My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Bloody DVLA

Jenny (one of my 3 Xantias) passed her MoT, got her insured and taxed online.

She was previously SORN (ie every year you tell the DVLA you've been a good boy and kept the car off the road so you don't pay tax), it's mid December, although bought last week, the tax is valid from the 1st December.

So, can I drive without displaying my tax disc as it's in the post?

Well, you get 5 days grace, although some of the info says this is the first 5 days of the month after your tax/sorn expired.

Except her SORN expires somewhen next summer.

An ANPR check wouldn't flag anything up as she's MoT'd, Taxed and insured, but a visual check would show no tax disc displayed.

Why can't they just make things clear?

I mean they send you an email confirming you've bought new road tax, so why can't they calculate whether you can drive or not and say so in the email?

Something like "As it's the 12th December, you can't legally drive your vehicle until the disc arrives" or "You can now legally drive your car on the road, but if your disc doesn't arrive in 5 days, you must contact us and do not drive your vehicle."

Oh for some joined up thinking in Wales.

Thank goodness I've got Cassy to drive.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xaccers, just drive it.

If you get stopped just tell the fingermen that you've bought a disc and it's caught in the mail horror.

Habakure, sounds like you and I need to change friends for the rest of the month.

I am getting really fed up of the way people always try to defend Christmas like it's a personal friend when I tell them it's a shameful, hollow, meaningless, depressing pile of ###### that people only celebrate because of inertia stupidity or greed.

What did frankie boyle actually say? I don't want to laugh or enjoy it, I would just like to see/hear exactly what he said and not just fragments (I'm going to try and wacth it on 4od but I don't like the show and would rather just see the segement then sit through searching the show for that joke). :(

Also, Jordan is a *fruitcage* hypocrit. She was going to say a news reporter had HIV/AIDS just to spread lies about them, as Jordan said it was jutsifiable due to the fact the media/journalists spread lies about her. What a *fruitcage* *rickroller*. :waggle:

He said:

"Sooner or later either Jordon or Peter will lose the custody battle and one of them will have to keep Harvey"

followed by:

"Its not surprising that Jordon wants to marry a boxer, she needs someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f**king her"

or words very similar to that. The first part is very cruel yet rather amusing ( few people will admit to that however ), the second part isnt funny and doesnt really make much sense unless Im missing something ( I dont watch either Peter or katie's 'reality' shows, rather stick pins in my eyes )...

Ah, thank you for the clarification on what he said (Frankie Boyle). I'd just say it was a *suitcase* joke, not go on a crusade.

I think I should clarify why I like Christmas, its the music, food and family getting together. yes I knwo they should make an effort during the year but for some reason its more yearly that everyone gets together than every now and then. Couldn't careless about the presents (Although I do enjoy getting people presents that they really want), just love getting together with my family who live all over the uk and get ######.

Edit:- Also, amateurstuntman I have mates who don't like christmas etc, I don't try to justify why I like it to them just as I don't appreciate people having a go at me for liking it, two sides of the same coin. If some one trys to force it on you, thats wrong and also if someone trys to force some one into not liking it, that is wrong.

A great deal of the problem is that it is seemingly impossible to escape Xmas if you want to. Every shop has Xmas decorations and music from mid/late November onwards. It's on TV, the radio, websites, everywhere, forced, insincere joviality and "festive spirit"...

If it still genuinely means something to you, then more power to you. But I'm afraid that you're in a minority, as far as I can see.

Try working on a miniature railway in a country park at Christmas... As much as I love my job, and the whole festive spirit, the Fairground organ that we have at the railway at the moment is the most annoying contraption on Earth...

Doesn't work properly, only has about 30 minutes worth of songs (over a 7 hour day!) and doesn't even manage to play them properly. This is what plays when "The Twelve Days of Christmas" comes up:

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree!

On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree!

On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree!

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree!

And then, on the fifth day, things get worse:

On the fifth day of christmas, my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree... four calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!

By this point, i've zoned out completely, and started working out how to kill myself with a pair of ticket clippers!

You'd have thought that someone who owns one of these kind of things, which are very popular with the kids at Christmas shows and such would at least maintain the sodding thing properly... Standing in the cold all day, listening to the same mangled carols time after time was not the most enjoyable experience i've ever had!

I think I would get annoyed listening to the same music over and over again, be it christmas music or even my beloved Aliens soundtrack.

@Hedganian, I definitly know am in the minority with this one. I always try to tell people to get me little things or nothing at all, would much rather have a drink with them, than fret over what to get me for Christmas (Maybe I'd let them buy me a hobgoblin). Some poeple are evil little *suitcases* when it comes to Christmas and are only concerned with getting the most expensive gift off poeple. If all I got was Screwball Scramble this Christmas, I would be made up.

I can easily sit in by myself with the Christmas lights on listening to Christmas music (Mostly from the 70's and 80's I might add). I do agree they force it down your neck and I tend not to go into Liverpool city centre in November if I can help it (Most years I had no choice as I worked in the city centre), as the whole putting decorations up early (In my opinion) is off putting.

Edit: Read that back, am one sad christmas gitt, arn't I? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I am very offended at what frankie boyle said, as I think his joke was SICK and I am OUTRAGED, but mostly because being OUTRAGED IS A VERY EASY WAY TO COME ACROSS AS A COMPASSIONATE AND ETHICAL HUMAN BEING WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING TO DO ANYTHING OF VALUE!!!!!!!111

yours,

outraged of burgess hill (sub division of middle england's sense of persecution complex)

I wish Mods wouldn't delete whole batches of posts, leaving no trace. It's thoroughly confusing...

You should really be wishing that people wouldn't post replies to necroposts instead of reporting them and waiting for them to be deleted, meaning mods wouldn't also have to delete the replies and thereby not confuse you.

I wasn't aware that it was against forum rules to reply to an old post in a topic that is still active and current. Perhaps you could point out the section of the rules that applies to the matter?

Seems to me that it is yet another example of over-enthusiastic Moderation. Forums have gone down that road before, and we know where it leads. I, for one, would really hate to see Arnie's go the same route due to the actions of a few.

EDIT: Actually, having checked the Forum Rules and Guidelines thread linked at the bottom, it seems there is NO RULE banning "Necroposting" at all, nor any guideline about not doing it.

It would be nice to have Mods enforce the actual rules rather than making up their own.

I wasn't aware that it was against forum rules to reply to an old post in a topic that is still active and current.

It's not against the rules to reply to old posts, but if a necropost amounts to nothing but an oblivious attempt to continue a 6-year old conversation, it's usually not doing much other than cluttering up the thread. If it also happens to be a comment like "yeah, chavs suck, I wish I could shoot them with my AEG!", there's a good chance that it will be deleted.

It's context specific. Necro-posting per se is not prohibited but as with all posts there is an expectation that they will at least be vaguely productive. Posts as Elrey referred are clearly spam and so leave the poster open to the usual consequences.

Anyway, back on topic...

This week:

a) My boiler broke. My house is freezing and I have no hot water.

B) My car was resprayed for minor accident damage (a woman reversed into the front of my car). Within a day I have stone chips due to another woman overtaking me dangerously.

c) The new graphics cards for my pc not only didn't work but were so rubbish I've had to send them back.

I wasn't aware that it was against forum rules to reply to an old post in a topic that is still active and current. Perhaps you could point out the section of the rules that applies to the matter?

Seems to me that it is yet another example of over-enthusiastic Moderation. Forums have gone down that road before, and we know where it leads. I, for one, would really hate to see Arnie's go the same route due to the actions of a few.

EDIT: Actually, having checked the Forum Rules and Guidelines thread linked at the bottom, it seems there is NO RULE banning "Necroposting" at all, nor any guideline about not doing it.

It would be nice to have Mods enforce the actual rules rather than making up their own.

Spam and Irrelevant Posts

Keep all your posts relevant. Adding posts that contribute nothing to the conversation (spam) will be deleted. Do not 'bump' your threads by posting irrelevant information or just "bump". It is spam and will be deleted. Persistent spamming will result in warning points being added to your account, a suspension, or a ban from the forums.

Make sure that your posts are relevant

Irrelevant or pointless posts take up space and waste other peoples' time. If posts contribute nothing to the conversation or the community, they will be deleted. Give advice only if you are sure what you are talking about. Don't mislead people as at best you are risking their money, and at worst, you are risking their safety. You may give clues if are uncertain, but do not speak with authority if you are really only trying to guess.

If you have an issue with my moderating you are welcome to PM Marlowe or Arnie, or any other member of staff (or even me if you want to raise an issue directly), but please do not clutter up the thread.

I don't think Regulation goes as far as pricing. I do get the feeling that people ask for 3rd Party insurance because they think it ought to be cheaper than full comp. So, insurance companies inflate the price of 3rd party insurance. Here's another example (I didn't believe it until I saw it).

Supermarket pricing. Have you ever seen those 'One for price X, but two for price Y' labels? Does anyone actually read them? My mum went to Tesco's and brought one of those labels back (Yup, she removed it from the self as proof). It said "99p each or two for £2".

People are dumb!

Archived