruitcage* ups remember.

Also, what do you think my world view is, by the way, as I would be interest in your pyschological view of me via a brake down of my posts. As that is all you can go by, right?

I got the reference, merely chose not to comment upon it.

I didn't take your post, or your previous post as an attack. I was simply responding to your comment. Furthermore, I was not seeking to imply that you, personally, have an insecure worldview, I was simply trying to explain a thought process of mine. The "you" in my sentences is not a person "you" meaning "Habakure" but more a general "you" meaning "people in general who exhibit this behaviour."

Anyway, now I'm off to Scotland for the weekend.... <_< Deep joy. Looking at the weather, it's probably a good think I've packed my goretex.

See y'all on Sunday evening.

Have fun in scotland, if you don't like rain, then I hope it doesn't rain for you. I like rain, think I'm the only person I know of, who does.

New rant:- Post man alledgedly knocked at 10.12am (To delivery a parcel that needed a signature), but he mustn't have knocked, as I was up and sitting in the dinning room. This is the 3rd parcel in succession that they have left a note (saying they tried to knock). The wierd thing is Parcel Force actually does knock (Can't miss them as they are always in a big transit van), but the post office man in a van, never bothers.

naff postal service

On a similar note:

I sent an RPK bipod out earlier and the first two post offices I went to were shut for lunch.. Who in this day an age shuts for lunch? Its like living in France.

New rant:- Post man alledgedly knocked at 10.12am (To delivery a parcel that needed a signature), but he mustn't have knocked, as I was up and sitting in the dinning room. This is the 3rd parcel in succession that they have left a note (saying they tried to knock). The wierd thing is Parcel Force actually does knock (Can't miss them as they are always in a big transit van), but the post office man in a van, never bothers.

^QFT. I'm surprised they actually knock for you, because they certainly don't here. Perhaps they simply approach my door, stare at the doorbell for a second or two and expect it to make a noise in response, and when it doesn't, they scarper so they can get to their lunch quicker, meaning I have to faff around going out of my way to the delivery office as a result of their incompetence <_<

Which leads to the question, was the big bang the start of the absolute universe, was it just the start of the universe that we are aware of and our universe is actually the equivalent of a galaxy in a greater universe, or, are we in fact the electrons, neutrons and nuclei of atoms of a far greater particle?

Equally, could we actually be finding scientific explanations for the creationist view point that God created the universe.

My answer to life and to quote one Bill Hicks

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration — that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death; life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather! "

Ive moving from one apartment in my complex to another since its the end of the season and my lease is up. When signed my lease for next year they told me Id have several days to move between them, which was important since I would be taking my sumer finals at that time. Then I get a call a few weeks ago saying I would have only the tenth to move. Seriously sucked, but I reorganized my finals so Id be able to do it. Then I get a call yesterday saying I had to move today and only today. I told her about the previous call she checked with that manager and said I could start moving today and have until the tenth. Awesome. Go in today to get the new key and am told I am to be moved by tomorrow morning. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

People that feign intelligence.

Have a friend that constantly talks as if he is classically educated. I reference Cicero in a debate expecting him to back up my arguement and not only does he fail to get the reference, I strongly doubt he even knows who Cicero is and I end up looking like a twat.

I have no problem with people that aren't paticularly intelligent, because I am not, but don't claim you are. If you ask me what I know about Geography or Biology or Physics I will happlily tell you that I know absolutely nothing, I am, thicker than the proverbial pigshit when it comes to plenty of things. But don't pretend you are the fountain of all knowledge, especially when you are around people that clearly know the subject back to front.

My answer to life and to quote one Bill Hicks

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration — that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death; life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather! "

There is a repost just made of solid gold WIN. biggrin.gif

People that feign intelligence.

Have a friend that constantly talks as if he is classically educated. I reference Cicero in a debate expecting him to back up my arguement and not only does he fail to get the reference, I strongly doubt he even knows who Cicero is and I end up looking like a twat.

I have no problem with people that aren't paticularly intelligent, because I am not, but don't claim you are. If you ask me what I know about Geography or Biology or Physics I will happlily tell you that I know absolutely nothing, I am, thicker than the proverbial pigshit when it comes to plenty of things. But don't pretend you are the fountain of all knowledge, especially when you are around people that clearly know the subject back to front.

I think you'll find you mean education rather than intelligence.

Too wind up quoting Cicero means a pretty specific level of education or to much Civ/Total War playing :

I hate cramps. Goddamn, do I hate them, especially when you get it the night before a 4 hour drive home from a quite fun wedding. Oh, and spray on deep heat is disgusting stuff. Stinks and sticks in your throat like *suitcase* to a blanket. Yuck.

Lolololol yous has ladys problems

Too wind up quoting Cicero means a pretty specific level of education or to much Civ/Total War playing :

Mmmmm to get Leonard Nemoy read:

"Hard Pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest"

He's probably one of my favorite narrators

It didn't rain in Scotland. It was sunyn and hot. Which meant that all the wet weather and freezing cold gear that I'd taken with me was useless weight... Stupid weather. I mean, I like the nice weather, but I prefer not to be surprised by it.

Fortunately, I happened to have sun cream in my kit du to being too lazy to take it out.

I didn't get much sleep, though, so early night for me, I think.

Lolololol yous has ladys problems

Eh? Missus hadn't gone to bed by then, I'd gone to our room early 'cos I was knackered, and I got into bed...WHAM, cue curling up in pain for about half an hour.

Got another bloody cramp when we got home. Same sodding leg, different bloody muscle. Grrr.

Eh? Missus hadn't gone to bed by then, I'd gone to our room early 'cos I was knackered, and I got into bed...WHAM, cue curling up in pain for about half an hour.

Got another bloody cramp when we got home. Same sodding leg, different bloody muscle. Grrr.

Perhaps he thinks you're a female, and it's your time of the month?

Today's annoyance:

People who seem to be rude just for the sake of it.

It costs nothing to say 'good morning' after it has been said to you, or 'thankyou' after someone has held a door open for you.

At the hospital where I work, doctors are especially guilty of this.

Sort it out. <_<

Archived