My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers lads.

For sure, I'll be taking plenty of painkillers. Brufen, codeine, all that good stuff. I might not know what day it is, but if it gets me through to the other end then I couldn't care less. :D

The boots I had on today are the same ones I'll be using on the hills, they're Lowa copies from WebTex. Comfy, reliable and they give great ankle support, which is good news for the hike, but I don't think they could have prevented what happened today. Just a slippery, stealthy log is to blame methinks.

It still hurts like a bar steward, but I managed to drive home alright, and I can walk a little if I don't put too much weight on my right leg. Good signs I guess. I've done RICE and right now I'm just concentrating on getting as much rest in as possible.

Not a rant... but an irritation. 'Human Resources' companies with stupid standard forms.

I want to apply for Firstbus. There are 3 problems here...

First problem is, it seems that each former employer reference you have tots up more 'points'. Not enough points, no prizes.

Secondly, I have been at the company I am with now for over 8 years. I was with Arriva for 21 months before that. This means that because I have been loyal to employers, I only have one reference so I am less likely to get a job...

Final problem is that the only reference I can give before that is... Firstbus. Where I got sacked after an accident. Yes, I was told I could reapply after 3 years and I've put that down on the form but... how does that look to the HR company?

Nil points...

One for Stealthbomber this....

I was on the Griso yesterday stuck behind some cars through some stupid bloody double-white lines on the B5035. A white bike cruises up behind. So once I could clear the campervan I went for it to enjoy the road. Now I could see this bike was a sit up and beg style, so I didnt expect it to keep with my low cruiser. But it did.

I dont know the road so I was pretty conservative, admittedly... 90-95 on straights, down to 70-80 for corners...and it stuck like glue. GRR. Most sportbikers can't keep up with me when I'm going for it, I had dispatched a team of about 10 of them earlier in the ride.

So I finally decided "Its your turn to lead for a while" and waved it past. Again he rode fast but conservatively, the type of speed I would do myself, and I kept with him but I gotta tell you it was a struggle on the straights. I couldnt believe it!

Now, a little about my bike... its a '57 Griso 1100cc, rated at 91hp, 79ft/lbs torque... but it is considered the best handling Guzzi ever made (which is good, they are excellent Italian machines). So its less powerful than a 600cc Japanese superbike but a LOT more torque. Not too heavy either, about 250kg or so fully wet.

So I got home, a little seething about how I hadnt managed to shake this enduro style bike. I thought it was a Yamaha TDM850 or something like that.

Just had a look up... it had some distinctive features which I could pick out. Now I know what it was...

A bloody DUCATI Multistrada. At 150hp he had a clear 60hp over me.

So my rant is... who the hell puts 150hp into this...?

multistrada_2010.jpg

Gits! :ranting2:

---

Edit: Put another way, an almost-stock Multistrada won and set a new course record this year at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb... !

@ Tinkerbell: No, I'm angry that although you used to be a friend, you only seem to comment on any of my posts or even refer to me when you are attempting to antagonise. What a shame... that I dont care :P

---

Actually, I'm angry that Ducati have put such a powerful engine in a normal looking bike :P Its like rolling up against a Hillman Avenger in a BMW, only to find out the thing is just an Avenger body on a Ferrari chassis, and has a 6 litre, blown, nitro engine. It's being caught out by the unexpected.

Dave has it pretty much on the mark :D

It just happens that your posts are the easiest to comment on. I've not got a vendetta against you or anything... :huh:

anyway. I've always been tempted to make a proper 'sleeper' car. something like my existing 205 with its atrocious body condition and the like with a nice remapped 2000cc TDI engine in it.

or something like an old transit with a 14800 cc v8 TDI from a GAZ truck.... :D

My rant for today? The keyboard warriors who take a friendly airsoft forum and feel that, just because they're not conversing in real life, they can act like arses, thus ruining the atmosphere that a lot of people work hard to maintain. :)

Just to clarify, this thread will die the moment you kids start to use it for scoring interweb points against each other. Arnies isn't about that; please find another forum if you want to massage your delicate egos.

Rant of the day. Ar style mags for the ak47. Of course the galil has these style mags, but they should look wrong in a normal ak47. But they don't.

Link:-

http://www.gunnerairsoft.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1641

Whats my rant?

I'm tempted to buy one.

Self hate, think am turning into a 30's emo.

anyway. I've always been tempted to make a proper 'sleeper' car.

Yes! If I somehow became a millionaire and had a load of money to waste I'd do that with a Defender 90 I think. Biggest petrol engine I could fit in the front and another in the back and dual rear wheels to cope with the torque.

or something like an old transit with a 14800 cc v8 TDI from a GAZ truck.... :D

Yes! If I somehow became a millionaire and had a load of money to waste I'd do that with a Defender 90 I think. Biggest petrol engine I could fit in the front and another in the back and dual rear wheels to cope with the torque.

I love sleepers but just smashing a gigantic engine in a beat up old wreck is not going to do you any good.

Tink, that engine is only 300 hp and 89 lb/ft but it weighs over a tonne.

The engine itself is only 200 kg less than my whole car and my car is really fat.

Sleepers have to be able to corner too, estates are a great place to start, people just don't expect them to be fast.

There are loads of power crazy German ones out there now but on a budget you can look here:

Skoda Octavia vRS estate

Subaru Legacy GT-B twin turbo

Audi RS2

Volvo 850 T5-R

I have the vRS but not in the estate body shape and it really surprises a lot of people, if I had to have a different car I'd have the GT-B.

Another great idea is the BMW 320iS without the M-Technic body kit, it is basically the E-30 M3 but with a slightly shorter stroke and no nasty square wheel arches.

Great little sneaky car.

Get any of those, smash in some really clever coil overs, decent setups, awesome diffs and quality tyres and you'll shock a lot of people.

I don't tend to do it much any more, as lack of money requires more sensible driving, but my VW Passat estate has pretty good acceleration and can leave most cars behind if I really open it up. Assuming it's not full of kit, of course. It's also great for carrying 20+ replica guns (weekend just gone) to a film set, towing a trailer full of anything and everything, and all manner of other practical things that you just can't do with a "sports car".

W8 4-Motion?

That's a beast.

But even the "normal" passat is pretty swift, the Octavia is basically a Passat (Longitudinal engines) with a Golf (transverse engines) front end. and it only takes 150+ hp to surprise people if you drive meaningfully.

Basically, any car driven with purpose will beat a car being "used" by somebody who isn't thinking and doesn't care.

I thank this forum (forgot which member) for cementing my diaphanous thoughts with a phrase.

One of you told me my road rage was due to the difference between car "drivers" and car "users" and that bikers are usually "riders" rather than "users" which is why they don't annoy me as much.

Actually, the octavia is just a golf with a fancy body shell on it. The Superb (older shape, anyway) is just a passat thats been stretched a few inches. (same longitudinal engine, too)

As evidenced by the fact that a majority of Mk 5 golf GTI parts will fit/are the same as Octavia vRS parts.

Stunt: didnt know that GAZ engine only had 300hp. surely its got some torque, though?

might just better getting a decent audi/vw 2.5l tdi, and a decent remap, etc.

No, mine is the 1.9 TDI, 160 hp. Same as the "regular" passat, but tuned a bit better. I'm not saying it's anything amazing in petrolhead circles, but it goes like a bat out of hell if you know how to get the best out of it, and the milage stays pretty good even if you drive a bit aggressively. With a somewhat conservative style and keeping the speed down, I get get 50+ mpg on almost every journey.

Even better than that, it runs nicely on veggie oil. :)

Edit: All VW group cars are basically the same, just different rim levels and suchlike.

Actually, the octavia is just a golf with a fancy body shell on it. The Superb (older shape, anyway) is just a passat thats been stretched a few inches. (same longitudinal engine, too)

As evidenced by the fact that a majority of Mk 5 golf GTI parts will fit/are the same as Octavia vRS parts.

Stunt: didnt know that GAZ engine only had 300hp. surely its got some torque, though?

might just better getting a decent audi/vw 2.5l tdi, and a decent remap, etc.

Mine is a MKI Octavia and it has a lot of parts compatibility with a MKIV Golf but there are significant differences.

The rear anti-roll bars aren't compatible and not all of the rear suspension components are either.

A lot of stuff is though, even door cards and rear seats.

That said my front suspension is all non-Skoda.

That Gaz engine seems to have a very low specific power:

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1566.html

You pay for Russian, you get Russian.

In the UK, I'd stick with a Rover V8, you get all the power and component support and none of the Diesel dramas.

No, mine is the 1.9 TDI, 160 hp. Same as the "regular" passat, but tuned a bit better. I'm not saying it's anything amazing in petrolhead circles, but it goes like a bat out of hell if you know how to get the best out of it, and the milage stays pretty good even if you drive a bit aggressively. With a somewhat conservative style and keeping the speed down, I get get 50+ mpg on almost every journey.

Even better than that, it runs nicely on veggie oil. :)

Hey, 160 hp with a big gob of torque, well driven is easily good enough.

My car has no torque at all but I don't care, just means I get to thrash around everywhere with 5000 revs on...

Archived